Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I guess If FR/Lippert thought I needed shocks they would have put them on. I understand what you do and like to do OC , but really they are not necessary...Why make a mt. out of a mole hill?
Quote:
You are going to dolphin no matter what my truck has 4 shocks brand new the best that can be bought...
What I am trying to convey to you is the shocks on the trailer stop the dolphining while towing. BTW, you do not dolphin without a trailer it's just bouncing on crappy FoMoCo suspension.

I believe you are the one making a mountain out of a mole hill. I got mine fixed.

in your buckin' bronco.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #82
Owner/Operator

gljurczyk,

I see in your sig that you have the 4 point level up.

When I inquired about getting it installed on my 8289WS I was told that the frame was too weak to use that system.

Who installed for you, or was it a DIY?

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #83

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
You are going to dolphin no matter what my truck has 4 shocks brand new the best that can be bought (recommended by turbo and my wife even said thanks to him) and my truck will still bounce towing or not. For 3 years I have left a coffee pot on my counter and also nothing falls out of my cupboards or refer when I stop and open them. To each his own the mods you helped me with where for convenience for me which I will always be grateful for but that has nothing to do with shocks to make the unit ride easier. We are not comparing apples to apples here. I added the 4 pt because I got tired of an uneven trailer and now it stops all arguments about the shower not draining or the doors won't stay open or I'm walking up hill, no more of that anymore. Only problem now is that I have to buy more crap to load in the front end to increase my pin weight. Now that's a great problem to have.....
I don't like like a shower that doesn't drain either, I leave the nose a tad high to stop that.
Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #84
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
gljurczyk, I see in your sig that you have the 4 point level up. When I inquired about getting it installed on my 8289WS I was told that the frame was too weak to use that system.
Who installed for you, or was it a DIY? RodeoGeorge
Glenn got the system in Goshen at the rally. I think they told him that his was the only one they would do after installing his. They had to do a lot of reinforcing to his frame, etc. Took the better part of a day.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #85

Send a message via AIM to B and B
They will install a motor driven system I was told by lippert. I guess I am thinking the cost of such is over improving the 8289. Looking that we most likely will get another 5th wheel to retire into. Will buy all the gadgets on that one.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #86

Quote:
gljurczyk,

When I inquired about getting it installed on my 8289WS I was told that the frame was too weak to use that system.

RodeoGeorge
George, I had it installed by Lippert at the Rally, took them all day from 7:00AM to 4:30PM at the plant. I was suppose to get a 4 point electric, but Monday I talked to the head Engineer of Creative design. He said do not go with the electric and it was to slow. So they talked me into the hydraulic level up, the show price was 4200.00 installed, the electric was 3200.00. When they seen it was a Rockwood they called in 2 welders. Had to reinforce the frame with 2-2x2 cross beams and then added 2 I think it was 3/16 channel about 3' long right behind the rear axle. they removed the front landing gear and installed the pump and tank in the corner, which really gives me more storage area. They hung the control panel in the locker so it right there when I open the hatch. They said that I will have no twisting that I was afraid of. Also said it was the first one they did. They tried to charge me 4600.00 due to the welding and I said no. Talked with the same Creative engineer the next day, he said they had to due alot of reinforcing, but being they only could do a 4 pt. he called them and had them drop the price to 3600.00 he said a deal is a deal those jacks cost about 500.00 each. So i got a good deal. Any problems it is on Lippert they installed it and straightened the frame. The welder told me that he doubted they would ever do another Rockwood, but the creative engineer was great about the whole thing, Glad I got it done, don't plan on buying anything else because we love the trailer and plan to keep it. In about 3 mos they are coming out with what is called a black cat system, each ram will have it own reservoir and then they just plug in the electric to run the pump on the ram no more hydraulic hoses but the frames will still need the welding to stop any flexing at all.... Lippert interviewed me and took pictures of the install.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
They will install a motor driven system I was told by lippert. I guess I am thinking the cost of such is over improving the 8289. Looking that we most likely will get another 5th wheel to retire into. Will buy all the gadgets on that one.
I guess it depends on what you paided for your 8289WS. I don't call it over improving. What are you saying that your unit is junk?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #88

Quote:
gljurczyk,

RodeoGeorge
Yes it is a DIY. There is at least one other with the 8289 that had theres installed at the rally. I'm pretty sure that the work that was done out there on any unit was done by FR techs. I have had mine on a couple of months and love them. I could see how if you get crazy with them you could twist the frame.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #89
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Yes it is a DIY... I have had mine on a couple of months and love them...
Question, if it is a DIY, who did yours?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #90
Mod free 5er

And guess who ask for the drawings to put shocks on?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And guess who ask for the drawings to put shocks on?
You need to see a Doctor about your EGO problem, maybe they can help you out. I wanted the drawing to show my repair people who built custom only from the frame up to delv. To see if it would make a difference which I still stand behind. For some reason you think your the last word on everything. This is not true. Their are some pretty smart people out there besides on this forum. I try to get as much knowledge as I can before I do anything. Sorry if it upsets you....Have a nice reunion in Mo.....

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #92
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You need to see a Doctor about your EGO problem, maybe they can help you out. I wanted the drawing to show my repair people who built custom only from the frame up to delv. To see if it would make a difference which I still stand behind. For some reason you think your the last word on everything. This is not true. Their are some pretty smart people out there besides on this forum. I try to get as much knowledge as I can before I do anything. Sorry if it upsets you....Have a nice reunion in Mo.....
After all the guff you gave me about them, why would you even consider them if you haven't changed your mind?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #93
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[emoji624] [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #94

Quote:
After all the guff you gave me about them, why would you even consider them if you haven't changed your mind?
Thought I just told you, having a CRS problem again?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #95

Quote:
Check to see if the axles are held in place thru the side like FR products or thru the top of the support like they should be.

The boat trailer axel has a bracket that's welded on the sides and top. That bracket is then U- bolted to the frame. Funny how the axel isn't straight though. It has a saddle in it. I guess the torsion bar only extends about 18 inches into the axel tube. Tapping on the center, it sounds hollow.
I can see how the RV bracket was used for additional height. Mine is welded all the way around on the inboard side and on the top on the outboard side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409091890.594787.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	61514
... And here is the boat trailer:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409092016.489567.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1,006.9 KB
ID:	61515
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409092052.959833.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	815.8 KB
ID:	61516

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #96
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
The boat trailer axel has a bracket that's welded on the sides and top. That bracket is then U- bolted to the frame. Funny how the axel isn't straight though. It has a saddle in it. I guess the torsion bar only extends about 18 inches into the axel tube. Tapping on the center, it sounds hollow. I can see how the RV bracket was used for additional height. Mine is welded all the way around on the inboard side and on the top on the outboard side. Lou and Paula
From the picture, it looks like they are held with a side bolt in a slot also. Thought I saw a hole it the support in the top that wasn't used either, just like on the rv trailers.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #97

Quote:
From the picture, it looks like they are held with a side bolt in a slot also. Thought I saw a hole it the support in the top that wasn't used either, just like on the rv trailers.

Are you referring to the picture with my fingers in it? That pic is my RV. What is the concern about how the RV is attaching the axle? The twisting action that the torsion axle experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #98

Ok well looks like this post took a severe turn in a different direction.

Tags
weight