Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
LOL Mine is a groaner as well Brian - but oddly no Chucking
Must be the NC crafted wedge that works better! OC=Chuckfree

2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #62
Mod free 5er

I was told chucking was due to lack of pin wt AND/OR a loose pin/hitch connection.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I was told chucking was due to lack of pin wt AND/OR a loose pin/hitch connection.
Right and so if there is a wedge in and securing the Kingpin it can't be loose (lack of pin wt I agree with)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #64

The Reese head has some play front to back, much but some. The only time I have had chucking was road related and never on Asphalt only Concrete which we have very little in Canada at least where I travel. I69 was the worst road I have ever been on.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Right and so if there is a wedge in and securing the Kingpin it can't be loose (lack of pin wt I agree with)
The wedge is just an extension of the pin and has nothing to do with the up and down motion of the two in the hitch itself.

I attribute no chucking on mine to the shocks I installed on the trailer. I had chucking /dolphining and added the shocks and eliminated most of the chucking and dolphining except on exceptionally wavy roads.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #66

Thanks for the info OC - I was under the impression that the wedge "froze" the Kingpin so that it could not move (no Kingpin movement I thought = no chucking/dolphining)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Thanks for the info OC - I was under the impression that the wedge "froze" the Kingpin so that it could not move (no Kingpin movement I thought = no chucking/dolphining)
OC is correct on this one, but I don't by the shocks, you have a torsion axle. Just add some more pin weight to help you out. I have a little chucking on panic stops and takeoffs if to fast. You are just going to have some with out air trail or something which can not be installed with out major frame rewelding being they sit in a 10" box framed in. Shocks do not help panic stops or takeoff's at all.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
OC is correct on this one, but I don't by the shocks, you have a torsion axle. Just add some more pin weight to help you out. I have a little chucking on panic stops and takeoffs if to fast. You are just going to have some with out air trail or something which can not be installed with out major frame rewelding being they sit in a 10" box framed in. Shocks do not help panic stops or takeoff's at all.
Shocks should be on all suspension systems to dampen the up and down motion. Shocks have nothing whatsoever to do with panic stops or takeoff's. Torsion suspension has be around for years and has always had shocks until the rv industry started using them and for your information, there was no welding on the frame to install the shocks. Adding pin weight does nothing for the trailer bouncing on it' own suspension.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #69

Quote:
Shocks should be on all suspension systems to dampen the up and down motion. Shocks have nothing whatsoever to do with panic stops or takeoff's. Torsion suspension has be around for years and has always had shocks until the rv industry started using them and for your information, there was no welding on the frame to install the shocks. Adding pin weight does nothing for the trailer bouncing on it' own suspension.
Thanks for your opinion, but that's all it is....Funny I don't have that problem except taking off and hard stopping.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, but that's all it is....Funny I don't have that problem except taking off and hard stopping.
Not opinion, that is the cold hard facts regardless of whether you want to believe it or not. Adding pin weight is not an option in some cases.

While you are researching, find a torsion suspension on any vehicle except an rv trailer that does not also include shock absorbers. Heck even old Henry Ford had what they called "Hoot eye" shocks on his A & T model spring suspension cars. Ya need to come out of the horse and buggy days Glenn my friend.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Not opinion, that is the cold hard facts regardless of whether you want to believe it or not. Adding pin weight is not an option in some cases.

While you are researching, find a torsion suspension on any vehicle except an rv trailer that does not also include shock absorbers. Heck even old Henry Ford had what they called "Hoot eye" shocks on his A & T model spring suspension cars. Ya need to come out of the horse and buggy days Glenn my friend.
I just do not have the problem to each his own and sorry I didn't grow up with Henry Ford like you did. Shocks are used for damping not eliminating.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I just do not have the problem to each his own and sorry I didn't grow up with Henry Ford like you did.
You're funny like a sore tooth. I ain't quite that old, but have done research and have had experience with the old style Houdaille (Hoot Eye) shocks when racing the old flat head Fords in the 1960's. They were even adjustable too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Houdaille shock.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	61187   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	61188  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #73

Is this turning into an old Ford vs a old Chevy argument. lol. I grease my wedge and it wears the grease off moving up and down. The head head also gets greased, less noisy. I also have the clunks staring some times due too the excessive torque produced by the EcoBoost. The dealer told me not too grease but I did and it works much better and hitches up really easily.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #74

Quote:
You're funny like a sore tooth. I ain't quite that old, but have done research and have had experience with the old style Houdaille (Hoot Eye) shocks when racing the old flat head Fords in the 1960's. They were even adjustable too!
Is There anything you don't throw away?...

Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #75
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Is There anything you don't throw away?...
I don't have any, but sure worked on them in 1964/65.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #76

Quote:

My boat trailer is dual axle torsion bar with no shocks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
My boat trailer is dual axle torsion bar with no shocks as well.
Check to see if the axles are held in place thru the side like FR products or thru the top of the support like they should be.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #78

I guess If FR/Lippert thought I needed shocks they would have put them on. I understand what you do and like to do OC , but really they are not necessary. Your not hurting anything why try and build a Caddy out of a chevy? Just buy the Caddy. Maybe you can't load your pin due to your 1/2 ton I don't know if you like them more power to you. I would sell my unit if it was that big of a problem and get a unit with a air ride hitch. It's just not a problem for me and I have many miles towing under my belt 2 X's cross the USA and atleast 6 trips to Florida and 2 trips to IN. and all over alot closer states to home. Why make a mt. out of a mole hill?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #79
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I guess If FR/Lippert thought I needed shocks they would have put them on. I understand what you do and like to do OC , but really they are not necessary. Your not hurting anything why try and build a Caddy out of a chevy? Just buy the Caddy. Maybe you can't load your pin due to your 1/2 ton I don't know if you like them more power to you. I would sell my unit if it was that big of a problem and get a unit with a air ride hitch. It's just not a problem for me and I have many miles towing under my belt 2 X's cross the USA and atleast 6 trips to Florida and 2 trips to IN. and all over alot closer states to home. Why make a mt. out of a mole hill?
So, why did you add 4 pt levelers, GY Marathon tires, roll out shelf, and all the other mods? If FR/Lippert thought you needed them, they would have added them. Your reasoning is bogus, the mods are items that make something better or more convenient. Same as the shocks. Nobody says YOU have to have them, I chose to add them to eliminate a problem of dolphining which is inherent with all 5ers regardless of what you say.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #80

You are going to dolphin no matter what my truck has 4 shocks brand new the best that can be bought (recommended by turbo and my wife even said thanks to him) and my truck will still bounce towing or not. For 3 years I have left a coffee pot on my counter and also nothing falls out of my cupboards or refer when I stop and open them. To each his own the mods you helped me with where for convenience for me which I will always be grateful for but that has nothing to do with shocks to make the unit ride easier. We are not comparing apples to apples here. I added the 4 pt because I got tired of an uneven trailer and now it stops all arguments about the shower not draining or the doors won't stay open or I'm walking up hill, no more of that anymore. Only problem now is that I have to buy more crap to load in the front end to increase my pin weight. Now that's a great problem to have.....

Tags
weight