Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8289WS - Trojan SCS225 Batteries

I have two Trojan SCS225 Batteries inbound for the new RV.

I "thought" that it would be no problem purchasing Battery Boxes for these batteries, but found that's not the case. I've spent two days corresponding with the major Battery Box manufacturers, and the bottom line is that I cannot find Battery Boxes that will accommodate the SCS225 and still fit in the front of the 8289WS without having to turn the sideways, which eats up a lot of storage room.

The OEM Battery Box is not vented to the outside of the compartment, so I'm thinking of mounting them on a Tray, as opposed to putting them in a Box.

I'm also installing the Quick-Fill Battery Watering System, so the height of the Batteries + the Quick-Fill is also an issue.

Soliciting thoughts on using a battery Tray, and then finding/fabricating some sort of cover that sits down over the batteries (inverted storage box for example) with some vent holes at the top yet contain most gas vapors to the vicinity of the Batteries.

If anyone else has a solution, I'd appreciate hearing how you've solved the problem.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Hi RodeoGeorge, I do believe my batteries are vented to the outside. If yours are not I would deffinately vent them. There is a small round louvre on the side of the storage area on mine.

I set up a pair of 6 deep cycle in my dad's motor home. I vented them out the bottom, I am not sure how well that would work on your 5er because of the cover under the floor.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Jim,

I'm going from memory of looking at the Battery Box in the RV. I take delivery on Friday, and will know more then.

I do know that there is no vent tube on the top or sides of the Battery Box that I can see. It could possibly be vented through the bottom. I'll know more in a bit.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

RodeoGeorge, I checked mine out last night and it does have a vent tube that attaches to a louvre on the driver side under in front of the storage area next to the door. It is about 21/2 diameter and would be pretty easy to install.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
RodeoGeorge, I checked mine out last night and it does have a vent tube that attaches to a louvre on the driver side under in front of the storage area next to the door. It is about 21/2 diameter and would be pretty easy to install.
Thanks Jim.

I also received a reply from apollumi in the Costco Battery Thread with a source for Battery Boxes that will accommodate the SCS225 Battery. I have ordered two of those Battery Boxes.

I have plenty (about 10') of Central Vacuum Hose that I can use to plumb in vents from the Battery Boxes to the existing side vent. I'll just need a flange and a tee to do this, and I'll feel much better with them vented to the outside since there are spark sources in that compartment from the Landing Gear Motor and other things.

I will post pictures when I do the mod.

RodeoGeorge