Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8289WS Water Filter Relocation

I bypassed the OEM Water Filter that was located behind the wall of the basement storage area, and replaced it with a Dual Filter System mounted outside the RV.

There are more pictures relating to this Mod here.

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Water Filter Relocation

The procedure was pretty straight forward. I purchased a brass 90 degree 1/2" FPT X 1/2" Shark Bite fitting. The PEX on the input (right) side of the OEM Filter Head contained a 90 Degree 1/2" MPT fitting. The PEX on the output (left) side of the OEM Filter Head contained a straight 1/2" MPT. These fitting were crimped onto the PEX after they were screwed into the Filter Head, so there was no way to unscrew them from the Filter Head.

I cut the PEX on the input (right) side just below the 90 degree fitting leaving enough PEX to insert into the Shark Bite fitting. You can then unscrew the Filter Head from the remaining output fitting.

Apply teflon tape to the threads on the 1/2" MPT fitting that was on the Filter Head output, and screw the 90 degree brass fitting onto the MPT, finishing with the elbow pointing down.

Now insert the input PEX line into the Shark Bite side of the elbow, and you're done with the bypass.

Pressure test the system to ensure no leaks, and replace the wall.

I upgraded to a Dual Filter Assembly that I purchased from the RV Water Filter Store. Here's a link:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

I used a piece of aluminum angle to make a bracket that bolts to the frame of the RV, and then contains two bolts on the vertical side onto which the Water Filter Assembly can slide. Bolting the bracket to the frame recesses the Water Filter Assembly about 16" under the RV keeping it (for the most part) out of direct sunlight.

I attached the female end of a 4 foot length of hose to the output side (male) of the Filter Assembly, and installed a Quick Disconnect on the male end of the hose. I then installed a 90 Degree Hose Saver to the RV City Water Inlet, and the male portion of the Quick Disconnect to the female end of the 90 degree Hose Saver.

This completes the connection of the Water Filter Assembly to the RV.

On the input side (female) of the Water Filter Assembly I installed another male portion of a Quick Disconnect to which I can connect the supply hose from a hose bib.

By using Quick Disconnects, when I remove the Water Filter Assembly from the RV for travel, I can loop the hose from the output of the Filter Assembly back to the input and seal the system from leaks (see the storage picture in the Album Link.

I put two screws into the floor joist that is just inside the storage compartment, and can slide the Water Filter Assembly on to these screws for travel. It is also convenient in that Filter Assembly is directly above the plastic tray inside the door, and if there should be some leakage it would fall into this tray.

And now you have the rest of the story. Happy RVing.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, water, water filter