Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8289WS - What's behind Door #1

Took a quick look at our 8289W at the dealer today. Looks like it survived the trip through some rough weather in good shape.

With just a cursory look, we pointed out that the lower cabinets beneath the fridge and stove had gouges in the finish. Interesting in that even with the slide in, there does not appear to be anything in that area to cause the scratches.

Also found that it looks like one of the dump valve handle extensions was extended and then bent over. Should be an easy fix.

Now for the Thread Title question. There is a false door at the bottom of the cabinet below the Microwave. Two hinges on the left, and a single hinge and handle on the right, to make it match the other cabinet doors. What is behind that door? Converter????? Water Heater Bypass?????

Also pleased to find that they used LED bulbs throughout, and changed the shades/globes on the lights over the sink. Much nicer cloth shades than the plastic globes.

Surprised to see that both awnings are motorized. Now I'll have to buy a second wireless remote kit.

Another surprise was the LP Quick Disconnect on the outside of the Entertainment Slide for a BBQ. Surprised to see that so far from the other (Fridge, Stove) LP appliances.

Some sort of Wye connection for the Galley and Bathroom grey water drains will be a must. One that can be easily disconnected when dumping the Black Tank.

PDI Friday, so it will be a long day.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

The water heater is there! If you need access for winterizing, the water heater by-pass valves are in there. I don't get in there very often, as I winterize by blowing compressed air through the system. I drain the water heater from the outside first.

Also note that the storage cabinet just above there is NOT a good place to store your wine, as it can get very warm in there.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

I don't bother with a "Y" for the drain lines. It is easy enough to move the drain line from one to the other. Just dump the black water first, then the gray. Then move the drain line and do the other (kitchen) gray tank.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Thanks Tom.

I'm thinking more along the lines of when in a campground for like a week. I know the wife, and the galley tank will be dumped quite often. If I were to leave the hose on the Galley and let it drain, I'd be concerned about getting a foot bath in the shower. I'll ponder that for a while though.

Thanks for the tip on the wine, but no alcohol here in 33 years. LOL I found out that I was allergic to alcohol, as whenever I drank it I broke out in spots. Yes, spots like Chicago, New York, Dallas. Heck, I can remember going to happy hour at the Officer's Club on Okinawa back in 1981, and waking up in Osan Korea with no idea how I got there (FACT!).

I will however not store the Pepsi there.

A quick question. Do you just knock the Hinge Pin out of the single Hinge and open it, or remove the screws?

Well, back to getting the myriad of "stuff" out of the 5 year old toy hauler. Like Christmas, finding things I've forgotten that I had.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

RodeoGeorge,
You will need to unscrew the right side hinge.You should have gotten a tool for that with the 5th wheel. I did. It is the same tool you use to access the water filter.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

I see you are in Chino Valley. So happens I am in Mesa for a few days. Nice day today!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
RodeoGeorge,
You will need to unscrew the right side hinge.You should have gotten a tool for that with the 5th wheel. I did. It is the same tool you use to access the water filter.

Thanks Tom. We haven't taken delivery yet, they are doing the prep, and it will probably be Friday when we pick it up.

I would think that they used the #2 Robertson Screws (the square head) for the hinge, and I would not leave home in an RV without that style of bit.

From what you said, I surmise that the Water Filter is also behind some compartment panel. Possibly one in the understorage since that is in the vicinity of the City water inlet.

Those panels will be coming of shortly after delivery, as I'm hoping to be able to install a central vacuum system to the rear of the storage panels.

I've got a shop full of "stuff" to install. 2025RV Battery Monitor, PD9260 Converter, Progressive Industries 50A Wired Surge Protector, two Wireless Awning Remotes, TPMS, two Trojan 30XHS Batteries, etc. I've got to stop reading the posts that Herk and Turb submit. LOL

Then I'll be looking for a way to run wires from the roof to the battery compartment for a solar panel. That will be a challenge, as I normally come down through the Fridge Roof Vent, but with the Fridge being in the slide that's not possible. I have come down a holding tank vent and out the side in the under storage on some RVs. Just seal the point where the wires come out good with silicone, AND make sure that the point you enter the vent is above any place where water is flowing.

The wife has a question reagrding where to put cleaning supplies in the kitchen, but I'll post that in a new Thread.

We got very little snow from the last storm, and now are forecast to get up into the high 70s by Thursday with lows finally above freezing. Of course, it will then cool back off for a while before we get into the summer weather.

Thanks again for the info.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

I removed the 3rd hinge on the bottom door to access the water heater because my 8289ws was delivered to me with the water heater in bypass mode It's easier (no tools required, and you don't have to bend down so far) to pull the drawer (or both drawers) above the fixed cabinet door: just release the drawer slide locks on the guides and remove the drawer from the guides. Then you can reach right through the opening to open/close your bypass valves

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13, 2017: 6, 2018: 17

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Sr View Post
I removed the 3rd hinge on the bottom door to access the water heater because my 8289ws was delivered to me with the water heater in bypass mode It's easier (no tools required, and you don't have to bend down so far) to pull the drawer (or both drawers) above the fixed cabinet door: just release the drawer slide locks on the guides and remove the drawer from the guides. Then you can reach right through the opening to open/close your bypass valves

Duugh! That's way too easy, and no tools required. LOL

Great tip.

RodeoGeorge