Old 12-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

8310SS Rockwood tires.

Noticed on the FR website they spec out "C" rated tires (ST225/75R15C @ 50PSI) anyone know if they are available with "D" rated @ 65PSI??
I'm a little concerned about "C" rated tires at this trailer weight.

Many thanks,
Bill B.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Noticed on the FR website they spec out "C" rated tires (ST225/75R15C @ 50PSI) anyone know if they are available with "D" rated @ 65PSI??
I'm a little concerned about "C" rated tires at this trailer weight.

Many thanks,
Bill B.
I was considering ordering a Rockwood SUL last Spring and called the factory reps about the tire and axle ratings. I'm not big on having the tires in particular being maxxed out, especially ones of the quality they put on camper. To make a long story short, I think you'll have to foot the bill to upgrade to D rated after you get the camper.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #3

Just put a set of Carlisle E's on my 2014 Windjammer TT.

2014 3025 Windjammer/260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
ARLO

I would recommend upgrading to E rated tires.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
Just put a set of Carlisle E's on my 2014 Windjammer TT.
Did you put them on the same rims that the C tires were on and what pressures do you have those tires at? Also do you find the E tires have less sway than the C tires?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Bill, I had the same concern with my 2014 Flagstaff trailer. We are about the same weight and the exact same tires. I called the Forest River tire supplier, Lionshead tire and wheel (574-533-6169). I asked about upgrading to D or E load range tires. They said that 65psi D’s would be fine, but the wheels were not rated for the 80psi E range.

Everything that I have read says that installing E range tires and under inflating them to 65psi will cause more problems than it would solve. Trailer tires are designed to be run at max inflation or you will get heat build up.

As soon as I took delivery of the trailer I replaced all 5 tires with D range Maxxis. I easily sold the original tires on Craig’s List. We took several trips this year, including a three week trip from Connecticut to South Dakota and back, and the tires performed flawlessly. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by llberge View Post
Bill, I had the same concern with my 2014 Flagstaff trailer. We are about the same weight and the exact same tires. I called the Forest River tire supplier, Lionshead tire and wheel (574-533-6169). I asked about upgrading to D or E load range tires. They said that 65psi D’s would be fine, but the wheels were not rated for the 80psi E range.Everything that I have read says that installing E range tires and under inflating them to 65psi will cause more problems than it would solve. Trailer tires are designed to be run at max inflation or you will get heat build up.As soon as I took delivery of the trailer I replaced all 5 tires with D range Maxxis. I easily sold the original tires on Craig’s List. We took several trips this year, including a three week trip from Connecticut to South Dakota and back, and the tires performed flawlessly. Good luck with whatever you decide.
==========================

The last two trailers I had had D rated tires and they never over heated. Always kept them at 65 PSI. At rest stops I would check for over heating and they ran cool. (Marathons etc..)
In your message they hid a Hyperlink and I checked it out. It's from Ebay on trailer tires. I'm posting it here in case anyone is interested:
trailer tires | eBay

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably try and get the dealer to make a swap or like you say just go out and buy a set.
Happy trails,
Old 12-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

Got rid of the Trail Express tires and had Maxxis 8008 E rated installed with steel valve stems and never looked back.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by llberge View Post

....Everything that I have read says that installing E range tires and under inflating them to 65psi will cause more problems than it would solve. Trailer tires are designed to be run at max inflation or you will get heat build up.

Not sure I agree with this statement. It would be helpful if you could direct me to where this info came from.

In reality (check the load range charts) an ST "E" rated tire inflated to 65 psi is a "D" rated tire and it can carry the corresponding load. The "D" range tire is more than adequate to carry the load for current Rockwood/Flagstaff ultralight RV's. Don't forget to subtract the pin weight when you are calculating axle or tire load. Excessive heat in a tire is caused by overloading or underflating and not by airing up to the appropriate load that the tire is actually carrying.

When I had the factory "C" rated tires on I carried the max allowed which was 50 psi. Now that I have ST Maxxis 8008 load range "D" on I carry the max permissible both specified by the tire and the wheel supplier which is 65 psi. I contacted Maxxis prior to buying the "D" rated tires. They said there was no benefit in going to the "E" rated tires as I was limited by the wheel to 65 psi and my actual load on the axle and tires was below the "D" load range anyway.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

Ron, I also really wanted to put load range E on my trailer for the additional strength of the tire. Here is just one of the places that talked me out of it. I read similar things on various other sites.

Thanks for your input.

Can a Load Range E Trailer Tire be Used in Place of a Load Range D Trailer Tire | etrailer.com

Tags
rockwood, tire, tires