Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

8312 Power Stabs & Torsion Axles bunk sofa

I hope dieselbobcat is listening:
We are ordering the 8312SS very soon.
Are the power stabilizers worth the $325? I use a drill to run mine down quickly now, so if they stabilize the camper better, I'll consider.
Are these torsion axles a plus? If they are great why is Rockwood the only ones using them?
For a TV, I personally would not tow this unit with a 1500 of any brand...
I have towed a Jayco 31BHDS (9000gvwr) for years with a RAM 2500 Hemi. The 8312SS looks to comparable in weight. The Hemi will pull, they like 4000 RPM. You have to listen to it and you will get 8 mpg. Much cheaper than the Cummins..................Ford 1500 will be rough.
bobcat::::The bunk couch option is an air matress hide a bed thing, that I'm afraid will encroach too much into the bunk house "area"............we'll be ordering the sofas however the jacknife would have been our choice.
I hope someone chimes in on the power stabs for bobcat and I!
Thanks for your input!
learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Just a member

The power stabs do work but I can run them down/up faster with the hand crank - they are agonizingly slow running off the electric motors. Speaking of which, we're waiting for a replacement motor for our rear stabilizer after little more than 20 odd down/up excursions. It got slower and slower and finally just quit. Problems with the motors is apparently (anecdotal) an issue with these units.

I'm pondering removal of the motors so as to run the stabs down/up by hand without the resistance caused by the motor. The electric option has some merit but that assumes they always work in that proverbial perfect world.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by learn View Post
Are these torsion axles a plus? If they are great why is Rockwood the only ones using them?
Rockwood is not the only company that uses them. Surveyor, Airstream and a few others also use this type of axle that usually means a lower ride height and a more controlled ride due to the lack of leaf springs that have no shocks! Why do car and horse trailers use them? Better ride... (IMHO)

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Thanks kandl, we ordered the 8312 with Diamond Package. I excluded the power stabs, but they got thrown in the final deal. For free, I guess I'll take them (but I really did not want them).......................

TT: 2006 JAYCO 31BHDS
TV: 2007 RAM 2500 (HEMI)
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle