Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

8314BSS weight

OK folks,

After pulling it around Texas and Oklahoma for 6 months I finally got it on the scales.

Factory listed weight is:

Tongue weight 941
Trailer weight 6807

I weighed with near full propane and no water in tanks. (I do not haul water around except for a little black water on long trips) and with pickup near full of fuel.
I knew that the tongue weight was going to weigh heavy and it did but the trailer weighed less than I thought it would.......

Per scales:

Tongue weight 1260
Trailer weight 7400
Pickup with luggage and us 2 adults is 5850
Total rig weight is 13,250

Although in my opinion it has pulled great with my Toyota Tundra on the Texas and Oklahoma trips we have taken it on Dino commented on the squat of my pickup (turns out it was 2.5 inches squat on rear and .5 inch rise on front) when loaded so I have tweaked the hitch setup a bit to see if I can level it out a bit. I did not want to do anything major and also anything that I could not easily change back since we are leaving on a 2 week trip Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Ski

8314BSS tongue wt

Is that tongue weight with or without the bars attached? My 8314 is 1,400 without the bars distributing the weight to the front. The trailer is 6,880. With all the storage in the front, this trailer can get nose heavy if you don't check it.

You need to weigh three times to get the correct idea of what you have.

bars attached
bars loose
just the truck

Then you can find out what the real tongue wt is and how your bars are working.

Ski
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

8314BSS weight

Just ordered a tongue scale to put this to rest.

Tired of wondering what effect loading has on tongue weight. I started hauling luggage in back to minimize tongue weight.

On top of everything else I found out that trailer dealer sold me a Equal-I-zer brand hitch with a 1000 pound tongue weight max. I pulled it off the lot with 1260 tongue weight. The sales manager said they go by mfg specs. Duh???? Do they think people are going to pull it empty? Battery and full propane has to add at least a couple hundred pounds.

In a call with the Equal-I-zer folks they said the only difference in 1000 pound and 1200 pound hitch is the diameter of the bars. Dealer said they would order me new bars which would increase capacity to 1200.

Learning a lot about hitches and weights.......

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight