Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #1

8315bss entertainment center

We are wanting to purchase the 2010 Rockwood 8315BSS but are trying to figure out where the DirectTV control box and ditigal control box will go. There are no shelves to put these on. They have to be visible in order to change the channel with the remote control. I have spoken with 3 different dealers and none of them have an answer. They all said "no one has ever asked that question before." One dealer suggested cutting a hole under the TV and pulling out the panel in the closet area (which is behind the entertainment center) and putting a shelf in there. Another dealer suggested mounting a shelf on the outside but that would stick out into the room. Another suggested putting it in the closet and just get up every time you want to change the channel. I hate to spend all that money on a brand new travel trailer and have to start by remodeling it to watch TV.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
leecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

Hey there,

We also ran into this problem on our Rockwood.
Right now we currently have our digital converter box on top of our bedroom tv with velcro.
Still looking for the solution for the entertainment center in the living area.
Just need to keep brainstorming for the solution.
Later!
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

You can do it without a big hassle...a hassle ...but not a big one. It would sit in the top cabinet area there but you would need to drill a few holes for the cables and power connection. You would also need to put a mirror or reflective material on the inside upper cabinet door for the remote signal to bounce off of and leave the door open a bit while using it. We took the small tv out and put a 32 inch tv which is connected to our desktop computer which is sitting on the floor in the closet. We use a wireless mouse and keyboard and the computer connects up to the surround sound...we watch movies from our hard drives. Picked up our 8315bss about 2 months ago and aside from glitches we are happy with it.

We found that it was difficult to find a trailer with an entertainment system setup that was exactly to our liking...had to adapt it to what we wanted.

Mark
MWJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

We have a 8315ss and I drilled a hole in the closet for the cables and the power cord . Then I ordered the optional remote from DirecTV. It comes with an antenna for on the unit. Problem solved. Everything works.
bdati2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

Newbie (to the forum as well as RVing), be gentle. Have noted the same issue in Rockwood and Surveyor trailers we're looking to purchase. I'm wondering if one could cantilever a shelf under the TV using the same hardware Rockwood/Surveyor use to mount the countertop extensions. Could be easily undone when trailer's in motion.

bdati2d, could you point me to the optional remote url on the DirecTV web site? What are you using for an antenna set up?

This whole issue of where to conveniently place the receiver has been a stumbling block for us in selecting a trailer but it looks to be not insurmountable. Another question I have is how to distribute an HD signal within the trailer. One can get an HDMI splitter (FireFold 1 to 2 or 1 to 4) and then cable it up with some of their HDMI connectors and cables. Anyone have experience with this?

Looking forward to getting on the road.
GreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #6

The site for DirecTV remotes is http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...oternavtype=-1 . We had to get a cable connection in the bed room for the second satellite box. My dish has two cables - one to the connector for livingroom (OE) and the new for the bedroom. You need two boxes but each tv can watch different stations with one dish.
bdati2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
remote control

Your Directv guy should be able to give you a RF remote that does not have to have line of sight. I have my directv reciever in my living room and have it set up so I can use the remote in my bedroom. I have the 8314SS model and the reciever is under my tv in the cabinet all closed up.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8315bss, rockwood