Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

8325SS Owner Experiences

First post on this forum, and posting as a new owner of a 2014 Rockwood 8325SS.

My wife and I are very pleased with this trailer...big bedroom slide out, opposing living area slides, electric radiant heat fireplace, hideaway TV, queen size foldout guest bed, and so on. This is the Platinum package, and has a 2nd AC unit in the bedroom (we love to keep our house bedroom at arctic levels, so this was a nice bonus for us).

Key features that we cared about were all met in this model:
  • We wanted to avoid the "hallway living" models...just not our style.
  • Large living area. The idea here is that if it's raining or something we might stay inside. Also, we like to watch a bit of TV at night, or a movie...and the ability to move the La-Z-Boy recliners in front of the fireplace/TV was a nice touch.
  • Rear view. This was key...and tied to the large living area. We wanted to be able to back into an area and look out all three sides...left, right and back. We avoided any units with rear sleeping, rear kitchen or rear bath. The hideaway TV is a cool feature in this regard.
  • Large bedroom area...we have some small yippy dogs with teacup bladders, so the ability to exit bed from each side without disturbing partner was key.
  • "Real" queen size bed (the "RV queens" are too small). We added a memory foam topper (for the dogs).

Essentially, the 8325SS was one of only a few that made the short list (and subsequently the final cut). The only real fault I can find is the lack of external storage (I think it must be a law that every product made has to have one thing that sucks).

We are towing this with a 2008 Infiniti QX56, which it turns out is a towing monster. I think all the 2008 QX56's came with a factory-installed towing package (with all the cooling gizmos and such). As an engineer I studied a lot about the physics of towing, but I was still amazed how this large trailer tows with the 2008 QX56. The vehicle barely notices the trailer when on level ground, and it hauls it up hills with little effort. Fuel economy dives of course (I thought the fuel economy computer might switch from miles-per-gallon to gallons-per-mile...seems to get about 9-10 mpg when towing).

I installed an Equalizer hitch (highly recommend this hitch). I talked to the manufacturer of the hitch for several hours (they never once said they had to go...seemed to enjoy talking to the customer) before I purchased the trailer so I could understand all the physics involved...elegantly simple design. Unlike some alternative weight distribution sway control hitches, the Equalizer allows me to do a full 90 degree turn (forwards or backwards) if necessary without having to unhook parts of the hitch. While my wife loves the trailer, this hitch is the most fascinating aspect of the whole thing to me.

My brake controller is a self-installed Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. There was a wiring harness for Nissan that just plugged right in to the exiting Nissan towing connector under the dashboard (took less time to remove a panel, plug in, and replace panel that it did to position and install the P3). I have it set to 7.2 and use B2/B3 braking...I can easily slow the QX56 with just trailer brakes if I wanted (but would not do that in actual practice obviously). I purchased it from my local Camping World since they match Internet prices (which was a nice surprise...Amazon prices with no waiting).

Interested in experiences, tips and tricks from those that own (or have owned) an 8325SS (or very similar Rockwood), such as hitch weights, weight balancing, storage, water/waste management, winterization, stabilization, etc. And of course any potential 8325SS tire-kickers...happy to answer what questions I can. And (another "and") QX56 owners.

Heck, I guess anyone can comment if they have something valuable to contribute.

Thanks in advance!!!
Hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. I used to tow with an 04 armada LE (towing package, prodigy p3 brake controller) which I believe is the Nissan version of the qx56. If yours has the load leveling suspension like mine did, it is very important to weigh your setup. Weigh truck without tt (front axle on scale pad one, rear axle on scale pad two) and then hooked to tt (truck as before, tt on 3rd scale pad). What we learned after messing with our setup for a couple of months,was the load leveling suspension messed with our measurements so this was the only way to get a good set up (we had Therese dual cam).

We towed a 30 ft, 7000 lb tt with close to 1000 lb tongue weight. We were 200 lbs over on payload. Until we got the hitch dialed in, towing on the flat was a nightmare. It never did get past a white knuckle experience. We had our final straw towing in the blue ridge mountains. We struggled up 7% grades. We literally got pushed down the mountain. This was despite every truck I had learned in 20 yrs of towing horse trailers. There simply wasnt enough truck /engine to hold the tt back. I was done and traded for my first diesel (09 f250) one year into tt ownership. Night and day difference with the diesel. I know many who have sworn by their armada's and infinity's that towed every bit as much tt as mine if not more. I don't know if it is because I had a first generation armada or what the problem was. I do know it towed my horse trailer (5000 lbs) like it wasn't even there. It had no issue pulling a car or a large boat. It just didn't pair well with my tt. I still sometimes miss the luxuries it afforded me, but I love my diesel even more. I
Am glad it sounds like yours is giving you a better towing experience.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #3

asquared, thanks for the reply.

The 2008 QX56 has a bit more horsepower and torque than the 2004 Armada (not much, but a bit).

With the Equalizer I did not notice much sway, and seemed to be "in control" on the freeway. At one point, when towing it home from the dealer (about a 70 mile trip) I found myself going 75mph(yikes!!!) on the freeway as I did not even remember I was towing (until my buddy who went with me told me to stop passing people).

I have the P3 set pretty tight such that the trailer wheels will barely turn when I hit the P3 brake lever (and no QX56 brakes applied) at 25mph. If I set the P3 up another 1/10th of a volt the wheels start to lock on gravel. With the braking set to B3 I can definitely feel the trailer braking when I tap the breaks; at B2 it seems "balanced" between the QX56 and the trailer. I "orbit" between B2 and B3.

For the next couple of years we plan to stay in Texas and the surrounding states on long weekend camping trips (so, mostly flat or low grades) while we spin up on trailer camping; if we can't drive there in a day we won't go. When the time comes for "The Big Trip to The Rockies" I'll have another tow vehicle. I have not [yet] tried a decent downhill run...there are not many places I can do this nearby. I have tried shorter downhill slopes without concern. Uphill seems to be no issue, but we don't have a lot of 7% grades.

I have a Sherline Trailer Tongue Scale that I use to make sure I keep the hitch weight a tad below 900. I am planning to take the whole setup to a local CAT scale and do exactly what you said...measure the setup with trailer on pad 3, rear of TV on pad 2, and front of TV on pad 1. I would then drop the trailer and measure just front (pad 1) and back (pad 2) of the TV. From there I can get my gross weight, tongue weight (really confirming my Sherline weight) and the front/back TV axel loading (to make sure the Equalizer is adjusted correctly).

Preemptive note to the Weight Police: I am fully aware that I am near the limits of my TV tow capacity and gross weight, but I am not one of those guys that will push beyond the limits. I am am an engineer, and a limit is a limit, but under the limit is still under the limit.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgert View Post
Preemptive note to the Weight Police: I am fully aware that I am near the limits of my TV tow capacity and gross weight, but I am not one of those guys that will push beyond the limits. I am am an engineer, and a limit is a limit, but under the limit is still under the limit.

Now you did it - nothing like a shot across the bow to reel in those dissenting opinions. Speaking of which, the very nature of your thread invites opinion and that's not a bad thing. There's a hockey sock full of RV experience on this forum and plenty of folk willing to offer up good advice. If you're comfortable with your TV/TT arrangement and certain that you're not presenting a hazard to the rest of the motoring public, then go have fun.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

kandl, thanks for the post. I am a huge poster on other forums unrelated to RVs, so I'm aware that my thread may invite opinions. The intent of the thread was to get real-world experience from other 8325SS owners; my mistake was to put in the Weight Police notice.

I'll try to put the genie back into the bottle by explaining our rationale, and then move off the weight discussion.

Our plan is to have a trailer that meets our longer term needs/desires (this is that trailer) AND a higher-capacity tow vehicle. Unfortunately finances at this time dictated that we could either get the vehicle now and no trailer, or get the trailer now and tow with the QX56. So, the latter was the only option that gets us into a trailer now, and we know that limits us on "what and where" (which is fine...we want to camp close-in to home base for the next year or two anyway for other reasons...so mostly weekend or long-weekend trips for the next 18-24 months within a days drive or less).

While we are *near* the limits, we are not *above* the limits. Being *near* the limits does remove the ability to do certain things (towing over the Rockies, etc.). To use an aviation analogy, just because I *can* load a 747 with X tons of max weight does not mean it will fly the same as when loaded with 75% of max...but it will fly (and be within specs). So, we just have to "fly" our tow/trailer combination more cautiously, and into fewer places, than if we had a larger tow vehicle (or a smaller trailer).

With regard to safety, I have a sense of proper caution combined with a reticence to push the limits (I'm actually a very safe person). I do feel there is no danger that will be presented to the motoring public (at least not any more than than would be presented by any other trailer being towed).

Anyway, back to 8325SS experiences (please).
Old 10-31-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgert View Post
While we are *near* the limits, we are not *above* the limits. Being *near* the limits does remove the ability to do certain things (towing over the Rockies, etc.). To use an aviation analogy, just because I *can* load a 747 with X tons of max weight does not mean it will fly the same as when loaded with 75% of max...but it will fly (and be within specs). So, we just have to "fly" our tow/trailer combination more cautiously, and into fewer places, than if we had a larger tow vehicle (or a smaller trailer).
You may be short-changing the Infiniti's capability but I'll caveat that. I'm up against the limits of our TV (upper, right corner of the flight envelope - love aviation analogies ) and go back and forth across the Rockies on a regular basis. And do so quite comfortably. Our TVs have comparable capacities (Infiniti GVWR is a few hundred lbs more than the Dodge) and our Rockwoods are in the same ball park. I'm 32 ft and very near 800 lbs on the ball. And that's the bottom end of the recommended ideal hitch loading of 11-15 percent of trailer loaded weight. The similarities grow apart, however, when we compare the respective TV's wheelbase. The Infiniti has a relatively short wheelbase for a TT that is 34+ ft. Not a big deal if everything goes according to Hoyle, but if you're in a situation, going downhill, where you need to get on the brakes real hard, a few or four ft of extra wheelbase could mean the difference between recovery and the unthinkable. Low and slow is good - just watch the stall speed!

All the best,

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
You may be short-changing the Infiniti's capability but I'll caveat that. I'm up against the limits of our TV (upper, right corner of the flight envelope - love aviation analogies ) and go back and forth across the Rockies on a regular basis. And do so quite comfortably. Our TVs have comparable capacities (Infiniti GVWR is a few hundred lbs more than the Dodge) and our Rockwoods are in the same ball park. I'm 32 ft and very near 800 lbs on the ball. And that's the bottom end of the recommended ideal hitch loading of 11-15 percent of trailer loaded weight. The similarities grow apart, however, when we compare the respective TV's wheelbase. The Infiniti has a relatively short wheelbase for a TT that is 34+ ft. Not a big deal if everything goes according to Hoyle, but if you're in a situation, going downhill, where you need to get on the brakes real hard, a few or four ft of extra wheelbase could mean the difference between recovery and the unthinkable. Low and slow is good - just watch the stall speed!

All the best,
I have no intentions of hauling this thing over the Rockies with this TV, but that does not mean I might not get in a similar emergency braking situation on level ground. In that case even if were further from the limits I'd have the same issue with this weight/length of trailer...an "oh crap" moment would be the same either way.

Perhaps I should set my P3 braking more aggressively...so that if I did stomp on the brakes (to the floor) the trailer brakes will be doing 100% of the braking of the trailer? Right now it's set (to 7.2V) such that if I hit the manual brake (on the P3) at 25 mph the trailer wheels would *almost* lock up...I'm probably 2 clicks away from a total lockup. Maybe one more click to 7.3V?

I've come to find the 2008 QX56 is a haulin' machine hidden under the covers of a luxury SUV. Only shortcoming (for towing) seems to be a shorter wheel base.