Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Christ follower

8329SS first weekend, 1st disappointments

We took delivery of our 2016 3229SS on 2/8/16 and just spent the weekend at Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach SC.

The disappointment started when we hit the switch to open the #2 slide out (entertainment/dining table) slide. Almost immediately after hitting the switch I heard a loud crack. Immediately stopped to find out what happened. We found that when the Camping World did our walk through at delivery, they didn't strap down the rocking chairs while they closed up the unit. The rocking chair on the side of the slide had turned and there you have it, CRACK. The trim along the seal and the wall cracked. I'm going to go by there tomorrow and see if this is something they are going to take care of without getting attorneys involved.

The 2nd disappointment was when we opened the cabinet under the bathroom sink to check for frozen lines after it got down to 18 degrees. The first thing I noticed was that the water filter housing did not have a filter in it. A quick trip to the Camping World 5 miles away was sure to solve this....so I thought. Camping World did not carry the filter (Model FR1 Filter # KW1). So I went to eBay to find that the cheapest KW1 I could find was $32.99. Thats complete BS. Now I have to change out the filter assembly to one that carries a universal filter.

Other than that, the wife, dog and I had a great weekend just getting away.
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Ephesians 4:13
7.3Excursion4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

We found the water filter on our 8329ss was also not installed. It was in one of the kitchen drawers. We will use it until it needs changed, then get a new filter housing that uses a more economical cartridge. We also bent the kitchen slide trim with the recliners. Now watch closely when we open the opposing slides.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

I prefer to filter BEFORE it hits the hose. I buy a couple (should only need one per year but we go often) of the blue filters at CW when they go on sale every fall. I also find changing easier and prefer not to change inside.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

First thing congrats on your new RV....... and welcome.....

Second as a frequent Ocean Lakes vistor do not drink the campground water it won't hurt you but it can have a salty taste. Ocean lakes gives you as much purified water as you want you bring your own containers. One station outside the Post Office the other is south side near one of the lakes.

Headed to Ocean Lakes in April.

Good Luck !!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Christ follower

Thanks. This was our first trip there but we plan on going back the first or second weekend in March and probably once in April before their rates go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Second as a frequent Ocean Lakes vistor do not drink the campground water it won't hurt you but it can have a salty taste. Ocean lakes gives you as much purified water as you want you bring your own containers. One station outside the Post Office the other is south side near one of the lakes.

Good Luck !!!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #6

Save yourself many headaches down the road and eliminate that water filter now. Buy a filter that attaches outside for 1/4 of the price.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Lesson learned. ALWAYS check slides for obstructions before deploying, in or out.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Always keep an eye on the recliners when moving slide in or out. If they are out away from the wall just a little they will get hung up. Look around for the filter ours was in a cabinet. Keep an eye on the bedroom slide as well blankets tend to snag on the wardrobe. We just fold ours back before closing.

Enjoy your rolling home!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
Christ follower

Yep. Biggest lesson learned was not trusting people to do their job correctly
Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

We love Ocean Lakes. We were there for two weeks over New Year's, and are going back with our granddaughter for Spring Break, the end of March for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #11

I have the flagstaff version of this unit and I did the same thing with the recliners not from the factory but after opening and closing it several times. Both trim pieces on each side have pulled away. I now have put that on a list to check before I close the unit. It took just a couple of finishing nails to fix it. The filter was removed as well on my unit due to the winterization process. I de-winterized and inserted the unit and all was well. We had our unit for ten days before taking it out for a month. We are starting our third week and could not be happier with the camper. It has worked perfect. It did get down below 20 degrees while traveling so I opened up the bottom cabinet under the sink that they do not allow to open and put a shelf in there and now store toilet paper in it. With that door open the vent in front of it keeps the pipes from freezing. We absolutely love the unit so far.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My filter element wasn't installed either and my dealer said they typically don't unless the customer specifically asks that it be. My dealer said they will 'walk the customer through the installation' so they know how to do it when it comes time. With that said, they did ask (and pointed out it had no element) but we chose not to as we were going to winterize soon and I already had plans to remove the filter and use something else.

The recliners and the slides were mentioned many times during our PDI and we watch those like a hawk during set-up and tear-down.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Good Luck !!!!!

thanks for the heads up. we are heading there in March and will be sure to also bring some of our water jugs.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #14

I had the same thing happen with the slide. My fault for not securing them properly. I also removed the onboard water filter for one on the outside. Read too many tales here on this forum about leaking onboard water filters.
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Canadian Member

First of all, congrats on the new Rockwood!

The water filter is typically not installed by the dealer unless you force them to during the PDI. You would typically install it for the first use of the TT. If it's installed during the PDI, you'd have to remove it and let it dry out rather than having it sit in stagnant water.

I've said this a 100 times on this forum. Folks always tell you to remove the factory filter and you can certainly do that and just use the cheap blue bullet type, but you'll get nothing more than a sediment filter with that. Check out this website for info on what's available on the market and you can decide if you want just a sediment filter or something more. If you haul your own water you could go without a filter at all but if you're going to use the water at the campground, are you going to trust the water everywhere you go? The blue bullet will do nothing about contaminants or smell or taste. If you just want something less expensive, then decent water filters from the big box stores may fit the canister and provide better filtering than the blue bullets. The old adage that you get what you pay for is applicable here.

Lastly, don't get stressed out about your first experience and absolutely DO NOT go back to the dealer and immediately threaten legal action. Hopefully you're just expressing your frustration and you won't actually go in there like a bull. That's sure fire way of getting minimal, if any, cooperation from the dealer. It's hard enough to find a good dealer. Don't offend them right off the bat! Save that option for an absolute last resort.

Hopefully everything will get worked out to your satisfaction. Be patient. You're not alone in telling this kind of story on a brand new unit. Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

Ask for the general manager and explain what happened. CW in Myrtle has been great to me.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
First of all, congrats on the new Rockwood!

The water filter is typically not installed by the dealer unless you force them to during the PDI. You would typically install it for the first use of the TT. If it's installed during the PDI, you'd have to remove it and let it dry out rather than having it sit in stagnant water.

I've said this a 100 times on this forum. Folks always tell you to remove the factory filter and you can certainly do that and just use the cheap blue bullet type, but you'll get nothing more than a sediment filter with that. Check out this website for info on what's available on the market and you can decide if you want just a sediment filter or something more. If you haul your own water you could go without a filter at all but if you're going to use the water at the campground, are you going to trust the water everywhere you go? The blue bullet will do nothing about contaminants or smell or taste. If you just want something less expensive, then decent water filters from the big box stores may fit the canister and provide better filtering than the blue bullets. The old adage that you get what you pay for is applicable here.

!
For drinking and cooking we use bottled water. The inline goes at the spigot to keep any junk out of even the hose. We often bring water from home in the FW tanks as well. Once that filter goes inside it becomes a mess,,, hope it would never happen when owners are away for a while.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #18

We have broken smash and distorted several things when opening or.closing the slides. Now we checked h time.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #19

We also removed the water filter and put a line where the filter had been so we don't have to add that much additional antifreeze. Taking the filter off was almost impossible in our unit. Had to remove the speaker, lay on my stomach, reach full arm length in and unscrew it without seeing it! We now use a good filter outside at the spigot.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I believe the reasons so many people (including myself) recommend removing the factory water filter are one, it is usually so inconveniently located that it is an absolute PITA to get to and two, there have been a plethora of reports of failure.

Yes, if you remove the factory filter and just use a blue inline throw-away you won't get the filtration quality of the factory filter but there are dozens of comparable to factory, cartridge type filters one can purchase that will work just as well (and in some cases better) as the factory filter.

With the added benefit of being able to mount a stand alone filter at (or near) the water pedestal where failures won't flood the RV, aids in keeping the hose and water regulator clean, being able to use it to fill the fresh water tank, uses less antifreeze when winterizing and not having to be locked into propitiatory replacement elements are enough reasons for me to remove mine at day one of ownership.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote