Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

?? about charging

I do not have a generator yet. If I go to a campground, go back and fetch my bass boat, I will need a way to charge my boat batteries. I am thinking I can run a drop cord from my outside electrical outlet on the side of the camper if the power box where I hook my 30 amp up does not have the electrical plug. Am I on point or nuts?
RetArmyxtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetArmyxtrucker View Post
I do not have a generator yet. If I go to a campground, go back and fetch my bass boat, I will need a way to charge my boat batteries. I am thinking I can run a drop cord from my outside electrical outlet on the side of the camper if the power box where I hook my 30 amp up does not have the electrical plug. Am I on point or nuts?
If your trailer is not hooked up to any shore power or generator, there will be no way to charge your bass boat batteries.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks. I meant while I am hooked up to the 30 amp pole at the camp site.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetArmyxtrucker View Post
Thanks. I meant while I am hooked up to the 30 amp pole at the camp site.
Yes, you can plug in a battery charger to a 120V outlet on your trailer then. If you have shore power, you can also plug in a charger into the 15A outlet that is usually on that same pole.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

thanks.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Only downside to plugging into an outlet on your trailer is that the charger will use a portion of the power available to your trailer. You can only use 3600 watts in total. If you run the microwave, are charging house batteries off the converter, and maybe running an electric heater or two, you've maxed out the capacity of the 30 amp outlet on the campground shore power source.

This is of course an extreme scenario but something to be aware of. Some people using a 30 amp campground power source often have to run a second power cord to the post, plugged into the 15 amp outlet, just to run an extra heater, insta-pot, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

yup the wife just bought an Insta pot too. LOL. Time to pack a drop cord for next trip. Need one anyhow.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Be aware that many campgrounds with 30A pedestals have an additional 30A breaker up stream (usually in a locked area that protects the wiring to the pedestal. If you draw more than 30A total from the pedestal you will trip the upstream breaker and have to wait for campground staff to reset it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

We have done both. We carry a long extension cord in the boat and have plugged into the pedestal then just leave the cord rolled up when out in the boat. Have plugged into the outside rv outlet a few times and have never had an issue. Our boat charger is a two bank charging both our trolling motor and starting battery.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging