Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #11

If the second unit was a 13.5k or even a 11k all by itself, with nothing else on the circuit, couldnt it plug into the standard 20amp outlet that is in most campground posts? Say you ran a 12 gauge wire from the a/c unit to the wall of the camper, used a pass through plug to go through the wall, then used a SHORT 10 or 12 gauge ext. cord to reach the campground post. My 13.5k unit runs on about 1350 watts in 90 degree heat, less when it's cooler. 20 amps from the plug on the post should do that easily. I am going to run an extra outlet inside the unit to a pass through the wall plug so that we can run an extra 1500 watt portable heater in the cooler months without using up all the 30 amp service. The same thing could be done here off a small breaker box. A/C for the summer an extra outlet (or2) for the winter. Jay

Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I am going to run an extra outlet inside the unit to a pass through the wall plug so that we can run an extra 1500 watt portable heater in the cooler months ...

Jay
Lots of folks just run a heavy extension cord through one of the slide out seals. That's what we do, makes the location of the heater (or whatever else) more flexible.

As for removing round ceiling vents, on my 5ver a few ordinary screws and they come right down, no big deal.

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #13

If there is a closet or cabinet adjacent to the bedroom 14" vent, then you can easily fish a wire into that closet and then either outside with a flush 20 amp plug or on through the floor? This will hide the wire and allow you to have a full 20 amp power from the pedestal in addition to your 30 amp.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #14

We went through the floor added a breaker box and another plug like the main plug on the outside wall. The second AC plus three 110V outlets inside. One of the outlets is for the second refrigerator. We now run two 30A cords to the campground pedestal. One to the 30A outlet one tho the 50A outlet. Our camper is a 30A camper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #15

Radio, I actually never thought of running a cord through the slide out seal! I allready have the parts, so I will probably go ahead with my plan to use a pass-through plug and outlet. There is always good info here and nice people. Yesterday while fixing a very bad water leak in the pass through, I looked closer at the a/c vents in the ceiling of my camper. It looks to me like someone sprayed foam filling up or at least blocking off the ends after the last ducts. There are no visable screws to remove on my a/c vents. Because my "box" is only about 22' long there are only 3 vents on each side of the a/c. Maybe I am just lucky. Jay
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #16
fmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We went through the floor added a breaker box and another plug like the main plug on the outside wall. The second AC plus three 110V outlets inside. One of the outlets is for the second refrigerator. We now run two 30A cords to the campground pedestal. One to the 30A outlet one tho the 50A outlet. Our camper is a 30A camper.

We also use a splitter on the 50 amp pedastel at the campground and plug the 2 power cords into it.