Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
AC power

We are cosidering buying a Rockwood 8296SS. Is the 13,500 btu AC enough or should we upgrade to the 15,000 btu? We live and camp in FL.
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
By all means, upgrade!

For what little it cost between the 13.5 BTU and the 15K BTU, upgrade.
If you are coming to Florida (I live here) UPGRADE, UPGRADE, UPGRADE !!!!!! I promise you that you will not be sorry.


Sid & HRH DAISY
__________________

__________________
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
For what little it cost between the 13.5 BTU and the 15K BTU, upgrade.
If you are coming to Florida (I live here) UPGRADE, UPGRADE, UPGRADE !!!!!! I promise you that you will not be sorry.


Sid & HRH DAISY
Thank you for the input. We also live in FL, (Lutz which borders Tampa) and we were pretty sure that was the right way to go. Stay cool!
__________________
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Kolessar View Post
We are cosidering buying a Rockwood 8296SS. Is the 13,500 btu AC enough or should we upgrade to the 15,000 btu? We live and camp in FL.
Thanks
Yes the 15,000 BTU AC is a must!
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,617
YES, upgrade. Beter to have it and not need it than not have it and wished you had.

We only ordered one AC on our rig when new as we do 90% of our camping in conditions that require heat and I didn't want to carry the weight or spend the money on a 2nd AC. After our maiden voyage to Arizona and Utah I was wishing I had gotten the 2nd one.

Go with the bigger AC, every time!
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
YES, upgrade. Beter to have it and not need it than not have it and wished you had.

We only ordered one AC on our rig when new as we do 90% of our camping in conditions that require heat and I didn't want to carry the weight or spend the money on a 2nd AC. After our maiden voyage to Arizona and Utah I was wishing I had gotten the 2nd one.

Go with the bigger AC, every time!
I appreciate the advice. The decision has been made to go with the 15,000.
Thanks
__________________
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Member
 
2manytoyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 83
Too late, but I would have recommended the 13,500. Reason being, the 15K A/C unit requires a larger generator to run it. This may not ever be a concern for you if you don't boondock.

The Yamaha EF2400iS is the lightest, quiet series generator, capable of reliably running a 13,500 BTU A/C unit. The next sized generator, a 3KW, DOUBLEs the weight (70 lbs vs 140 lbs), and is still too small for the 15K A/C unit! Many have reported a 3.5KW generator is also too small.

I'm in FL also, and our camper is part of our evacuation plan, as is the generator.

2manytoyz - Yamaha EF2400iS Generator
__________________
Robert & Dawn
2007 Rockwood 2502
2010 F-150 FX4
Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
Too late, but I would have recommended the 13,500. Reason being, the 15K A/C unit requires a larger generator to run it. This may not ever be a concern for you if you don't boondock.

The Yamaha EF2400iS is the lightest, quiet series generator, capable of reliably running a 13,500 BTU A/C unit. The next sized generator, a 3KW, DOUBLEs the weight (70 lbs vs 140 lbs), and is still too small for the 15K A/C unit! Many have reported a 3.5KW generator is also too small.

I'm in FL also, and our camper is part of our evacuation plan, as is the generator.

2manytoyz - Yamaha EF2400iS Generator
You are true that the 15K will draw more current but it is not much.
The NEW 15K pulls 16 amps and the 13.5K about an amp less. That is minor but if you have a generator close to max load already yes it is an issue. I predict that all roof AC on RV will be 15K soon.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Thanks for the additional information. I do not use a generator when camping but I appreciate bringing this into the discussion. Getting different viewpoints is why I like these forums. Living in FL and having been through some close calls with hurricanes and losing power for a few days, I do now have a generator but never considered it and my camper as part of an evacuation plan. I actually considered it more of my back-up plan for a place to stay if the house got damaged. Since my generator is still in the box, I think I will check it for it'spower output. It is the peek of hurricane season.
__________________
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Member
 
2manytoyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 83
It's not about the running current, but rather the starting current. It takes upwards of 5 times the running current to start the compressor.

Most Ammeters are too slow to measure this. I purchased a Fluke meter, with an "In-Rush" feature.

Here's the actual startup current for my 13,500 BTU A/C unit:



Here's the running current once started:



Here's the tricky part, the generator manufacturers don't give you all the specs. But neither do the folks that make the products that plug into the generators.

My generator is 2400 Watts. 2400W for how long? 2000 Watts continuous. Hayes Equipment put a load on the generator, and reported it can handle a 3000W load for 10 seconds. How much can it handle for the split second needed to spin a motor? FWIW, the 2400W, 2800W, and 3000W Yamaha generators all use the same sized motor.

From my testing, my generator can handle a 50A load, but not a 53.8A load (my air compressor rated at 15A):



So it's already very near its limit. In that split second, the RPMs bump on the generator, the A/C EASILY starts, and the RPMs settle down to about 2/3 throttle. But when trying to start the air compressor, the compressor slowly rolls over, the generator grunts for 10 seconds, then finally indicates "overload".

My website is one of the very few that has actual testing of the Yamaha EF2400iS (I make nothing for this!). I've talked to literally thousands of people on this topic. Many I've talked with have tried unsuccessfully to run a 15K A/C unit with generators. Zero have had success with a 3KW or smaller generator.
__________________

__________________
Robert & Dawn
2007 Rockwood 2502
2010 F-150 FX4
Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rockwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.