Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Accuslide repair

I have a 8281ws fifth wheel, the bedroom slide out was coming in and made a loud clunk. Now it will go all the way out without a problem but moves just a fraction coming in and stops. Motor runs no movement. If I push from outside while my wife holds the switch we can get it in. It is hooked to shore power and battery is fine. Any thoughts?
kenhoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you know which slide model you have?
What year is your RV? Since you posted in the Rockwood section, I'll assume that it's a Rockwood.

Have you looked under the slide mechanism to see where it's not turning?
When the motor runs but it's not moving, is it making any noise other than the motor running?

It could be a sheared pin that's grabbing enough to move it with some help.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #3

The motor and gear box for the slide are one assembly with each item available separately. The gear that moves the cables in and out in the gear box is driven by the worm gear on the motor shaft. That gear rides in detents in the pot metal gear box and is elongated which allows that gear disengage from the worm gear of the motor. There are several videos on how to replace the gear box. Google them. My original gear box in our 2015 FR3 30DS model number started with 1301. The replacement upgraded gear box that I purchased from BAL (Accu Slide) started with 1901. The model number may be higher than the 1901 now. I replaced mine about 4 months ago. Not hard but you have to think it out. Look at the video that I believe is from BAL. Also print out the service manual that BAL has.
fedatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Do you know which slide model you have?
What year is your RV? Since you posted in the Rockwood section, I'll assume that it's a Rockwood.

Have you looked under the slide mechanism to see where it's not turning?
When the motor runs but it's not moving, is it making any noise other than the motor running?

It could be a sheared pin that's grabbing enough to move it with some help.

Bama, it is a Rockwood 8281WS, 2015. I have watch the mechanism it makes no change in the noise but stops moving after a few seconds and only when retracting the room. It works fine on the way out.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedatty View Post
The motor and gear box for the slide are one assembly with each item available separately. The gear that moves the cables in and out in the gear box is driven by the worm gear on the motor shaft. That gear rides in detents in the pot metal gear box and is elongated which allows that gear disengage from the worm gear of the motor. There are several videos on how to replace the gear box. Google them. My original gear box in our 2015 FR3 30DS model number started with 1301. The replacement upgraded gear box that I purchased from BAL (Accu Slide) started with 1901. The model number may be higher than the 1901 now. I replaced mine about 4 months ago. Not hard but you have to think it out. Look at the video that I believe is from BAL. Also print out the service manual that BAL has.

I will download and print the manual, I have read it a few times. Was thinking the motor wasn’t bad at first because it moved it out, just not back in, I will price the motor out. I believe it’s available on amazon. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #6

Slide Out Gear Box - Accu Slide (BAL)

The problem is the gear box. The motor is okay because it works to move the slide. The load on the drive gear chain sprocket causes the drive gear inside the gear box to cock and not engage with the drive motor worm gear thereby making a ratcheting noise and not moving the slide in or out. The chain is attached to the chain sprocket and the cables are attached to the chain and then the cables attached to the slide. My prior reply indicated the model number started with 1801 but was in error. That is the serial number not the model number.
fedatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide