Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have never been able to move it even after the 2 engineers worked on it at Goshen. One of the engineers was well over 200# and he could bump it with his shoulder and move it, but neither the other engineer or I could budge it. Doesn't bother me as at least it stays put but will move if I don't get lined up just right.
OC...thatt's just bizzare!

When we got our unit last year the techs worked and worked on the hitch and just COULD NOT get the reese to function correctly. We nneded to get home so they blocked it and we towed and turned at the KingPin.

While we were parking the rig, we needed to make a sharp turn and we damn near bumped the front of the rig into the back corner of the truck cab (DW was screaming to stop and when I did we were *just* touching RV to truck )

After a week of fuming, I got on the forums and printed out the info that you had provided about the wedge, and wrote a somewhat scathing email to Reese and Copied Dandy RV as well.

Before Reese could answer, Dandy RV called me personally and assured me they would get to the bottom of this. Two weeks later (it was over Christmas so I understand! ) We went to Dandy, dropped off the unit and a team of 3 tech descended on our rig - they shooed us off to the local BBQ joint for lunch and when we got back our hitch was ready

Swings 90 deg left and right...not a loose swing OC...but a 6 year old could move it.

I am real confuzzeled why yours does not move as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

It doesn't bother me a bit. I kinda like it the way it is as it doesn't move when trying to hitch up unless I'm really off line which is a rarity.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
It doesn't bother me a bit. I kinda like it the way it is as it doesn't move when trying to hitch up unless I'm really off line which is a rarity.
I bow to your backing and kingpin hitching Godlyness OC
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I bow to your backing and kingpin hitching Godlyness OC
The bs meter is pegged.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #25
WFD

HSVBamaBob and Oldcoot....what is the wedge mod you refer too...is the OEM wedge not good enough? Or is it because you are using the BW hitch that the mod was needed?

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
HSVBamaBob and Oldcoot....what is the wedge mod you refer too...is the OEM wedge not good enough? Or is it because you are using the BW hitch that the mod was needed?

Rick
I have a Reese 16K hitch and I didn't like the stacked, welded factory wedge so I made cut one out of 1" thick pc of steel plate and sanded the edges and drilled holes so it couldn't slip like the factory wedge.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Site Team

Mine turned fairly easy when I first got it. I would turn it 90° out of the way. Now I can't move it. 6000+ miles. After a three week, 4700 mile trip last sept I got home and found the wedge bolts had loosened some and the wedge had moved back some. I repositioned and re- torque. Check it often. I like the revolution.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
...I got home and found the wedge bolts had loosened some and the wedge had moved back some. I repositioned and re- torque. Check it often. I like the revolution.
That's exactly why I made my wedge and eliminated the slots. You can measure the space both in front and back of the bolt and cut spacers to fill the gap. The flat washers will hold them in place or just put some silicone on them and stick them in place.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #29

Quote:
That's exactly why I made my wedge and eliminated the slots. You can measure the space both in front and back of the bolt and cut spacers to fill the gap. The flat washers will hold them in place or just put some silicone on them and stick them in place.
I wish I had the means to make my own wedge. I did ditch the universal wedge for a custom wedge for my Pro Series 16k hitch. Big improvement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #30

activate Reese Revolution or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post

Rick

OC made his own And I was a slug

I took his design to my RV dealer and, since my rig was new and they were having issues getting the revolution to work they used a similar wedge design that they actually had Reese manufacture.

Only difference seems to be my revolution turns very easily at the pivot point and OC's does not--no clue why--but I LOVE my revolution!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OC made his own And I was a slug.
???
Old 04-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #32

Quote:
???

Sometimes typing on the forum iPhone app yields interesting autocorrect results "my design" should have said "YOUR design"
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Sometimes typing on the forum iPhone app yields interesting autocorrect results "my design" should have said "YOUR design"
Was referring to the slug comment.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #34

LOL - slug...as in lazy non-DIY slug
Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #35

Quote:
OC...thatt's just bizzare!

When we got our unit last year the techs worked and worked on the hitch and just COULD NOT get the reese to function correctly. We nneded to get home so they blocked it and we towed and turned at the KingPin.

While we were parking the rig, we needed to make a sharp turn and we damn near bumped the front of the rig into the back corner of the truck cab (DW was screaming to stop and when I did we were *just* touching RV to truck )

After a week of fuming, I got on the forums and printed out the info that you had provided about the wedge, and wrote a somewhat scathing email to Reese and Copied Dandy RV as well.

Before Reese could answer, Dandy RV called me personally and assured me they would get to the bottom of this. Two weeks later (it was over Christmas so I understand! ) We went to Dandy, dropped off the unit and a team of 3 tech descended on our rig - they shooed us off to the local BBQ joint for lunch and when we got back our hitch was ready

Swings 90 deg left and right...not a loose swing OC...but a 6 year old could move it.

I am real confuzzeled why yours does not move as well
My unit used to swing like yours. Oc is right mine will not move either. Same people looked at mine and took it apart in Goshen last year. They told me that it will tighten up. Said the book was wrong it's says after 500 miles it will loosen up. They said they are changing that. I didn't know the guy so I said well who told you that he said I designed it. All I said was okay. He also told me not to lube anything, cleaned the pin and pad and said just leave it alone. It it squeaks just spray the plate. Nothing else. During the winter I could move it every year, but when winter is over I can not move it at all. Don't have the slightest reason why. They also sent me an over size wedge for a reese. I said it don't fit, they said have it cut to fit, it's like an 11/4 thick at least. Been using it for over 10,000 miles no problem what so ever. The Husky wedge did not work at all. That's the reason they sent me the wedge free. I sent the Husky wedge back to etrailer and got my money back.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
My unit used to swing like yours. Oc is right mine will not move either. Same people looked at mine and took it apart in Goshen last year. They told me that it will tighten up. Said the book was wrong it's says after 500 miles it will loosen up. They said they are changing that. I didn't know the guy so I said well who told you that he said I designed it. All I said was okay. He also told me not to lube anything, cleaned the pin and pad and said just leave it alone. It it squeaks just spray the plate. Nothing else. During the winter I could move it every year, but when winter is over I can not move it at all. Don't have the slightest reason why. They also sent me an over size wedge for a reese. I said it don't fit, they said have it cut to fit, it's like an 11/4 thick at least. Been using it for over 10,000 miles no problem what so ever. The Husky wedge did not work at all. That's the reason they sent me the wedge free. I sent the Husky wedge back to etrailer and got my money back.

SO odd! The techs at Dandy RV said it should move all the time and all I had to do was keep lithium grease on it and the kingpin - I will monitor it because now I have it 90° under the bedroom to keep it out of the rain.

We have about 600 miles on the 5er now since we had the hitch worked on, so I will keep a eye on it. Thanks for the tip and I will report back if something changes
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #37
Site Team

Ive been wondering about a cheater bar of some type to get more leverage to turn mine. Be great if i could use something i already haul to save space and weight. Like a manual slide crank handle or something. Anyone ever devise one of these?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Ive been wondering about a cheater bar of some type to get more leverage to turn mine. Be great if i could use something i already haul to save space and weight. Like a manual slide crank handle or something. Anyone ever devise one of these?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app
I just kept working white lithium into it and worked it back and forth. Haven't lubed it since and he spins very easily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #39

Mine would squeak after a while on the first few trips, so I kept squirting wet graphite lubricant in the gap between the wear plates; turning the hitch 90° left, and then all the way to the right to allow the spray to get in each side. It moves pretty easy now, and no squeaks! :-)

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13, 2017: 6, 2018: 17

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Mine sure won't move by hand, but if I'm slightly misaligned it will move to align itself. I really like the Reese Revolution.