Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Sr View Post
Mine would squeak after a while on the first few trips, so I kept squirting wet graphite lubricant in the gap between the wear plates; turning the hitch 90° left, and then all the way to the right to allow the spray to get in each side. It moves pretty easy now, and no squeaks! :-)
How long have you used it? It will tighten up I did the same as you and can't move it now, but I kinda like it that way the hitch will move it if I'm not lined up. As long as the wedge is thick enough for the jaws. Mines about 1 1/2" or more thick custom made for it by a machinist. Don't know if the the one that comes with it will do that?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #42
WFD

After today I have come to the conclusion that the wedges that come from the factory with the Reese Revolution are not the best..I can see the merit of a custom machined one...packed up camp in the pouring driving rain today so things weren't going great to start with. With my factory wedge there is no room for error...I have to be lined up perfect or the wedge won't go in deep enough to engage the jaws. There is a slight lip on the edge of where my 5th hitch "funnels" down to the jaw area. Hasn't usually been a huge problem for me but today with driving rain and my being soaked it took a few attempts to get 'er lined up right. Before activating the Revolution hitch I could be off a bit to the kingpin and still come in nicely so the jaws would lock. Looks like a custom wedge is in order!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #43

The wedge that came with the revolution would not work with my hitch and could not find one from reese that would. Ended up with a custom made wedge 1-1/2" thick and never looked back. I can still move the revolution by hand with allot of effort as long as the sun has not hit it. Once it has been in the sunshine forget it, I can't move it by hand. I have maybe 1000 miles of towing since I have been using the wedge.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I can move my Revoltion by hand and looking for some wedge help at Goshen. They make a custom one for my Elite hitch. The universal wedge did walk out even after torgueing it to specs. I just noticed I need to re align before my next trip again.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I can move my Revoltion by hand and looking for some wedge help at Goshen. They make a custom one for my Elite hitch. The universal wedge did walk out even after torgueing it to specs. I just noticed I need to re align before my next trip again.
This is what you do. Call reese and tell them your problem ask them for a Reese wedge custom. It will not fit but then you can fit it and take it to a machine shop and have them cut it down to fit, mark it to fit your jaws. It will come with a point and 1 and 1/2" thick. Install that after being cut down and you will never have a problem hooking up again guaranteed. That's what I had to do because the custom wedge ordered for my hitch wouldn't fit. They sent it to me free. I paid to have it fit custom something like 20.00 bucks or so to cut it down. As long as I get the pointed end between the the jaws it will move the revolution and you will connect every time. As said before many times they will get harder and harder to move by hand. Both OC and my self and a few others made there own and they all have no problem anymore. ...... I have said this in an earlier post.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
In the interim, re-install the POS factory wedge, remove one bolt and measure and cut a pc of steel (bolt will work) that fills the gap in the slot between the bolt and the end of the slot, re-install/torque that bolt and do the same for the other bolt. This will keep the wedge from moving back or sliding side to side. I just made one out of 1" thick steel and drilled holes instead of slots and it's worked great for 2 years without loosening or moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01147.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	56315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01148.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	56316   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01149.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	56317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01146.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	56318  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #47

My Revolution swings with an estimated 30-35#'s of push/pull pressure. After vacation last year had the RV back to the dealer for slide topper installs. I mentioned that the Revolution had a creaking/groaning sound and I needed it corrected. Of course, it could only be heard at low speed pulling into/out of a campground--embarrassing! The dealer lubed (think he partially disassembled to lube) and re-torqued to spec. I could always swing it left or right even before the dealer worked on it with the same 30-35#'s of pressure. However, the creak/groan did go away, at least on the 60 mile return trip from the dealer..

Should mention too, that I have never had an issue with hitching with the Revolution and my Reese R16 (now called Titan) 5th wheel hitch. I think it is because the dealer had to call Reese and ask them what wedge to use on the Revolution. They sold/installed a Reese Pro Series wedge.

I have attached pics of the hitch and the wedge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	56723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	56724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	56725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	56726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	56727  

Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
The wedge that came with the revolution would not work with my hitch and could not find one from reese that would. Ended up with a custom made wedge 1-1/2" thick and never looked back. I can still move the revolution by hand with allot of effort as long as the sun has not hit it. Once it has been in the sunshine forget it, I can't move it by hand. I have maybe 1000 miles of towing since I have been using the wedge.
That could be the answer why I can not move mine by hand during the summer but during the winter it it will move. I think it must be that friction plate in between, But that is okay with me I think it is even easier to hook up when it stiffens up a little. I have dry lubed it and really didn't do to much. They tighten up even more as you put miles on it. As the designer and engineers who designed them told me at Goshen, that this is normal and do not grease anything expect that lube plate. they worked on mine and OC'S and told us both the same thing..... I have over 10,000 miles towing, I know that oc's and mine you can not move them at all by hand. The engineer weight over 300lbs. and he just barely move it.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #49

I don't understand the concept that the Revolution hitch will tighten up as you put more miles on it. Does wear and tear cause tolerances to become sloppy to the point that things bind? Does water get in the joint and cause rust? Doesn't make sense to me. If it is a well engineered design, with proper lube and proper torque, it shouldn't change much at all over time.

Case in point: MY RV and Revloution hitch was new last summer. Logged over 5k miles on one vacation. Hitch didn't act any tighter at the after unhooking at home than when I started. Did mention in post above that it developed a groan. Dealer re-lubed, re-torqued and groan is gone.

I really like the Revolution as it has allowed me to jackknife the RV (on the gravel at home) and the convenience of swinging the arm back out of the way.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #50

Hmmmm I think I am going to have Reese come by our unit at Goshen and check our Revolution--just to be sure.

Maybe the rest of ya'll haveing Reese issues shouls schedule a maintenance call as well.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Case in point: MY RV and Revloution hitch was new last summer. Logged over 5k miles on one vacation. Hitch didn't act any tighter at the after unhooking at home than when I started. Did mention in post above that it developed a groan. Dealer re-lubed, re-torqued and groan is gone.
Same here - although I did NOT know about torqueing - does anyone know the recommended ft-lbs?

Dealer did tell me to keep the arm completely gooed up with lithium grease. I have done so and it moves smoothly and no groaning.

Quote:
I really like the Revolution as it has allowed me to jackknife the RV (on the gravel at home) and the convenience of swinging the arm back out of the way.
BEST feature IMHO!I like being able to tuck the hitch unter the bedroom and out of the way of potential head boinks in the middle of the night (Although now that I have mounted a flagpole on the front, this might not be that big of a problem any more
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #52
Mod free 5er

Don't know of any one really having an issue other than it does make noise once in a while when new. Once the wear plate is lubed with white lithium grease, I haven't heard a peep out of it in over a year and 4 or 5,000 miles on it. To repeat what the engineers said, DO NOT LUBE the rear pivot shaft.
Some units will swivel and some won't, I have never been able to swivel mine by hand, but I really don't care as I use it to display the Flag or hold the Tailgater now.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Same here - although I did NOT know about torqueing - does anyone know the recommended ft-lbs?
80 lb/ft and tighten to insert cotter pin. Page 7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reese Revolution Sidewinder Manual.pdf (530.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
80 lb/ft and tighten to insert cotter pin. Page 7.
Oc is correct, We were told at Goshen that the brochure says it should loosen up after 500 miles of use. I showed him that. He said it was a misprint and should say it will tighten up. He said they were going to change that. There is nothing bent or anything it just the design. They walked the whole unit down, just to loosen that castle nut will do nothing at all. You will not be able to drop that by yourself. Just passing on info. Ask the rep when you are there. He also Stated about 5 x's to me do not lube anything except that 1/4 rubber disk in between. They designed it so I would think they know what they are talking about. They even ask OC's if they can use his torque wrench to do mine...... I do not have the slightest Idea why it happens but let me know when you can't push it by hand anymore. Mine pushed real easy new.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #55

When we got our 5er last year we had some problems with the hitch; in fact it was so messed up that for a couple of months we were using it just like a conventional kingpin hitch. Dandy RV was not getting much love from Reese, so I wrote Reece an not-so-pleasent-letter CCing Dandy RV. Apparently this lit a fire under Reese and they started talking with Dandy RV.

Long story short - tood the 5er to Dandy with emails and photos of OCs wedge mod. Dandy worked with Reese and installed the whole thing. The Reese swivels easily - push of a finger - and it has @1,500 miles on it so far; I'll but another 200 on it this week.

Here's the odd thing Glenn...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!

So, you bet I will be talking to Reese to get the gouge on how to maintain our hitch!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #56

Quote:
When we got our 5er last year we had some problems with the hitch; in fact it was so messed up that for a couple of months we were using it just like a conventional kingpin hitch. Dandy RV was not getting much love from Reese, so I wrote Reece an not-so-pleasent-letter CCing Dandy RV. Apparently this lit a fire under Reese and they started talking with Dandy RV.

Long story short - tood the 5er to Dandy with emails and photos of OCs wedge mod. Dandy worked with Reese and installed the whole thing. The Reese swivels easily - push of a finger - and it has @1,500 miles on it so far; I'll but another 200 on it this week.

Here's the odd thing Glenn...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!

So, you bet I will be talking to Reese to get the gouge on how to maintain our hitch!
Yea, if I were you I would, even in there direction it shows the only place to lubricate. But you know as well as I do that anything FR will say or there dealers you take with a grain of salt. I'm sure OC will say the samething. These two guys where the people who designed it not any rep. my question to you is how do you lube that pin without walking down the whole hitch? That is not a one person job. I will have them look at again in Goshen as you. Also mine took a lot more miles then that to get tight, really didn't happen until after I made my cross country trip.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Hmmmm I think I am going to have Reese come by our unit at Goshen and check our Revolution--just to be sure.

Maybe the rest of ya'll haveing Reese issues shouls schedule a maintenance call as well.
X2
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!
I'm pretty sure I would put more faith in what the engineers that designed it said than an $8/hr tech at a dealer. As Glenn stated, the engineers were very emphatic about keeping ALL lube off the rear pivot shaft. Glenn is also correct in that it is at least a 2 man job to walk the pin box down off the pivot shaft.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm pretty sure I would put more faith in what the engineers that designed it said than an $8/hr tech at a dealer. As Glenn stated, the engineers were very emphatic about keeping ALL lube off the rear pivot shaft. Glenn is also correct in that it is at least a 2 man job to walk the pin box down off the pivot shaft.
Do me a favor OC, or anyone else that sees the engineers again. Just ask them why you should not lube the shaft. Many thanks for doing that, of course post it so we all will know why. Maybe others don't care, or don't want to go that deep, but it's my nature.

As a side, called Reese last year about the groan. I suggested to him it would have been nice to have a built in grease fitting in the Revolution for lubing it. Tech didn't really have much response.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Do me a favor OC, or anyone else that sees the engineers again. Just ask them why you should not lube the shaft. Many thanks for doing that, of course post it so we all will know why. Maybe others don't care, or don't want to go that deep, but it's my nature.

As a side, called Reese last year about the groan. I suggested to him it would have been nice to have a built in grease fitting in the Revolution for lubing it. Tech didn't really have much response.
When I talked to them about it last year, they told me it had a special sleeve that did not require lube. I think it is a proprietary thing from their indication. Being a retired engineer, I was also interested, but I am also aware of such non lube brgs, sleeves and bushings. Anyway, I'll take their word for it knowing that such things do exist and has for several years.