Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Case in point: MY RV and Revloution hitch was new last summer. Logged over 5k miles on one vacation. Hitch didn't act any tighter at the after unhooking at home than when I started. Did mention in post above that it developed a groan. Dealer re-lubed, re-torqued and groan is gone.
Same here - although I did NOT know about torqueing - does anyone know the recommended ft-lbs?

Dealer did tell me to keep the arm completely gooed up with lithium grease. I have done so and it moves smoothly and no groaning.

Quote:
I really like the Revolution as it has allowed me to jackknife the RV (on the gravel at home) and the convenience of swinging the arm back out of the way.
BEST feature IMHO!I like being able to tuck the hitch unter the bedroom and out of the way of potential head boinks in the middle of the night (Although now that I have mounted a flagpole on the front, this might not be that big of a problem any more

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #52
Mod free 5er

Don't know of any one really having an issue other than it does make noise once in a while when new. Once the wear plate is lubed with white lithium grease, I haven't heard a peep out of it in over a year and 4 or 5,000 miles on it. To repeat what the engineers said, DO NOT LUBE the rear pivot shaft.
Some units will swivel and some won't, I have never been able to swivel mine by hand, but I really don't care as I use it to display the Flag or hold the Tailgater now.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Same here - although I did NOT know about torqueing - does anyone know the recommended ft-lbs?
80 lb/ft and tighten to insert cotter pin. Page 7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reese Revolution Sidewinder Manual.pdf (530.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
80 lb/ft and tighten to insert cotter pin. Page 7.
Oc is correct, We were told at Goshen that the brochure says it should loosen up after 500 miles of use. I showed him that. He said it was a misprint and should say it will tighten up. He said they were going to change that. There is nothing bent or anything it just the design. They walked the whole unit down, just to loosen that castle nut will do nothing at all. You will not be able to drop that by yourself. Just passing on info. Ask the rep when you are there. He also Stated about 5 x's to me do not lube anything except that 1/4 rubber disk in between. They designed it so I would think they know what they are talking about. They even ask OC's if they can use his torque wrench to do mine...... I do not have the slightest Idea why it happens but let me know when you can't push it by hand anymore. Mine pushed real easy new.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #55

When we got our 5er last year we had some problems with the hitch; in fact it was so messed up that for a couple of months we were using it just like a conventional kingpin hitch. Dandy RV was not getting much love from Reese, so I wrote Reece an not-so-pleasent-letter CCing Dandy RV. Apparently this lit a fire under Reese and they started talking with Dandy RV.

Long story short - tood the 5er to Dandy with emails and photos of OCs wedge mod. Dandy worked with Reese and installed the whole thing. The Reese swivels easily - push of a finger - and it has @1,500 miles on it so far; I'll but another 200 on it this week.

Here's the odd thing Glenn...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!

So, you bet I will be talking to Reese to get the gouge on how to maintain our hitch!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #56

Quote:
When we got our 5er last year we had some problems with the hitch; in fact it was so messed up that for a couple of months we were using it just like a conventional kingpin hitch. Dandy RV was not getting much love from Reese, so I wrote Reece an not-so-pleasent-letter CCing Dandy RV. Apparently this lit a fire under Reese and they started talking with Dandy RV.

Long story short - tood the 5er to Dandy with emails and photos of OCs wedge mod. Dandy worked with Reese and installed the whole thing. The Reese swivels easily - push of a finger - and it has @1,500 miles on it so far; I'll but another 200 on it this week.

Here's the odd thing Glenn...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!

So, you bet I will be talking to Reese to get the gouge on how to maintain our hitch!
Yea, if I were you I would, even in there direction it shows the only place to lubricate. But you know as well as I do that anything FR will say or there dealers you take with a grain of salt. I'm sure OC will say the samething. These two guys where the people who designed it not any rep. my question to you is how do you lube that pin without walking down the whole hitch? That is not a one person job. I will have them look at again in Goshen as you. Also mine took a lot more miles then that to get tight, really didn't happen until after I made my cross country trip.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Hmmmm I think I am going to have Reese come by our unit at Goshen and check our Revolution--just to be sure.

Maybe the rest of ya'll haveing Reese issues shouls schedule a maintenance call as well.
X2

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...the techs at Dandy told me to keep the revolution pivot point well lubed with lithium grease!
I'm pretty sure I would put more faith in what the engineers that designed it said than an $8/hr tech at a dealer. As Glenn stated, the engineers were very emphatic about keeping ALL lube off the rear pivot shaft. Glenn is also correct in that it is at least a 2 man job to walk the pin box down off the pivot shaft.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm pretty sure I would put more faith in what the engineers that designed it said than an $8/hr tech at a dealer. As Glenn stated, the engineers were very emphatic about keeping ALL lube off the rear pivot shaft. Glenn is also correct in that it is at least a 2 man job to walk the pin box down off the pivot shaft.
Do me a favor OC, or anyone else that sees the engineers again. Just ask them why you should not lube the shaft. Many thanks for doing that, of course post it so we all will know why. Maybe others don't care, or don't want to go that deep, but it's my nature.

As a side, called Reese last year about the groan. I suggested to him it would have been nice to have a built in grease fitting in the Revolution for lubing it. Tech didn't really have much response.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Do me a favor OC, or anyone else that sees the engineers again. Just ask them why you should not lube the shaft. Many thanks for doing that, of course post it so we all will know why. Maybe others don't care, or don't want to go that deep, but it's my nature.

As a side, called Reese last year about the groan. I suggested to him it would have been nice to have a built in grease fitting in the Revolution for lubing it. Tech didn't really have much response.
When I talked to them about it last year, they told me it had a special sleeve that did not require lube. I think it is a proprietary thing from their indication. Being a retired engineer, I was also interested, but I am also aware of such non lube brgs, sleeves and bushings. Anyway, I'll take their word for it knowing that such things do exist and has for several years.