Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #61

On using the wedge, some 5th Wheel hitch manufacturers don't recommend using them. As an example, the B&W 3000 specifically says not to use a wedge, but the 3300 is capable. The 3300 is the model used for the Ford 5th wheel prep package, and I verified that it is wedge capable before buying it.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
When I talked to them about it last year, they told me it had a special sleeve that did not require lube. I think it is a proprietary thing from their indication. Being a retired engineer, I was also interested, but I am also aware of such non lube brgs, sleeves and bushings. Anyway, I'll take their word for it knowing that such things do exist and has for several years.
Thanks OC for sharing that inside info. It does satisfy some of my curiosity (but not all). I should have been born in Missouri because I like to See and Touch. Would be nice to see the mechanism some day even in a semi-drop condition to check it out.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #63

Only downside to the revolution in my brief experience has been occasional difficulty locking the pin when the RV is slightly out of level, or on a grade. The wedge can get in the way of a smooth lockup and require changing the approach angle, etc. Unlocking can sometimes be a trial/error extra time issue which I suppose only experience can remedy. A perfectly level truck and trailer is the ultimate remedy, here, I suppose. And you're not gonna see that a lot.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #64

I've never lubed my Revolution and it moves freely by hand. Love that I can swing it out of the way. One problem I did have on our Rockwood 8289WS is that the factory wiring harness was clamped to the hitch boc while the Revloution was not engaged. When I engaged it, and swiveled the box by hand (good think I could), I noticed the cable would have been ripped from where ever it's connected up under the bedroom. Removing the cable clamp from the Revolution box solved the problem.
Question about the swing free vs. tight Revolutions: I wonder just how tight that monster nut on the pivot pin has to be torqued. When the weight is taken off of the landing gear, I notice the gap is uneven at my wear plate - open at the back and closed at the front. Do I need to tighten it up a bit to remove the gap?
Question 2: Is regular replacement of that wear plate to be expected? (I'll need a big socket and wrench for that one!)
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
...I wonder just how tight that monster nut on the pivot pin has to be torqued...
Torque to 80 lb/ft and tighten to align hole for cotter pin.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #66

Have the identical issue with wiring stretch with rotation of RR. Have to consult mfr about time replacement of the swivel plate etc. Only lube necessary I believe is the wedge so that it doesn't hinder lookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #67
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomstant View Post
Only downside to the revolution in my brief experience has been occasional difficulty locking the pin when the RV is slightly out of level, or on a grade. The wedge can get in the way of a smooth lockup and require changing the approach angle, etc. Unlocking can sometimes be a trial/error extra time issue which I suppose only experience can remedy. A perfectly level truck and trailer is the ultimate remedy, here, I suppose. And you're not gonna see that a lot.
Exactly what I have found, but thats with the wedge that comes with it....sounds like a custom wedge would remedy that...till such time as I get around to getting a custom wedge, I have de-activated the Reese Revolution and really have not had any issues maneuvering the trailer to where I have needed to.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #68
Mod free 5er

The factory wedge is a POS that can be fixed by grinding I smooth on both sides of the stack of plates that are tack welded together. I did that and finally just cut a new one out of 1" thick plate and eliminated the slots. Works great.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #69

Wouldn't I bump the cab (cap) with a 6.5 foot bed (F250), or close to it when making really sharp turns? Activated, mine has quite a bit of room forward of the cap.. Probably enough to fit my monster 10k generator without fear of scraping the bottom of the cap. But I wouldn't need to do that too often , anyway..

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #70
WFD

I would bet with a 6 1/2 ft box and your Reese activated...you would not have any issues...I can back mine and pretty much jacknife the trailer and not touch the cab...even with the Reese de activated, I can get awfully close to 90 degrees and not be touching the cab...but also depends on the design of your trailer cap.