Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
WFD

activate Reese Revolution or not?

Just picked up our new Rockwood 8289 with the Reese Revolution pin box..Although I have a 6 1/2 ft box and turning sharply and backing sharply do not appear to be a problem as I have enough clearance to the cab of the truck, my question is: I have a pretty narrow street in front of the house to get the 5th onto our drive, and although the clearance to the cab is fine....would I find it easier dealing with the narrow street and sharp turn backing onto the drive if I did activate the Revolution hitch? Would moving the pivot point back simplify my dealing with the narrow street and getting the trailer on the driveway?
I haven't had to put the trailer on our drive as of yet as there is still a bit too much snow piled up there and will have to wait a tad longer for more of it to melt, for now the 5th is parked at relatives.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

For no more trouble it is to activate it, I would certainly do it as it makes it a lot easier to maneuver everywhere.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

With revolution engaged, does it affect the way a fifth wheel tows ? I am also debating whether or not to engage. I have been thinking about this way too long. Need advice from others that know. Thanks
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
With revolution engaged, does it affect the way a fifth wheel tows ? I am also debating whether or not to engage. I have been thinking about this way too long. Need advice from others that know. Thanks
Doesn't affect the towing at all. The trailer will track closer to the truck tracks is all I've noticed.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Activated mine right away and love it.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Site Team

I use mine with 6.5' bed. Glad to have it.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #7

I love ours, it takes any worry out of clearance issues and tows & tracks super. Just make sure that if they make a specific wedge for your hitch then get it. We used std and had some movement so got the B&W specific wedge and now works as intended. Also have had no issues with hooking up.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Just picked up our new Rockwood 8289 with the Reese Revolution pin box..Although I have a 6 1/2 ft box and turning sharply and backing sharply do not appear to be a problem as I have enough clearance to the cab of the truck, my question is: I have a pretty narrow street in front of the house to get the 5th onto our drive, and although the clearance to the cab is fine....would I find it easier dealing with the narrow street and sharp turn backing onto the drive if I did activate the Revolution hitch? Would moving the pivot point back simplify my dealing with the narrow street and getting the trailer on the driveway?
I haven't had to put the trailer on our drive as of yet as there is still a bit too much snow piled up there and will have to wait a tad longer for more of it to melt, for now the 5th is parked at relatives.

Rick
I'd be interested as to why anyone wouldn't engage it.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
WFD

One reason for not engaging it would be the ability to continue using a teflon plate on the kingpin and never having to worry about, or deal with the messy lubing, greasing, etc, of the 5th wheel plate. Once Revolution is engaged you can't use the teflon plate...but if engaging makes that much difference that it may be a small sacrifice.

Rick
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
One reason for not engaging it would be the ability to continue using a teflon plate on the kingpin and never having to worry about, or deal with the messy lubing, greasing, etc, of the 5th wheel plate. Once Revolution is engaged you can't use the teflon plate...but if engaging makes that much difference that it may be a small sacrifice.

Rick
With the Revolution engaged there is no need to lube anything except the sides of the chute and the sides of the wedge and that really isn't necessary. The pivot 22" back has a Teflon plate that can be sprayed with white lithium grease if desired, but that is not necessary either. See no disadvantage whatsoever by engaging it, but there are several for not engaging it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
WFD

ok....concern addressed...did not realize there was a teflon plate installed at the pivot point....thanks...will activate once I get it home.

Rick
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
ok....concern addressed...did not realize there was a teflon plate installed at the pivot point....thanks...will activate once I get it home.

Rick
I think you will be happy with engaging it. If not, it is easy to go back to the regular hitch.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
With the Revolution engaged there is no need to lube anything except the sides of the chute and the sides of the wedge and that really isn't necessary. The pivot 22" back has a Teflon plate that can be sprayed with white lithium grease if desired, but that is not necessary either. See no disadvantage whatsoever by engaging it, but there are several for not engaging it.

Didn't know there was a teflon plate sandwiched in the Revolution. Mine was creaking and groaning (even after I applied grease). So I had the dealer disassemble and apply grease. Seemed ok after that but not many towing miles really to evaluate.

Have you taken yours apart Old Coot? I would have but didn't have a socket or wrench large enough.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

I made a socket and tried to disassemble, but was unsuccessful in moving it down over about 3/16" even with the nut removed. Had it disassembled in Goshen (by luck) by the 2 gentlemen that designed it. They removed the big nut and slide the pin box down the shaft, wiped all surfaces off and lubed the plate only and cautioned me to NEVER lube the shaft. Put it all back together and I've never lubed it again. I cannot move mine, but other folks say they can move theirs by hand. I put a 3' pipe on a pipe wrench and still couldn't move it. So, I just use it and forget it. Really like it as I can run a full bed hardcover tonneau cover while towing and keep everything covered but sure not water tight.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I made a socket and tried to disassemble, but was unsuccessful in moving it down over about 3/16" even with the nut removed. Had it disassembled in Goshen (by luck) by the 2 gentlemen that designed it. They removed the big nut and slide the pin box down the shaft, wiped all surfaces off and lubed the plate only and cautioned me to NEVER lube the shaft. Put it all back together and I've never lubed it again. I cannot move mine, but other folks say they can move theirs by hand. I put a 3' pipe on a pipe wrench and still couldn't move it. So, I just use it and forget it. Really like it as I can run a full bed hardcover tonneau cover while towing and keep everything covered but sure not water tight.
What is the issue with lubing the shaft, and how do you know your "not" lubing the shaft if you're just spraying white lithium between the pads?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
What is the issue with lubing the shaft, and how do you know your "not" lubing the shaft if you're just spraying white lithium between the pads?
The two engineers that designed the hitch said not to lube the shaft and if you are lubing the pads, the shaft is not exposed, in fact, you can only lube the corners of the pad.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #17

I have about 24,000 miles on mine. The first year I could easily move it left and right by hand. I called Reese about greasing it and was told to only use white lithium grease, but of course I can only get to the corners. I did that some, but have not greased it in many months.

Now I cannot budge it by hand. I guess that is okay, as it still works great and seems to be quieter.

I cannot think of any reason not to activate it. I works great and takes away any worry of hitting the trailer with my 6½' bed, moving forward or backward.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:

Rick
Rick,

First off, I too have a 6 1/2 box AND the 8289...and unless your truck cab is smaller than mine (Ford Supercrew) I believe if you jacknife your rig, you will dent the back corner of your cab

Having driven my rig in both modes, I san say without a doubt that engaging the revolution has a lot of great benefits. Of course the 22" setback turning point is one you will like that on your narrow street. I know, I have the same problem

Another advantage is hook-up. With a "standard" 5er kingpin, you have to be dead on aligned in order to engage the kingpin. Not so with the revolution!!

Here's our hitch up sequence:
  • DW gets in truck and backs in the general direction of the kingpin; stops when she is @ 4" from the kingpin.
  • I'm standing on the side step and when she gets close enough, I grab the arm and position the kingpin square with the reciever
  • DW backs up, kingpin clicks into receiver, I lock it down, and we are ready to go!
(No more backing up...no, dear you are 2" off to the right...drive forward...rinse and repeat until you are both frustrated )

IMHO that is the coolest feature of the reese revolution!

Edit: OC I just saw your post - you can't move your revolution gosh after we put the wedge mod in, it swings easily - in fact when we are parked at the house, I swing the arm under the bedroom overhang just to keep it out of the rain...
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Have never been able to move it even after the 2 engineers worked on it at Goshen. One of the engineers was well over 200# and he could bump it with his shoulder and move it, but neither the other engineer or I could budge it. Doesn't bother me as at least it stays put but will move if I don't get lined up just right.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #20

Mine swings easily and like HSVBamaBob, I swing it under the bedroom when not hitched up to keep me from walking into it! Mine still creaks and groans even with lithium grease but used to sounds after having a TT and an Equalizer Hitch set up. I have been in very tight spots and not come a bit close to making contact, but then I only have an extended cab, not crew.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote