Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
WFD

activate Reese Revolution or not?

Just picked up our new Rockwood 8289 with the Reese Revolution pin box..Although I have a 6 1/2 ft box and turning sharply and backing sharply do not appear to be a problem as I have enough clearance to the cab of the truck, my question is: I have a pretty narrow street in front of the house to get the 5th onto our drive, and although the clearance to the cab is fine....would I find it easier dealing with the narrow street and sharp turn backing onto the drive if I did activate the Revolution hitch? Would moving the pivot point back simplify my dealing with the narrow street and getting the trailer on the driveway?
I haven't had to put the trailer on our drive as of yet as there is still a bit too much snow piled up there and will have to wait a tad longer for more of it to melt, for now the 5th is parked at relatives.

Rick

Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

For no more trouble it is to activate it, I would certainly do it as it makes it a lot easier to maneuver everywhere.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

With revolution engaged, does it affect the way a fifth wheel tows ? I am also debating whether or not to engage. I have been thinking about this way too long. Need advice from others that know. Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
With revolution engaged, does it affect the way a fifth wheel tows ? I am also debating whether or not to engage. I have been thinking about this way too long. Need advice from others that know. Thanks
Doesn't affect the towing at all. The trailer will track closer to the truck tracks is all I've noticed.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Activated mine right away and love it.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Site Team

I use mine with 6.5' bed. Glad to have it.

Sent from David's RAZR M.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #7

I love ours, it takes any worry out of clearance issues and tows & tracks super. Just make sure that if they make a specific wedge for your hitch then get it. We used std and had some movement so got the B&W specific wedge and now works as intended. Also have had no issues with hooking up.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Just picked up our new Rockwood 8289 with the Reese Revolution pin box..Although I have a 6 1/2 ft box and turning sharply and backing sharply do not appear to be a problem as I have enough clearance to the cab of the truck, my question is: I have a pretty narrow street in front of the house to get the 5th onto our drive, and although the clearance to the cab is fine....would I find it easier dealing with the narrow street and sharp turn backing onto the drive if I did activate the Revolution hitch? Would moving the pivot point back simplify my dealing with the narrow street and getting the trailer on the driveway?
I haven't had to put the trailer on our drive as of yet as there is still a bit too much snow piled up there and will have to wait a tad longer for more of it to melt, for now the 5th is parked at relatives.

Rick
I'd be interested as to why anyone wouldn't engage it.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
WFD

One reason for not engaging it would be the ability to continue using a teflon plate on the kingpin and never having to worry about, or deal with the messy lubing, greasing, etc, of the 5th wheel plate. Once Revolution is engaged you can't use the teflon plate...but if engaging makes that much difference that it may be a small sacrifice.

Rick
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
One reason for not engaging it would be the ability to continue using a teflon plate on the kingpin and never having to worry about, or deal with the messy lubing, greasing, etc, of the 5th wheel plate. Once Revolution is engaged you can't use the teflon plate...but if engaging makes that much difference that it may be a small sacrifice.

Rick
With the Revolution engaged there is no need to lube anything except the sides of the chute and the sides of the wedge and that really isn't necessary. The pivot 22" back has a Teflon plate that can be sprayed with white lithium grease if desired, but that is not necessary either. See no disadvantage whatsoever by engaging it, but there are several for not engaging it.