Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Add an Oven?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2306. I've found one, actually at a *great* price, but the catch is that it doesn't have the oven option. I want an oven..... Other campers with ovens are around, but for probably $3k more.

So, I'm looking for any information about adding an oven. Can I add an oven, or is it build into the range so I'm actually swapping ranges? What does the oven (or range with the oven) cost? How involved would the swap be (has anyone done it)?

If I had to guess, the oven is part of the range and I'd have to pony up $1k or $1200, plus the time (and small amount of risk) of putting it in. Thus making the $3k more seem not so bad.

Anyone with experience? Anyone know actual prices?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 09-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
Head Rambler

You can get a 17" range for about $400. And if you're willing to give up the cabinet space under the stovetop it wouldn't be too hard to modify it for the range.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You can get a 17" range for about $400. And if you're willing to give up the cabinet space under the stovetop it wouldn't be too hard to modify it for the range.
Well that's not so bad.
Giving up the cabinet space is a given.
Then I'd have a couple extra doors for any other cabinets I'd want to build.

Does anyone know the brand/model number that is put in these trailers (2306 or 23LB)?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Hi aeblank / Andy,
Before you go to the expense of buying a new stove there's some things you should know. There's 2 stoves available (I believe they're made by Suburban but not certain). There's the 3 burner "pizza oven". Basically the oven can only accommodate something the size of a pizza. and the second one is much deeper. We have the deeper one.
HOWEVER to light the oven you have to get down on your knees with a
BBQ starter. Locate the ignitor in the bottom of the stove under the shelf
& then try to light it. I and nearly everyone I've talked to just don't use it
at all. Just keep pots & pans in there. I spoke to a dealer if there was an upgrade kit & they said because of the danger of gas the upgrade might cost more than the stove is worth so no upgrade kit.
Now what we're looking at is removing the stove altogether & replacing it with an Apollo Stove. It comes with 3 gas burners & in place of the oven
there's a convection / microwave. For your info it's model:

- AD-34_BIS/B 24" Range built in with cooktop (from Apollo Worldwide).
- Trim Kit: 23.75 inches Wide x 17.5 inches High x19.5 deep
So it is about 24 inches wide. Don't know if you can accommodate
something that wide. The nice thing about this is the burners are gas
but the oven is electric so if you are boondocking you can still use the gas burners & if you have a generator you can use the oven too. I contacted
Apollo & they sell for $400 - 500.
BTW our trailer is a MiniLite 2304 with no pop out.
Now if you have never used a microwave convection oven the big
motorhomes all have them instead of an oven. I know people that
even bake pies in them.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
I know that many (most?) don't use an oven, but I know we will. If electricity is available, I'd probably just use the microwave. I'm coming from a 20+ year old sunline, so I'm used to the PIA lighting procedure. I'm roughing it, I can handle it. =)

Didn't know about the pizza-model. That may actually be fine for us, but it's something to watch for.......for sure. No pies here, but for sure pasties, pizzas, and nachos.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Or, you could just have the dealer order you one equipped exactly like you want down to the interior colors for the same price more or less. The oven option is less than $750 from the factory if memory serves.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Or, you could just have the dealer order you one equipped exactly like you want down to the interior colors for the same price more or less. The oven option is less than $750 from the factory if memory serves.
Sure, I could.
I certainly can't order one for $10K. As I mentioned, I could also get a different used one, with oven/options, for about $3k more. To me, $400+a weekend is worth looking at to save $3k.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

Hi Again aeblank / Andy,
Well the "pizza oven" might work perfectly for you. Will probably be some what cheaper than the deep oven too. As far as the burners. We use them all the time & they light great & work great.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Sure, I could.
I certainly can't order one for $10K. As I mentioned, I could also get a different used one, with oven/options, for about $3k more. To me, $400+a weekend is worth looking at to save $3k.
Ah, I thought you were looking at new units.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #10

Our previous tt did not have an oven. The microwave was mounted in the "oven space". The wife shopped around and got a toaster oven to use. It did everything she wanted it to do. I think it was a Black & Decker brand. They come in all sizes. The unit was portable and sat on the counter. Just a suggestion...............

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote