Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Adding a fireplace?

We have a rockwood 2604 and under the tv is a false cabinet. I was wondering if a electric fireplace is doable there. It would pull about 12.5 amps at 1500 btu's. I was wondering if the outlet would handle it, or throw the breaker
CandyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

1500 BTU fireplace/heater has a dedicated plug & breaker (from factory) in my RV. I think you'd need to do the same.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Playtime III

We just bought a free standing one from HD. It does not have the remote control but it does have a thermostat and only 1350watts (sticker says: 12.5 Amps). You should add up the Amps (or watts) of everything that will be running. You cannot exceed 15A on the circuit or 30A for all of the circuits. For example, do not try using a newer (1875w) hairdryer and the heater at the same time.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Playtime III

Our fireplace blows heated air out the top face of the fireplace BUT draws in room air through top and side vents of the unit's frame. If you get a similiar unit you need to be careful that the cabinet won't block the intake air.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
We just bought a free standing one from HD. It does not have the remote control but it does have a thermostat and only 1350watts (sticker says: 12.5 Amps). You should add up the Amps (or watts) of everything that will be running. You cannot exceed 15A on the circuit or 30A for all of the circuits. For example, do not try using a newer (1875w) hairdryer and the heater at the same time.
The wiring is not intended to be maxed out at 15 amps for the branch circuit. Just like a house, they are meant to be loaded up to 12 amps. If the factory decides a dedicated breaker and outlet are required, there was a reason.
It isn't safe to overload your branch circuits, especially if you have other stuff plugged in and in use at the same time.
Wpgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

I would be curious to know how many people on this forum use electric heaters in thier rvs. I do, it is a 750/1500 watt unit. We are careful not to plug it in with other heavy loads but in over 10 years of using this one or it's predecessor we have never had a problem.

These electric fire places are nothing more than a pretty electric heater. If you over load the circuit it will pop, if you over load the 30 amp circuit it will pop. A dedicated breaker and plug would be the best ticket if you are able to get that done.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I would be curious to know how many people on this forum use electric heaters in thier rvs. I do, it is a 750/1500 watt unit. We are careful not to plug it in with other heavy loads but in over 10 years of using this one or it's predecessor we have never had a problem.

These electric fire places are nothing more than a pretty electric heater. If you over load the circuit it will pop, if you over load the 30 amp circuit it will pop. A dedicated breaker and plug would be the best ticket if you are able to get that done.
Using a heater is fine. Using a heater that draws 13a for long periods with other devices plugged in at the same time can definitely cause some problems! Just because the breaker didn't trip doesn't mean you are not causing damage. The main breaker is a 30, but the branch circuit is only a 15.

Better to be safe. You can also purchase very efficient 300-800watt heaters which are better and cheaper to run. Less likely to overload the circuits as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLou View Post
We have a rockwood 2604 and under the tv is a false cabinet. I was wondering if a electric fireplace is doable there. It would pull about 12.5 amps at 1500 btu's. I was wondering if the outlet would handle it, or throw the breaker
I guess if you think about it, you can use the "fireplace" for its original intended purpose. Ya know they have up to 6 lamps in them for the display. If you really want a heater you can get a heater. If you want the decor of a FP, don't use its heater and don't overload your probably maxed out circuits. The heater in these things are not very efficient, no electric heater is, but some are better than the FP heater. I'm guessing your trailer has 30 amp service. Start the Microwave for popcorn, with lights and TV on and you'll be heading outside to reset the breaker!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Our new Jayco has a fireplace and a switch lets you select the hot water heater or the fireplace but not both at the same time. didnt check to see if I can use the fireplace in a non heat mode while the hot water heater is selected..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Grape Escape

Added a built fireplace to our Cardinal. Best addition ever. It has a normal 3 prong plug end. It can be plugged into any 110v circuit as one would in any household. Sure if you plug anything else into circuit the breaker will blow as it would on any other 15 amp receptical if it were overloaded.
Some people on these forums overthink everything
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Added a built fireplace to our Cardinal. Best addition ever. It has a normal 3 prong plug end. It can be plugged into any 110v circuit as one would in any household. Sure if you plug anything else into circuit the breaker will blow as it would on any other 15 amp receptical if it were overloaded.
Over thinking safety.......in a trailer......yeah. You may want to check out how many fires and deaths are caused by electric heaters and fireplaces on overloaded circuits in a house. Do you think a trailers wiring is better or worse?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
No some are thinking correctly. Your unit appears to have "50 amp service". In reality that is 100 amps available as 220V, split to two 50 amp breakers. Thats triple the capacity of the OP setup. If you trip a breaker shame on you! If he trips withs this added load its cause he wasn't informed. Wrong church, wrong pew.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #13

I added a fireplace to our Wildcat. Heats real well. Added it to the big empty spot under our tv. Wired a separate plug for it so it can be used to the 110 plug on the power pole.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I would be curious to know how many people on this forum use electric heaters in thier rvs.
We do, but we do the same thing as cpaulsen does with his fireplace (sorta). We stow a heavy-duty construction extension cord in the electrical bay where the trailer's umbilical is stored. It can be accessed inside from under the sofa. It runs the space heater off the power pole, bypassing the TT's wiring totally.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #15

We put a fireplace in our 2011 GreyWolf 26RL have not had a chance to use it yet. May have to make changes with the electrical, but won't know until we actually use it.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote