Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Adjusting the cables on a Rockwood/Flagstaff WS

I thought I'd post about my little work project this afternoon on our Rockwood 8280WS.

The wardrobe slide has worked flawless and fullly contacts the seals whether in or out. I've noticed that the exterior cables on the slide are very slack, more than when new and one drive chain looked very slack when the slide was in.

I found a installation and operating manual for BAL Accuslide on their site.

Here's the link http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ion-manual.pdf

I was concerned that if the cables/chains are too slack, it may jump a tooth on the sprocket, come off a pulley and become misaligned.

They spec that the cables should have no more than 1" of vertical movement. You measure that on the exterior cables when the slide is extended and on the interior cables when the slide is in.

The inside cables were reasonably close to 1" of movement, but on the exterior cables, the top ones were almost 2" and the bottom ones about 1 1/4".

You have to remove the valance panel above the slide the access the mechanicals. With the slide all the way out I adjusted the cable ends on the 'IN' cable/chain contectors. The cables on each 'IN' conector are marked top and bottom corresponding with the top and bottom exterior cables. I needed to tighten the top cables about 1/4" which resulted in only 1 1/4" of movement when measured outside. I decided to leave the bottom cables as they were. The interior side cable were okay and wren't adjusted.

I ran the slide in and out a few times and rechecked the cable movement. All interior/exterior cables have about 1 - 1 1/4" of vertical movement.

One chain was still quite slack when the slide was fully in. I tighten that chain connector (it was the left 'OUT' cable/chain connector) and ran the slide in and out a few times and all chains seem to have the same tension.

If anyone else have noticed this slackness of the chains or cables on the wardrobe slide, it isn't very difficult to adjust and a good, preventitive measure.

If there are any questions, I'll try to answer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote