Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #21

I'm all for being careful with infants.

Copper in large doses like anything can be harmful, copper in low doses is a nutrient...... But as far as copper piping with stagnant water may be an issue running or using piping or running the water after it sits for long periods is recommended. Copper in piping was and is still used in water piping systems today.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
CG water worries me because of backflow issues. I'm not sure the regulations for a CG, but they probably have a single backflow at the main. So when a camp ground water line breaks, do you think that a certified utility contractor comes out to repair and chlorinate the water lines? Probably not. They probably have a maintenance guy dig up the lines and repair and cover them back up with no chlorination. If you have a break in the line, where some rookie RV'r just dumped their sewer all over the ground, that's a recipe for a whole bunch of sick people.

Plus, I've noticed at some CGs when you shut off the water, it sucks back down the pipe. I think it is an anti-freeze feature, but that is worrisome to me as well. I am not a plumber and I don't know how the hose bibbs are built but it just seems there could be a chance of contamination from this as well.

For an adult, will it make you sick? Possibly, but probably not. If there is a major contamination, it could be very bad though. Southern Mississippi had a ton of issues with people dying because of no backflow preventers in their water lines.

For a child or especially a baby, the only water they are going to have from me is nursery water for an infant or bottled water when they get a little older.

Just a question? I have never seen a utility contractor or other plumber in any area that I have lived or worked, do any work on water lines and use any type of chlorination when hooking water lines up or back up after a repair. Just the chlorination that may be in the city water itself.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 10-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #23

Not using CG water, treated town supply. You can still drink from a large percentage of NZ streams.
sgh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just a question? I have never seen a utility contractor or other plumber in any area that I have lived or worked, do any work on water lines and use any type of chlorination when hooking water lines up or back up after a repair. Just the chlorination that may be in the city water itself.

I'm sorry to hear that. I build in the eastern half of the U.S. Pretty much every water municipality requires utility contractors to chlorinate water mains before use. A fair amount require for the service lines from the backflow at the street to the building be chlorinated as well.

Why do you think that when a water line breaks, there are boil water advisories?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Millions,probably billions of people did and still do drink from copper plumbing that was soldered with lead/tin solder. I would like to see any REAL proof that it is or ever was harmful. More of a political move IMO.
I agree. Heck some of us survived the old galvanized lead plumbing for years.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #26
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh77 View Post
Not using CG water, treated town supply. You can still drink from a large percentage of NZ streams.
As long as you sanitize the system, and are happy with the water supply, I don't see what the harm would be. US and NZ water supplies are apples and oranges...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #27

To sgy77.
IMHO, your should only use distilled water for your baby. I don't trust MH or TT water systems even if they are filtered and from a municipal water supply. Again, IMHO, MH and TT water systems are only suitable for bathing and washing dishes.
Al
Al Fiallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #28

Frost free hydrants have a valve below ground. When you shut off the water the hydrant drains out an opening below the riser to prevent freezing. That riser is usually in a base of gravel to absorb the discharge. When the hydrant is opened the valve closes opening the line to city flow. Your water will be clean. Lived on a farm with many such hydrants and have lived to tell the tale.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #29
Done with this

The member is in NEW ZEALAND!!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I build in the eastern half of the U.S. Pretty much every water municipality requires utility contractors to chlorinate water mains before use. A fair amount require for the service lines from the backflow at the street to the building be chlorinated as well.

Why do you think that when a water line breaks, there are boil water advisories?
Because they are not chlorinated until water clears the system and there can be bacteria etc in the system from the break Its just not done in this region of the country.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #31

Quote:

Quote:
Because they are not chlorinated until water clears the system and there can be bacteria etc in the system from the break Its just not done in this region of the country.

Not sure which part you are saying is not done in VA? You said 2 posts up you have never seen them chlorinate.. Now you are saying they are chlorinated after water clears.

Are you saying that water lines are not disinfected by chlorination in Virginia? Or are you saying they are not disinfected at all?

It is standard protocol to blow off the lines and chlorinate the water supply pretty much everywhere we have been. Some towns make you keep the water off until the test results come back after chlorination. (This is mostly for new construction). For main breaks, they issue a boil water advisory until the tests come back negative, but they are still chlorinated.

Either way, this is a good reason why it is highly recommended not to give an infant tap water these days. Our pediatrician said to wait until a year before using tap water for bottles or for anything that won't be cooked.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I do not use the hot water heater for anything that purposely goes into my mouth. I may get a bit of water in my mouth when taking a shower, but that is it.

Anybody that has cleaned out a water heater (especially a home water heater) will see the gunk that is left in the bottom of the tank. Even cleaning out my camper water heater once a year, the sediment at the bottom does not look good. For those camper water heaters that use anode rods, the sediment will either be aluminum particles (not good), or magnesium particles (a bit better, since our bodies need magnesium).

Only use cold water, and give it a little more time on the stove.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Not sure which part you are saying is not done in VA? You said 2 posts up you have never seen them chlorinate.. Now you are saying they are chlorinated after water clears.

Are you saying that water lines are not disinfected by chlorination in Virginia? Or are you saying they are not disinfected at all?

It is standard protocol to blow off the lines and chlorinate the water supply pretty much everywhere we have been. Some towns make you keep the water off until the test results come back after chlorination. (This is mostly for new construction). For main breaks, they issue a boil water advisory until the tests come back negative, but they are still chlorinated.

Either way, this is a good reason why it is highly recommended not to give an infant tap water these days. Our pediatrician said to wait until a year before using tap water for bottles or for anything that won't be cooked.
No I am saying the repair contractor does not chlorinate the lines, the chlorine is in the city water. I understand you to say the contractor chlorinates the lines prior to use with the city water. I'll have to ask the guys next time I see new work that is very rare........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO