Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just a question? I have never seen a utility contractor or other plumber in any area that I have lived or worked, do any work on water lines and use any type of chlorination when hooking water lines up or back up after a repair. Just the chlorination that may be in the city water itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Because they are not chlorinated until water clears the system and there can be bacteria etc in the system from the break Its just not done in this region of the country.

Not sure which part you are saying is not done in VA? You said 2 posts up you have never seen them chlorinate.. Now you are saying they are chlorinated after water clears.

Are you saying that water lines are not disinfected by chlorination in Virginia? Or are you saying they are not disinfected at all?

It is standard protocol to blow off the lines and chlorinate the water supply pretty much everywhere we have been. Some towns make you keep the water off until the test results come back after chlorination. (This is mostly for new construction). For main breaks, they issue a boil water advisory until the tests come back negative, but they are still chlorinated.

Either way, this is a good reason why it is highly recommended not to give an infant tap water these days. Our pediatrician said to wait until a year before using tap water for bottles or for anything that won't be cooked.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I do not use the hot water heater for anything that purposely goes into my mouth. I may get a bit of water in my mouth when taking a shower, but that is it.

Anybody that has cleaned out a water heater (especially a home water heater) will see the gunk that is left in the bottom of the tank. Even cleaning out my camper water heater once a year, the sediment at the bottom does not look good. For those camper water heaters that use anode rods, the sediment will either be aluminum particles (not good), or magnesium particles (a bit better, since our bodies need magnesium).

Only use cold water, and give it a little more time on the stove.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Not sure which part you are saying is not done in VA? You said 2 posts up you have never seen them chlorinate.. Now you are saying they are chlorinated after water clears.

Are you saying that water lines are not disinfected by chlorination in Virginia? Or are you saying they are not disinfected at all?

It is standard protocol to blow off the lines and chlorinate the water supply pretty much everywhere we have been. Some towns make you keep the water off until the test results come back after chlorination. (This is mostly for new construction). For main breaks, they issue a boil water advisory until the tests come back negative, but they are still chlorinated.

Either way, this is a good reason why it is highly recommended not to give an infant tap water these days. Our pediatrician said to wait until a year before using tap water for bottles or for anything that won't be cooked.
No I am saying the repair contractor does not chlorinate the lines, the chlorine is in the city water. I understand you to say the contractor chlorinates the lines prior to use with the city water. I'll have to ask the guys next time I see new work that is very rare........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote