Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #1

Advice Please... drinking from hot tap?

Hi Ive been filling my baby's bottle from the hot tap (as its the perfect temp). However I dont know if the water heater etc is copper lined.

Does anyone know if it is safe?

2015 Rockwood 3008w
sgh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #2

Copper is expensive, most are probably ceramic lined. If your comfortable with the water system it should be good. Mostly I would be concerned with the safety of the supply side, condition of the tank or hose to camper. Bottle water sitting in hot water will eliminate questions. Give the baby a tickle for me.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation View Post
Copper is expensive, most are probably ceramic lined. If your comfortable with the water system it should be good. Mostly I would be concerned with the safety of the supply side, condition of the tank or hose to camper. Bottle water sitting in hot water will eliminate questions. Give the baby a tickle for me.
X2 with Timtation. Most likely you have a Suburban brand water heater, which is a steel tank with a porcelain lining.

The following is taken from the manufacturer website:

Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Products

Longer Life

Heated water attacks all metals, but not porcelain. That's why Suburban uses a porcelain-lined, steel water heater tank with an anode rod to "absorb" the electrolytical action - just like your water heater at home. In fact, when a Suburban porcelain-lined tank is properly maintained, tank life may double or triple its three-year limited warranty, saving owners the cost of premature replacement. In addition, every Suburban tank is pressure tested twice during the manufacturing process to ensure its integrity.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have an Atwood brand water heater, then it's an aluminum tank:

http://www.askforatwood.com/images/W...tage-Sheet.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:53 AM   #4

Yes it is Suburban, cheers for that
Old 10-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #5

Ok I'm slow this AM , I know that the water heater is not copper lined but if it were why would that be an issue?????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Ok I'm slow this AM , I know that the water heater is not copper lined but if it were why would that be an issue?????

I'm with you. Houses had copper pipes for years, and we lived
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh77 View Post
Hi Ive been filling my baby's bottle from the hot tap (as its the perfect temp). However I dont know if the water heater etc is copper lined.

Does anyone know if it is safe?

2015 Rockwood 3008w

We used nursery water from a gallon jug. Left the jug on the counter and gave him room temp bottles. He is 1.5 now. It helped tremendously because we never needed to heat or cool his bottles. Wish us luck, we got number 2 on the way.

How old is your little one?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #8

It is not the copper pipes in old houses that was the issue it was the lead solder used at the joints that was the potential issue. But lead solder is no longer used. Copper piping is still used in houses but not as much as in years gone past. Mainly due to costs. Even a copper penny is no longer copper its clad. But I am not convinced that the old solders were a huge issue but that is another argument.

Our first camper had copper piping.

But I am still trying to figure out today why a copper liner in a water heater would be a bad thing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
It is not the copper pipes in old houses that was the issue it was the lead solder used at the joints that was the potential issue. But lead solder is no longer used. Copper piping is still used in houses but not as much as in years gone past. Mainly due to costs. Even a copper penny is no longer copper its clad. But I am not convinced that the old solders were a huge issue but that is another argument.

Our first camper had copper piping.

But I am still trying to figure out today why a copper liner in a water heater would be a bad thing.
I would like to have a copper lined water heater if there were such a thing.

And, up until about two years ago, most of the valves and faucets we plumbers used contained lead. Everything we buy at the supply house that will be connected to the potable water supply system must be lead-free now. We still use many other products containing lead, asbestos and other materials known to be bad for humans (and rats).

Bruce
Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I would like to have a copper lined water heater if there were such a thing.

And, up until about two years ago, most of the valves and faucets we plumbers used contained lead. Everything we buy at the supply house that will be connected to the potable water supply system must be lead-free now. We still use many other products containing lead, asbestos and other materials known to be bad for humans (and rats).

Bruce
You are exactly correct....... many people think that when the go to Lowes,
Home Depot, etc that none of the products they buy are hazardous or contain asbestos but that would not be correct. Millions of pounds of asbestos still go into building construction annually. The urban myth that anything built after 1985 does not contain asbestos, but that is far from correct. Watch for labels that say contains natural fibers because that probably has some asbestos.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Consider a Brita pitcher filter. Really helps.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Most liquor still were copper. Only had problems when using radiators as condensers. (lead solder)
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #13

The reason for concern is, metallic copper (not organic copper) is linked to brain issues, metal copper is also known to disolve an enzyme essential for good health.
(Chloe my beautiful little girl, is 14 months old).
Old 10-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #14

I wouldn't consider filling a baby's water bottle from the hot tap unless I was darn SURE that it was safe to drink. I assume that you have an extremely good water filter that is maintained correctly and even then I would be concerned about how CG water might disrupt a baby's digestive system. When we're in a CG, we use bottled water for drinking to avoid the "back door trots".
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I'm with you. Houses had copper pipes for years, and we lived

We still do in most homes built since 1965, up to the point that they started using pex like the travel trailers. And the only problem I've heard about that is when the developer leaves it laying in the Sun too long during construction and it starts to deteriorate prematurely and leak
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
... I would be concerned about how CG water might disrupt a baby's digestive system. When we're in a CG, we use bottled water for drinking to avoid the "back door trots".
I've never quite understood this point of view on CG water. So far as I'm aware, unless it's a very big CG, they have ONE water supply (well or city). Everyone uses it, especially the CG OWNER. Do you think he's drinking bad water?? He's got to drink it every day, not just a day or two "passing through."

Only concern I would have is a contaminated faucet where I hook up. (That's why they make Clorox.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

This retired Registered Nurse votes that you take along bottled water for the baby, no sense in risking a stomach upset away from home. Babies have limited immune systems and i would not risk giving other than bottled water while the child is still of an age to need a bottle. If you want to warm it, set it in a pan of hot water for a few minutes to take the chill off.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I've never quite understood this point of view on CG water. So far as I'm aware, unless it's a very big CG, they have ONE water supply (well or city). Everyone uses it, especially the CG OWNER. Do you think he's drinking bad water?? He's got to drink it every day, not just a day or two "passing through."

Only concern I would have is a contaminated faucet where I hook up. (That's why they make Clorox.)

CG water worries me because of backflow issues. I'm not sure the regulations for a CG, but they probably have a single backflow at the main. So when a camp ground water line breaks, do you think that a certified utility contractor comes out to repair and chlorinate the water lines? Probably not. They probably have a maintenance guy dig up the lines and repair and cover them back up with no chlorination. If you have a break in the line, where some rookie RV'r just dumped their sewer all over the ground, that's a recipe for a whole bunch of sick people.

Plus, I've noticed at some CGs when you shut off the water, it sucks back down the pipe. I think it is an anti-freeze feature, but that is worrisome to me as well. I am not a plumber and I don't know how the hose bibbs are built but it just seems there could be a chance of contamination from this as well.

For an adult, will it make you sick? Possibly, but probably not. If there is a major contamination, it could be very bad though. Southern Mississippi had a ton of issues with people dying because of no backflow preventers in their water lines.

For a child or especially a baby, the only water they are going to have from me is nursery water for an infant or bottled water when they get a little older.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Done with this

Did y'all notice where this member is from? Who knows what tap water is like in New Zealand.... Might be better than bottled water, might be ......

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #20

Millions,probably billions of people did and still do drink from copper plumbing that was soldered with lead/tin solder. I would like to see any REAL proof that it is or ever was harmful. More of a political move IMO.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote