Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Advice to newbie

We are considering purchasing a 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104 from a private party. We would be towing with a new Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4. Any advice about evaluating the trailer, making the purchase, etc would be welcome.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Whats the weight?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Base weight 3419, carrying weight 1233. Well within 11,100 GCWR of the Tacoma. I am more concerned about evaluating the condition of the 3 year old trailer. Are there any weaknesses we should look for?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

All the standard stuff, make sure all the appliances work, have it hooked up to water and have water in the fresh water tank so you can try the pump and check for leaks. Run the slide in and out and the awning, electric or manual. One of the biggest things to look for is any water leaks on the ceiling or sides. You will want to push on the siding and interior, especially in the corners to look for soft spots. If you can get a ladder check the roof to make sure the caulking looks good and the roof is not too dirty, this will show if the person cleaned the roof to check for leaks.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
All the standard stuff, make sure all the appliances work, have it hooked up to water and have water in the fresh water tank so you can try the pump and check for leaks. Run the slide in and out and the awning, electric or manual. One of the biggest things to look for is any water leaks on the ceiling or sides. You will want to push on the siding and interior, especially in the corners to look for soft spots. If you can get a ladder check the roof to make sure the caulking looks good and the roof is not too dirty, this will show if the person cleaned the roof to check for leaks.
Exactly this! The major thing is the water damage, sometimes you have to look close, take your time and be diligent. Have you owned a camper before? If not try to take someone with you that has and knows the ins and outs. Is the camper local and has the camper been serviced at a local dealer? If so you could ask the dealer about it. Don't be afraid to push on seems and floors. Ask how he maintained the seams and then look at all the seams and caulk to verify. Look at the roof for cracking, missing sealant at the seams.

If you haven't owned or towed with the truck really research the weights and capabilities. I know you said you weren't concerned because the truck had a 11,100 GCWR but that number doesn't tell the whole story. Look in the door jam for the weight loading sticker. I bet the limiting factor will be the payload number, the brochure says that truck has a payload limit of 1400#. The camper weight fully loaded is 4652#, the tongue weight will be in the vicinity of 580# give or take. That means you have 900 left over for cargo and passengers in the truck before you are at max. The 900 could be eaten up quick once you put a few passengers, dogs, bikes and whatever cargo in the back.

I am not trying to be the weight police here I am just bringing things to your attention.

I would see if they have a WDH for it and have them throw that in the deal. Hope this helps.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #6

We have a 2013 2104. Have had no problems that were not caused by the owner other than last year we had a delamination problem on the front window causing water leakage. Lucky for us it happened on the way to the Goshen FROG get together and FR replaced the entire front of the trailer n/c.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

We've had our 2012 2104 for a couple years now with no problems at all (knock, knock). The drawer under the sink (silverware drawer) likes to pop open a lot but I added a better drawer/cabinet catch to it and it's now fine. Had to add an additional door catch to the storage closet behind the toilet too. I also added a Oxygenics BodySpa RV shower head since the stock shower head is terrible.
We also tow it with a Tacoma and it does pretty well with the WDH, sway control, Prodigy P3 and I put Firestone Ride-Rite airbags in the rear of the Tacoma. I tow at about 58-60mph and the only time it struggles is in the hills but downshifts and paying attention to upcoming hills takes care of that usually.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

If it's set up like my 2109S, make sure you look underneath at the "L" bars that hold the fresh water tank up. Mine bent after my first trip out.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #9

If it has a microwave put a cup of water in it and see if it gets hot.
Check the 110 outlets inside and out with a small lamp or outlet tester.
Open any doors that are in the corners and look for water stains.
Check under the unit for dings and dents, look for signs of blowout damage in the wheel wells.

Tags