Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

AGM Batteries

I searched the old posts for this answer and some of the posts came close to answering it but was not specific. I'm still looking on the internet but wanted to ask the question here as well.

I am considering replacing my single battery with 2 AGM batteries so I have the option of doing a little boondocking. Right now, my battery is in the compartment near the fifth wheel king pin. It is a low compartment that is hard to get stuff in and out because of having to bend over. It would be nice to place the new batteries in the storage place under the bed. I know this would not be wise with conventional batteries due to the fumes and possible explosion.

Question: Does AGM batteries produce fumes and therefore need to be vented to the outside?

Thanks in advance.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #2

I think any and all batteries used in RV trailers should be vented it is your "home" so to speak.

My DP 27 MF centennial battery came in a vented battery box in the front compartment, if I was going to move it the box an vent tube would get moved and used with it.

If I was going to add one it would go in a vented box.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

There will be a little H gas expelled from the AGM, not much, but some. I would not do an interior install. You don't have to do any maintenance with the AGMs so standard install should be an easy no-brainer.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

I have 2 Lifeline AGM batteries on my trailer.
AGM batteries do not out gas.
They are totally sealed with no venting whatsoever.
On the downside if they are fully discharged they can be tough to bring back up to full charge.
They need to be charged at a very high rate if they ever become fully dead.
I bought mine at a Batteries Plus store - I think they were about $150 each.
I was tired of having to constantly check the level of electrolyte in my old batteries. One of them was difficult to gain access to.
That was 9 years ago and they are still working fine.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I have 2 Lifeline AGM batteries on my trailer.
AGM batteries do not out gas.
They are totally sealed with no venting whatsoever.
THIS is correct. AGM's do NOT out-gas. Not even slightly. You are perfectly fine to install them in your under bed storage area.

I have had 4 lifeline AGM's installed in my under bed storage area for over two years now. I know quite a number of folks, actually, that use AGM's for "inside" applications... even in one of those little camper vans. All without incident. They can even be installed on their sides.. or even upside down for that matter.

The only suggestion I would have would be to make sure they are properly secured, and be aware of weight distribution.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Just to try to clear up the acronym used here AGM does not refer to a certain brand of battery.
It stands for absorbed gas mat and it is a different type of lead acid battery altogether.
Google the term if you want to know more about it.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

AGM batteries CAN vent when overcharged as they have check valves built in to them to relieve pressure. All enginerring standards call for ventilation of both types of batteries since the venting is hydrogen and quite explosive if not mixed.
You don't need much for agms...just enough to get some air in and out from under the platform. A couple of small circular holes covered by grills should be quite sufficient. Put at the TOP of the frame to let the light hydrogen escape.
I slept with a pair of 8D AGM's (500 amphours) under me for years with no issue but we did have vents.
Vent Masters Store Stainless Steel Vents
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #8

AGM's are sealed and don't need to be vented. They can be mounted laying on the side or upside down and will also not cause corrosion. They do not gas off, if they did they wouldn't last bec. there is no way to add water.
They have slightly different charging requirements compared to flooded cell batteries and therefore the C/C needs to be set for AGM batteries.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

So I'll back step from my original post 1 degree. Is it "possible" for AGM's to off gas in an overcharging situation? Yes. There IS a one way pressure relief valve on AGM's. (not air in air out). Typically set to around 2-3 PSI.. depending on the brand. But even then you are not talking about "off gassing" like a wet cell does. It's simply that the efficiency of the internal recombination is decreased and you might get a very slight O2 and H off gas (which quickly dissipates at such minute levels.).

I don't have hard data, but in the RV scene, I would hazard to guess that less than 2-5% of folks even possess the equipment capable of overcharging an AGM. Let's face it.. most RV chargers on the market are not even capable of meeting minimum charge requirements.

Do you want to put your AGM's in a form fitting air tight container? No. Does it hurt to put in a 1" "breathing hole" in your battery storage cabinet inside your rig? No. Do you need an upper and lower air pathway leading to the outside? No.

Just as an example.. Lifeline's only mention, with regard to ventilation, is, "never install a Lifeline® AGM battery in a sealed or an airtight container."
Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #10

Carriage used to install 3 AGM batteries in a galvanized metal lined, sealed and unventilated compartment in their high end Royals International line.
The vent on AGM batteries is basically an explosion preventer in case of the charger failing.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Yarome...I entirely agree...no AGM vents regularly in a normal situation...but you can get into over charging situation even with undersized equipment with batt malfunctions/grid shorts & thermal runaway which is why ABYC demands ventilation. As you say ...nothing much is needed...just a way for the H to get out.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

I don't plan to put them in an airtight compartment. My plan is to put them in the storage area under the bed. It is about the size of a queen size bed and 13 inches deep.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I don't plan to put them in an airtight compartment. My plan is to put them in the storage area under the bed. It is about the size of a queen size bed and 13 inches deep.
You're golden, Darrell. There is MORE than enough air exchange for any H to dissipate, even under the worst conditions. I would stake your life on it.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

Are AGM compatible with lead acid if connected in a parallel or series use....?
Does the charging of each type of battery have to be done separate..?

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Are AGM compatible with lead acid if connected in a parallel or series use....?
Does the charging of each type of battery have to be done separate..?
With multiple battery configurations, it is best to use batteries of the same type, brand, and approximate age.

AGM's and lead acid batteries DO have different charging requirements.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #16

Absolutely, the batteries should match. Buy your AGMs together, and do not connect them with other batteries. In solar applications, most experts say to never connect a new AGM battery of the same type and brand with the old one. You can save the good old one, but it should be on a different bank.
It's complicated, but mixing can create a drain problem. Putting it under the bed is brilliant.
♥ AGM
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #17

Well I have violated all those rules on AGM batteries and have suffered no ill consequences.
I had 1 AGM mixed with 2 regular Interstate deep cycle batteries.
When I got rid of the Interstates and went with a 2nd Lifeline battery I added the new battery in parallel to the 1 year old battery.
I saved both Lifelines when I traded in the old Trailmanor and installed them on my new 2109S.
They seem to be holding up well.
We have boondocked for 5 days with them and not gone of the "Good" part of the battery gauge.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
Cyber Phrenologist

Putting the batteries under the bed is a good idea for batteries that must be routinely serviced. But AGM batteries need no service and generally last 10 years or better. So once the hassle of install is complete, easy access is not much of an issue.

My dual AGMs are still down in the cargo hold where the designers put the original battery. Since I haven't needed to touch them since 2008, I'd rather have that under bed storage available for other things.

JMHO, YMMV.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Putting the batteries under the bed is a good idea for batteries that must be routinely serviced. But AGM batteries need no service and generally last 10 years or better. So once the hassle of install is complete, easy access is not much of an issue.
X2. Every application will vary, but yes, they are pretty much "set'n'ferget".

For me, the original batteries were outside on the hitch. Moving to under bed storage was for multiple benefits. Mainly though it was to consolidate my power systems (solar controller, batteries, inverter/charger) in to a single location with minimal cable runs... thereby, increasing efficiency.

Of course, it was nice to get that additional weight further back off the hitch and closer to the axle's, and it's nice not to have $1200 worth of batteries in open sight just begging to be plucked.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Well I have violated all those rules on AGM batteries and have suffered no ill consequences.
They aren't really "rules". As I said, "it's best", but doesn't mean that you can't get away with it. You WILL get 12v power. The main issues are charging and discharging. Mixing wet cells and AGM's for instance... they both have different charging requirements, so while they WILL take a charge, you are more than likely overcharging your wet cells and undercharging your AGM repeatedly.

So while they WILL work to some degree, you are effectively killing their expected life prematurely and not getting full use of there capacity. Your battery bank is only as strong as your weakest cell.

Tags
battery