Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Yarome...I entirely agree...no AGM vents regularly in a normal situation...but you can get into over charging situation even with undersized equipment with batt malfunctions/grid shorts & thermal runaway which is why ABYC demands ventilation. As you say ...nothing much is needed...just a way for the H to get out.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

I don't plan to put them in an airtight compartment. My plan is to put them in the storage area under the bed. It is about the size of a queen size bed and 13 inches deep.

blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I don't plan to put them in an airtight compartment. My plan is to put them in the storage area under the bed. It is about the size of a queen size bed and 13 inches deep.
You're golden, Darrell. There is MORE than enough air exchange for any H to dissipate, even under the worst conditions. I would stake your life on it.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

Are AGM compatible with lead acid if connected in a parallel or series use....?
Does the charging of each type of battery have to be done separate..?

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Are AGM compatible with lead acid if connected in a parallel or series use....?
Does the charging of each type of battery have to be done separate..?
With multiple battery configurations, it is best to use batteries of the same type, brand, and approximate age.

AGM's and lead acid batteries DO have different charging requirements.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #16

Absolutely, the batteries should match. Buy your AGMs together, and do not connect them with other batteries. In solar applications, most experts say to never connect a new AGM battery of the same type and brand with the old one. You can save the good old one, but it should be on a different bank.
It's complicated, but mixing can create a drain problem. Putting it under the bed is brilliant.
♥ AGM
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #17

Well I have violated all those rules on AGM batteries and have suffered no ill consequences.
I had 1 AGM mixed with 2 regular Interstate deep cycle batteries.
When I got rid of the Interstates and went with a 2nd Lifeline battery I added the new battery in parallel to the 1 year old battery.
I saved both Lifelines when I traded in the old Trailmanor and installed them on my new 2109S.
They seem to be holding up well.
We have boondocked for 5 days with them and not gone of the "Good" part of the battery gauge.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
Cyber Phrenologist

Putting the batteries under the bed is a good idea for batteries that must be routinely serviced. But AGM batteries need no service and generally last 10 years or better. So once the hassle of install is complete, easy access is not much of an issue.

My dual AGMs are still down in the cargo hold where the designers put the original battery. Since I haven't needed to touch them since 2008, I'd rather have that under bed storage available for other things.

JMHO, YMMV.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Putting the batteries under the bed is a good idea for batteries that must be routinely serviced. But AGM batteries need no service and generally last 10 years or better. So once the hassle of install is complete, easy access is not much of an issue.
X2. Every application will vary, but yes, they are pretty much "set'n'ferget".

For me, the original batteries were outside on the hitch. Moving to under bed storage was for multiple benefits. Mainly though it was to consolidate my power systems (solar controller, batteries, inverter/charger) in to a single location with minimal cable runs... thereby, increasing efficiency.

Of course, it was nice to get that additional weight further back off the hitch and closer to the axle's, and it's nice not to have $1200 worth of batteries in open sight just begging to be plucked.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Well I have violated all those rules on AGM batteries and have suffered no ill consequences.
They aren't really "rules". As I said, "it's best", but doesn't mean that you can't get away with it. You WILL get 12v power. The main issues are charging and discharging. Mixing wet cells and AGM's for instance... they both have different charging requirements, so while they WILL take a charge, you are more than likely overcharging your wet cells and undercharging your AGM repeatedly.

So while they WILL work to some degree, you are effectively killing their expected life prematurely and not getting full use of there capacity. Your battery bank is only as strong as your weakest cell.

Tags
battery