Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
We were told the diamond package provided the tan exterior and nicer trim inside. No 50 amp service or second ac. We hung some black out drapes across the back windows. When we are parked with the hot sun hitting the back of the camper they really help keep the heat out so the one ac can keep up.
I ordered my Windjammer from the factory. I had to choose the Diamond Edition package and choose the 50A upgrade with 2nd AC as another separate option. It wasn't part of the Diamond Package.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #302

Been on the road for 9 months and have never seen another WJ on the road. Today on I-10 between Ft Stockton and San Antonio, TX, saw 2 of them, I don't think they were the same model as ours but one was a Diamond Edition. Still happy with ours but 2 new problems to report, the queen bed frame seems to have come loose from the slide wall and now and is at an angle, need to investigate more. Something plastic broke from under the big slide, need to investigate that also..

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #303

A short Spring Break to Branson, MO staying at Table Rock SP. Didn't see a Windjammer on this trip but a V-Cross 5th wheel was in the campground.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #304

Hi, I am going to head from Ontario to Corpus Christi next Nov. I will be hauling our 3008w with a 2017 gmc 2500 Denali duramax using a husky centerline sway centering hitch. I am considering to add a Tucson electronic sway control system to the trailer for added safety. $700 CDN. Any experiences with with sway on the windjammer series.
Thanks
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
Hi, I am going to head from Ontario to Corpus Christi next Nov. I will be hauling our 3008w with a 2017 gmc 2500 Denali duramax using a husky centerline sway centering hitch. I am considering to add a Tucson electronic sway control system to the trailer for added safety. $700 CDN. Any experiences with with sway on the windjammer series.
Thanks

We have a different model TT, Truck and Hitch but they are all similar, (see signature). I would bet you are fine with just the hitch, that is all we have and the sway is minimal. We just hit ~13000 miles in 9 months back and forth across the country, north and south, with no issues other than when one time I towed with empty tanks and could tell the difference, (still not a big deal but I could feel the difference). If the hitch is setup right, I would bet you are good to go. Hopefully someone with the exact setup can chime in. Having written all that, IMO what ever makes you feel better as far as safety goes, I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on that.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #306

Hi. We tow a 3025 Windjammer with a 3500 GMC using a Reese equalizer hitch. Just did 1500 miles in 2 days +. Sometimes I almost forget it's behind the unit. Straight as an arrow even in strong side and cross winds.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #307

Quote:
Thanks
Quite the trip you have planned. We pulled our 3001w Windjammer with a GMC 1500 5.3 down to Corpus in fall of 2014 and had no sway issues. We were using an Trekker hitch at that time but found later that it was not heavy enough. Changed to an Equalizer 14K hitch before we took a 6,000 mile trip to the west and northwest from Texas. Still no real issues through the mountains and up through passes. We only had issues in Kansas, but we had a 25-30 MPH crosswind for several hours. I wouldn't add the Tucson or change from the Centerline until you pull it for a while. IMHO you will be just fine, the 2500 Duramax is heavy enough to control some of the sway on its own.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #308

Hello

Hello All, I am David from Montana, just purchased a new leftover 2016 3001W, going to Iowa to pick up in a few weeks. The dealer said the WJ comes with the "forever warranty", I am wondering if anyone has had this included in their purchase and if it was useful. Seems it requires yearly servicing on 4 particular areas of WJ, about $150 dealer says. Also I arranged a with the dealer to throw in a Anderson equalizer hitch, I was leaning towards Blue Ox, but he talked me into this. I would like to hear from others on how their WJ tows down the road in windy situations, I am coming from a Hideout 23rks, I have towed it for a couple years with my 15 gmc 2500 hd duramax with no issues, I expect that will also be the case with longer WJ. I was thinking of a 5th wheel, but I have a snug top high rise topper on my gmc and didn't really want to be taking it on and off, plus with the shell on, I keep our 2 pups back there usually. The WJ will primarily be used at Ft. Peck lake , 20 minutes from home, plus we have storage building 3 miles from camping area, so when not in use, WJ will be enclosed in storage. But the rig will see plenty of Montana including the mountains out west where we like to spend a few weeks in the summer camping, I also plan to use it on a few bird hunts a couple hours away and also near Big Timber on a ranch I big game hunt. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Good Camping to all.
dwade68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #309

A forever warranty. This came up in another thread and I was interested. You must do your annual maintenance with the dealer at a cost of $150 - &200 to maintain the warranty. You must weigh the continued annual cost against the length of time you intend to own the camper. In six years you have paid approximately $900-$1200. If the hot water heater breaks down you paid that much for it. Not a good deal. But if an AC goes well maybe a better deal. You really want to find out how claims are handled. Also let's just say the RV dealership goes under or get bought out....will the warranty still be good? Tough decision. Good luck and congrats on the new windjammer!!!
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #310

On the other and more positive side...can $150 annually give you peace of mind? Maybe so.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #311

I'm guessing the maintenance needs to be done at the dealer where you bought the trailer. And maybe any needed repairs as well. Montana to Iowa ain't exactly around the corner.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #312

Quote:
Thanks
I have the VLite 30WIKSS (7700 lbs dry) and tow with a 1/2 ton F 150 4X4 supercrew. Light truck than yours but I sold my new Equalizer and bought a Propride 3P 1400. Absolute ZERO sway. Makes my little 1/2 ton tow feel like a dually...
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #313
MCTroy

We tow with an equalizer WDH but a heavier TV. Even in straight line winds during a thunder storm the trailer did great.
Not sure about the forever warranty. I agree about the concern on the dealership. What if something breaks miles from them? We are not handy with repairs- we usually make it worse! So we like a nationwide extended warranty. Any where we are we can get a repair done. We did get the second year warranty from forest river on our trailer and then went with Good Sam extended warranty. If you area God at repairs you could save the money and do most fixes yourself. Enjoy your WJ they are great trailers.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #314

Congratulations on your new WJ! First, make sure to register for the second year bumper to bumper factory warranty. Dealers don't necessarily mention this program and you must sign up within a short period after purchase. Secondly, we own a 2015 3006WK and absolutely love it. It also came with the "warranty forever" and the local selling dealership did sell out to a larger corporate dealership chain six months after I received our unit that doesn't offer the program. Luckily I got all my break in repairs done before the transition. Now back to the warranty forever, just as long as you take the unit to any dealership and perform the required inspections your good. I purchased our unit from a dealership 2 hours away and just take it around the corner for inspection. I feel it's worth it do to them checking and resealing the roof, checking the wheel bearings which should be repacked I believe every 2 years or 12k miles anyway, and cleaning/inspecting gas appliances. I do my own inspecting and resealing through the season per manual. I tow with an Equal-i-zer WD hitch and feel it's the best on the market. I hope this little bit of information helps and Happy camping.
wingfield4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #315

Congrats on the new WJ and happy camping!
Forever Warranty. Hum...interesting, and I agree with the others that it is gone if the dealer sells out or closes; something that happens frequently in today's world. Something else that no one has pointed out is how long will the dealer have your trailer to do annual inspections? If you leave it with them in the fall, it will not be in your covered storage during bad weather. If you take it to them in the spring, then you will be in line with about a hundred other campers wanting to get their RV ready for the summer camping season. I fix or have fixed many of the small items that happen to my RVs, because, first don't want to lose a weekend when I could go out and second, I don't want my rig sitting outside the the harsh Texas weather. Currently we are in the hail and wind season where the additional money I pay for covered storage is so worth it. I have an Equal-i-zer 14K hitch and it does an excellent job. I put the pads on the bar shelf which really makes it much quieter when turning. I don't have a comparison with the Anderson unit, but suggest you do some web surfing and see what you can find before committing to it.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #316

Thanks for all the replies. The dealer say's warranty service is at any rv dealer. He sold me the WJ with it already included in the price, wouldn't take any thing off of selling price if I didn't want warranty. I will be up front, for the leftover 16 I paid $30000, going to Iowa isn't that big a deal to me, my mother, brothers and other family live 2-3 hours from where I am picking up WJ.
dwade68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #317

We have a 2014 3065WA and really like all the space in it with the slides out. Makes for a comfortable living space. I plan on adding a good solar system and add more batteries to run the appliances. We picked it up last year. It wasn't previously sold and was in new condition. We are planning on doing a lot more camping this year.
I probably should change out the tires as well.
Also planning on adding some rear storage and moving the square bumper back a bit.
I did add another set of stabilizer Jacks near the center
Charlie, He doesn't know he is a dog
Peanut the cat
DonMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #318

Propane Tank Shelf

We pick up our new unit in two weeks. Can a current owner of a recent model confirm if the shelf for the Propane tanks is open under the tank or solid?

We got one of the TankCheck propane sensor systems that attach under the tank with magnet and need to determine if I will have to fashion something under the tank to 'catch' the sensor in case it falls while in transit.

Thanks
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #319

The tanks fit in a standard pan,the area is Open! Youroo!! Yes the pan is solid!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The tanks fit in a standard pan,the area is Open! Youroo!!
So, the Pan is solid but the compartment is open? That's what I interpret from your response.

Thanks
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer