Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #161

We haven't done the East/West travel, just North/South, so I can't really respond, however, I'm wondering what type of hitch you are using? We have an Equalizer Hitch and so far we are really pleased.

Deb

Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkirkland View Post
We are ready to trade our Windjammer for a 5th wheel. Traveled to Grand Canyon from PA on I40, up 89 to Utah, and back across I70 through Kansas. We are in Missouri now. We had some of the worst crosswinds traveling and sway was really bad because of wind. We had 22 mph wind gusts in Kansas and it was all we could do to keep the TT on the road even with brake controller set on 10. My husband had to drive with one hand on brake controller. When we travel north and south there are no issues. Does anyone else have this much trouble traveling East to West and then West to East? We have a 2016 3008W? We do love our Windjammer and it's very comfortable, but miserable getting to our destinations.
We just went from SF Bay to Washington DC and had no sway issues. Went through NE, KS and MO on the way because we wanted to go to St Louis. There were a few places where it was windy, not sure the speed of the wind though.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #163

We pulled our WJ 3001w across Kansas last year on I-70 and it was the worst driving in our 30 day 5,600 mile trip. Yes, side wind at up to 30 MPH and tight grip on the steering wheel all day. With 11 states covered that trip it was the only place we had issues, the rest were just small tugs here and there like normal. About the only place I saw something to break the wind out there was when a farmer had put up a new barbed wire fence.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #164

We have the equalizer hitch as well. I think Kansas was the worse with the sway. Someone else told me we should use the Reese dual cam hitch
Old 07-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #165

I really don't know, but I have read that some dealers have sold under sized Equalizer Hitches to individuals and after the fact the owner discovered the problem. I'm not saying that is the problem, but it could be something you could check into, just a suggestion.

Also, I know they can be a little tricky to set up correctly -- truck and trailer need to be as level as possible to get it right. Possibly some others with Equalizer Hitches will share their info.

Deb
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkirkland View Post
We have the equalizer hitch as well. I think Kansas was the worse with the sway. Someone else told me we should use the Reese dual cam hitch
We were sold a 1,000# Trekker hitch at the dealership. Later I couldn't figure why I couldn't get the truck level (1500 GMC at the time) and started looking at my hitch weight slips from the CAT scales. The hitch weight on the day we brought it home was 1075#; that was already overweight and we hadn't even gotten it home yet. I now run an Equalizer, 1400# and the sway control is very good. Current hitch weight ready to camp is right at 1200#. The specs said dry hitch weight was 880#

I would load up for camping and head to the CAT scales for some serious weight calculations. Just MHO...
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #167

We just crossed from North Carolina to Colorado across Missouri and Kansas with lots of wind and no sway problems at all. Went from a Reese dual cam to a equalizer 14k and have not had any tow issues. What is your tow vehicle? We have an F350 and it certainly helps in that it can handle the tongue weight and the payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #168

We towed our 3008W WJ east to west across South Dakota in some 30-35mph cross winds last year with no sway issues. We had a 12,000# Equalizer hitch on a Silverado 2500HD.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #169

We have had two flats since we started this trip. Seems like since we replaced 2 of the tires (on the same side) that ended up with a chunk out if them it's driven much better. Of course the wind wasn't anything like we've had but it has made a big difference. Will keep you posted after replacing the other side of tires. I don't understand why forest river puts these tires on when they are so crappy. We just turned 5000 miles on the trailer and folks shouldn't have to go buy new tires when they buy something brand new. I know I've read it before in the forum where you immediately went out and bought tires but didn't think we'd have to do it so soon. We're very comfortable when we are camped and love the interior so we'll just sit tight for now.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjam2 View Post
I really don't know, but I have read that some dealers have sold under sized Equalizer Hitches to individuals and after the fact the owner discovered the problem. I'm not saying that is the problem, but it could be something you could check into, just a suggestion.

Also, I know they can be a little tricky to set up correctly -- truck and trailer need to be as level as possible to get it right. Possibly some others with Equalizer Hitches will share their info.

Deb

X2 Recheck the cat scale numbers and the hitch, for proper adjustment and/or sufficient tension bars.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH

Tags
windjammer