Old 09-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
The middle picture shows the extensive sidewall scuffing that tireman said on another thread is a sure sign that it ran very low pressure or flat until destruction. Although we hear more complaints about the Chinese off-brands, this could happen to any brand so a TPMS is almost required on a trailer because you'll never feel a tire going down like you would on the vehicle you're driving and you'll almost never see it until it starts throwing chunks or sparks (as in your case). While you wouldn't have run over any rocks you saw, you never see the nail or screw that will puncture the tread - like the one I picked up in my TV's rear tire a few weeks ago in Michigan. Fortunately, that only caused a pound-a-day slow leak because it stayed stuck in and not a rapid deflation which could result if it gets spat out.

Sorry for your (material-only) loss. Pretty sure this is going to be an insurance claim and not warranty. Common for it to be upwards of $3000 since it ripped out the wiring and probably also damaged the underside of the slide.

Out of curiousity, on the 8289 is the kitchen slide wire bundle fairly close to the tire? On my 8282 the kitchen slide is on the other side and the bundle is about a foor behind the aft tire and folds toward the back. I hope if I ever lose a tire without advance warning from my TPMS that the gator doesn't grab the wiring bundle like that.
The tires were checked and inflated to the placard pressure (50 psi) prior to the day's trip. We stopped for lunch after two hours and the tires inspected again (I do this at every stop). We had traveled two more hours and were preparing to stop in 10 minutes for fuel and tire inspection when the incident happened. The tire scuffing you refer to is from mud at the previous campground site and damage to the tire as it disintegrated.

Note,: in the middle picture, the black tube about an inch from the top of the tire is the exterior LP line.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #62

The damage was on the dining room side. The slide bundle is located behind the rear tire and includes DC & AC power, speaker wires, TV cable and the exterior LP line. It appears to be bad placement for the bundle if tire damage occurs.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #63
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I don't think you will find many who agree with that statement.
And 99.9999% of the folks would agree with you Kenny.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #64

Later note: I am not implying that all Chinese tires are crap, but the OEM tires supplied by FR appear to be of questionable quality. I do not know if all of FR's products are sold with the same disregard for tire quality, but it appears that there are numerous incidents with this particular brand that warrants rethinking on FR's part.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And 99.9999% of the folks would agree with you Kenny.

👍🏻

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #66

The axles are 4K rated.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #67

The tires were originally nitrogen filled, although they have been topped of with air (79% nitrogen). I drive at 60mph, specifically because of the C load rating on the tires.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Using nitrogen and keeping speed down negates the need for Tire Monitor systems.
Respectfully, Brian, I disagree?

Checking before you start rolling will tell you nothing about what happens to your tires 3 feet after you get underway. Similarly, checking after you stop will only tell you that you managed to avoid any problems up to that planned stop (statistics say you are very unlikely to have a problem start to occur just before a planned stop). You won't know anything about what's happening underway - which is by definition where all road hazards occur.

Now if you have a policy of having your DW get out and run alongside at 60mph checking your tires constantly, I take it all back.

Notice how I didn't say that the bit about nitrogen is B.S. too?

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post

Notice how I didn't say that the bit about nitrogen is B.S. too?

Love it.

I'll say it.
Nitrogen is bs.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #70
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I would disagree. One of our fine OEM Trail Express tires had a 360 degree tread separation while driving on the highway and I had absolutely no idea it happened - but for the guy that pulled up along side us waving his hat out the window. I cannot see the curb side tires in the mirror and felt absolutely no difference in the ride. I was only 15 miles from the house, but I have no idea how long I was driving with a flat.

Replaced the OEM LR C junk with LR D's and bought a TST. No way will I ever tow with out a TPMS. Got really lucky once - the tread completely separated, but did not break across the width, so the entire tread was wrapped around the axle and caused no damage to the trailer. No plans to push my luck in the future.
KMP44,
I am kind of keeping track of the amount of time on failed OEM tires.
How long had yours been on? (timewise - mileage really isn't important)

I'm thinking of starting a "survey thread" for OEM failures.
Simply to give us all an idea of how quickly these OEM's become a problem.

1. Make of tire
2. Tire size (including load range)
3. Published rig weight (from yellow sticker)
4. Age of tire(s) when failed
5. What air pressure you run (be truthful!)
6. Did a TPMS help detect a problem before failure (yes/no)
7. What tire size/brand you selected as a replacement.

Any other info we should be gathering?
Let me know and I'll start a thread.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire