Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post

Checking before you start rolling will tell you nothing about what happens to your tires 3 feet after you get underway. Similarly, checking after you stop will only tell you that you managed to avoid any problems up to that planned stop (statistics say you are very unlikely to have a problem start to occur just before a planned stop). You won't know anything about what's happening underway - which is by definition where all road hazards occur.

Now if you have a policy of having your DW get out and run alongside at 60mph checking your tires constantly, I take it all back.

Notice how I didn't say that the bit about nitrogen is B.S. too?

Dave,

Explained my experience as I have found with Nitogen. Many years of no tire monitors all of a sudden it is a must have situation. The very dealer we bought our trailers from thinks they are waste of money when I asked for a opinion. I see many a thread where people say they the pressure goes up on the TPMS then the tire separates and sudden pressure loss, they stop and change the tire all blown up. There are maybe 3-5% of all trailer owners have TPMS installed. Road Hazard can happen and kill a tire(s) in a moment. Checking for damage, scraps or tread separation is a visual thing and part of a circle check (I hold a CDL) and still apply the same rules to RVing.

If this was a major safety issue the NHTSA and Transport Canada would demand trailer manufacturers install such.

This is the same as running with propane turned on, using awning poles if you desire ( I choose not too), Xchocks (I do also use rubber chocks ) or a block of firewood to stop the trailer from rolling. Each person makes their choices to mitigate a risk or accepts the risks or in this case the likelihood of a tire failure some day.

There is always two stories when a tire fails. The true story and the actual story. Running tires above published weight ratings, under-inflated, damage un-detected, driving at above speed ratings, dry rot or many cases poor rubber compounds and quality control at manufacturers source.

When the wheel supply companies offer a internal TPMS at a reasonable cost I will buy one. To date I have not seen that as an option.

Regards Brian

Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
KMP44,
I am kind of keeping track of the amount of time on failed OEM tires.
How long had yours been on? (timewise - mileage really isn't important)

I'm thinking of starting a "survey thread" for OEM failures.
Simply to give us all an idea of how quickly these OEM's become a problem.

1. Make of tire
2. Tire size (including load range)
3. Published rig weight (from yellow sticker)
4. Age of tire(s) when failed
5. What air pressure you run (be truthful!)
6. Did a TPMS help detect a problem before failure (yes/no)
7. What tire size/brand you selected as a replacement.

Any other info we should be gathering?
Let me know and I'll start a thread.
This would a excellent source of tracking what really happens. I would also add scaled weight ready to travel,tongue or pin weight, speed you travel at as well.

Thank you 5 picker.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So, what are you going to do?
Hopefully replace the tires ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Can I assume that only Chinese manufactured tires will blow?
No, most tires are produced in China these days - but quality control and manufacturing requirements differ - for Goodyear and Maxxis the QC requirements are much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroth View Post
Trail Express "Palmer Tomins" ST 225/75R15, load C
When you replace them bump up a load rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBINFV View Post
We also had a flat on our 8281 WS on Sunday. Tires are the Power Tommy's as well. Had a local tire shop replace all 4 tires and upgraded them to 10 ply load range E. Tire guy was amazed that the original tires were load range C and only 6 ply.
I had no idea that the tire was flat, another driver pointed it out. It was hot 101 degrees and the road surface was awful. Never went over 60 mph.
This is the best tstament to getting a TPMS!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #74

Tpms is mandated on passenger cars and trucks.....

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Tpms is mandated on passenger cars and trucks.....

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Kenny, Supports my statements that if deemed necessary should be. It would provide a selling feature should FR as a company place this as a safety feature much like a smoke or LP detector (CSA or UL requirement)

Brian
Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #76

My TPMS saved me while returning home from Nashville. I didn't have any alarms go off, however I noticed that one of my tires was running about five degrees warmer than the others. It was time for fuel so during the stop I used my temperature gun and found one hub was extremely hot. Three of them were at 102 to 105 and the other was 315. It turned out to be a broken brake spring which bound everything creating a tremendous amount of friction. The dealer replaced everything under warranty including bearings. The moral to this story is the TPMS just might have saved me from a catastrophic incident because I may have not realized there was an issue until some parts started flying off my unit.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #77

You can buy internal valve-stem TPMS however I haven't heard of any vehicle that can be programmed to listen for any more than 4.

When I bought snow tires for my GM car with rim-internal TPMS, I bought 4 GM-compatible at NAPA and had them installed with the tires. Didn't want to listen to the car complaining that it couldn't hear any of the sensors twice a year. Rather than doing the air-up/down training method I bought one of the gizmos from TireRack that, after putting the car in learn-mode, you walk around from tire to tire pressing a button that makes the sensor squawk its id.

If they would make a TV that could switch between 4 and 8 sensor mode as easily as the TST, I'd buy that.

The passenger car tire pressure monitoring was mandated after the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle. If the issue passes that kind of threshold with RVs (e.g. if everybody keeps complaining to NHTSA about their China bombs), watch for it there too. Doesn't always have to be a direct tire pressure sensor... I had a 1999 Buick Regal GS where they did it by watching the relative rotation speeds (and thus diameter) using the ABS sensors.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #78
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBINFV View Post
We also had a flat on our 8281 WS on Sunday. Tires are the Power Tommy's as well. Had a local tire shop replace all 4 tires and upgraded them to 10 ply load range E. Tire guy was amazed that the original tires were load range C and only 6 ply.
I had no idea that the tire was flat, another driver pointed it out. It was hot 101 degrees and the road surface was awful. Never went over 60 mph.
DNBIFV,

It's been pointed out here (and other threads), if you had LRC tires you can safely move to LRD without jeopardizing the OEM rim. (by inflating the tire from 50 psi (LRC) to 65 psi (LRD)

You mentioned you installed LRE tires. Is your rim certified for 80psi?
If not, are you only inflating to 65psi?

I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand what folks out there are doing and why. I have read many, many posts on tires that say moving to a LRE tire and only inflating to 65 psi (because of wheel restrictions) gains you nothing over a LRD.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I would disagree. One of our fine OEM Trail Express tires had a 360 degree tread separation while driving on the highway and I had absolutely no idea it happened - but for the guy that pulled up along side us waving his hat out the window. I cannot see the curb side tires in the mirror and felt absolutely no difference in the ride. I was only 15 miles from the house, but I have no idea how long I was driving with a flat.

Replaced the OEM LR C junk with LR D's and bought a TST. No way will I ever tow with out a TPMS. Got really lucky once - the tread completely separated, but did not break across the width, so the entire tread was wrapped around the axle and caused no damage to the trailer. No plans to push my luck in the future.
That is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. Had no idea the rear curb tire blew until another driver let me know. Same as you, tire split from the sidewalls and was dragging on the axle. If it had to happen I'm glad it happened that way with no damage. Had Trail Express and replaced with GY Marathon ST205-R75C. No 'D' for 14's. Going to get TST.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #80

To reuse a phrase: "To TPMS or not to TPMS, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler blah, blah, blah..." well, you get the idea.

To each, his or her own - that's why they call it free will!

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire