Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
If it had to happen I'm glad it happened that way with no damage. Had Trail Express and replaced with GY Marathon ST205-R75C. No 'D' for 14's. Going to get TST.
Wow - that is exactly the same scenario. I went with Kumho 857's in a 195R14C. They are euro-metric size, but the 195 was almost exactly the same diameter as the original LR C tires. Kumho calls them ST's, but they say LT on the sidewall and I believe the primary use in Europe is vans and small trucks. Speed rating is 99mph - not that I ever intend to try that. 65 is plenty fast enough for me. After much debate and seeking advise at 2 tire shops, I decided to keep the pressure at 50 psi with the LR D tires. Per the scale, the loads were under the rating for the old tires, so I didn't need more capacity to be within specs. And I really like the way the trailer rides (after all, we were happily cruising along on 3 tires), so I didn't want to stiffen it up too much. Happy so far, and the 8 ply tire from a name brand company should be much more durable than the no-name OEM junk.
If I hadn't found those, I certainly would have gone GY Marathon or Maxxis. And the TST is really nice. Worth it just to know I'm not towing on 3 tires even if it can't prevent or predict a blowout!

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
You can buy internal valve-stem TPMS however I haven't heard of any vehicle that can be programmed to listen for any more than 4.

When I bought snow tires for my GM car with rim-internal TPMS, I bought 4 GM-compatible at NAPA and had them installed with the tires. Didn't want to listen to the car complaining that it couldn't hear any of the sensors twice a year. Rather than doing the air-up/down training method I bought one of the gizmos from TireRack that, after putting the car in learn-mode, you walk around from tire to tire pressing a button that makes the sensor squawk its id.

If they would make a TV that could switch between 4 and 8 sensor mode as easily as the TST, I'd buy that.
Looks like TSTTruck (who make the TST507) have actually started supplying "internal" TPMS sensors as an option with the TST507, tho' it looks like the transmitter part of the sensor still protrudes from the rim, just a lot less than the ones that attach to the existing valve-stem.
Unfortunately they're quite a bit more expensive than their flow-through sensors.
A TST507 with 8 sensors (4 for my truck, 4 for the 5th wheel), can be had for $400, with the "internal" sensors that jumps to $632.

Info here:-
Truck System Technologies - TST 507 Internal Tire Pressure Kit

Old 09-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #83
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Tpms is mandated on passenger cars and trucks.....
Only in the US, not in Canada or anywhere else as best my know-how can recollect. The NHTSA regulation re TPMS was outfall from the Firestone debacle, which was much less Firestone's fault as it was consumer's propensity to drive on under inflated tires at near warp factor speeds.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #84

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Marathons------------

When my Rockwood fifthwheel was picked from the dealer, I drove 927 miles back to Florida. Installed Marathons "D" tires as soon as I got home.
I now have 26000 miles on the Marathons. At 22000 mile on the tires, The right rear tire belt broke down, replaced it in Goshen @ the 2014 rally. Then at 24000 (approx.) the left front tire belt broke down, replaced it at this years (2015) rally in Goshen. I always run max tire PSI in the tires. keep them covered while not being used. Neither tire that went bad blew out but was caught just at the right time by using a INFRARED temp handheld checker. At every gas stop & rest stop I always walk around the camper check each tire temp. The two Marathons that failed were running
15° to 20° hotter than the other tires. The face of the tire tread instead of being flat across the tread became round and the tire was larger in diameter than the good tires.

So, if you are using Good Year Marathons load range "D" with approximately 20000 miles on the tires, start watching the tires closely
for any change in temp or shape.

The handheld Infrared temp checker can be purchased very reasonably at Harbor Freight.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #85

Better Speed Rating on Trailer Tires

I've had more blowouts on trailers than I can count. Trailer tires are rated at 65 mph, and that should be illegal. I put car tires on the bass boat. Load range D tires on the family boat, and utility trailer. My third and fourth trip with my '09 Roo I had blowouts on the right side. I heard the first one, and the second one, someone pointed out to me. I finally found Taskmaster tires at eTrailer.com that are rated load range D and 81 mph. These are 14" tires, but they make them in 15" and 16" too. If you're still buying 65 mph tires, now that someone makes higher rated tires, you're not paying attention. I had 10 year old tires on my truck, and 40,000 miles with no flats. No excuse for trailer flats. As consumers, we need to insist on better tires, by purchasing tires that are better.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #86
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
When my Rockwood fifthwheel was picked from the dealer, I drove 927 miles back to Florida. Installed Marathons "D" tires as soon as I got home.
I now have 26000 miles on the Marathons. At 22000 mile on the tires, The right rear tire belt broke down, replaced it in Goshen @ the 2014 rally. Then at 24000 (approx.) the left front tire belt broke down, replaced it at this years (2015) rally in Goshen. I always run max tire PSI in the tires. keep them covered while not being used. Neither tire that went bad blew out but was caught just at the right time by using a INFRARED temp handheld checker. At every gas stop & rest stop I always walk around the camper check each tire temp. The two Marathons that failed were running
15° to 20° hotter than the other tires. The face of the tire tread instead of being flat across the tread became round and the tire was larger in diameter than the good tires.

So, if you are using Good Year Marathons load range "D" with approximately 20000 miles on the tires, start watching the tires closely

The handheld Infrared temp checker can be purchased very reasonably at Harbor Freight.
A TST TPMS system would have shown the temperature elevating.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post

All 4 of my Marathons did this after only 2.5 years and 6000 miles!

Tags
tire