Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Our tanks look like the attached photo.

The smaller inlet on the top of the tank is the vent.
The larger one on the top of the tank is the inlet from the toilet.

The sensors are on the larger face next to the dump valve outlet.

The tank with the white hose (turbo flush) is the black tank. The one on the left is the gray water tank.

Hope that helps.
Blue Eyes : 3" ABS Drain on the black tank. It sure looks like that tank is close to 5" so the possibilty of the pipe being too far inside the tank is eliminated. You stated that you measured down until you reached the bottom of the tank and then pulled up to the pipe 5" so the vent is not clogged. The odor isn't present when you remove the cap. Does it look like the pipe gets closed off once the cap is put back in place? If you're at the trailer try it without the cap for a day or two. You may need to trim the pipe on the roof or replace the cap with a Cyclone type cap. It may help the situation.

Name:   camco%20cyclone.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  20.6 KB

herk7769 thanks for the picture. It really helps to see what type of tank we're talking about.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Well, I am still not sure what type tank we are talking about!

This is a long thread and we still don't know the model number or type of vehicle.

The discussion started out fairly generic, but now we are getting pretty specific (as well as MODEL specific).

There is another thread here somewhere that goes into the flushing process in far more detail than we have attempted here.

If the tank will not DRAIN completely; there is more than a poo problem. If you look at replacement tanks they ALL have sloped bottoms to the low point drain. Either the camper is not level or something is BLOCKING the drain valve preventing it from emptying (or opening) completely.
Could someone have dropped a small towel or pad into the bowl?

This is a MUCH different issue than the tank INDICATING it is "not empty". Blueeyes stated she sees WATER in the tank after she dumps empty. This seems to indicate her hopper is straight plumbed into the tank.

FYI - My down pipe from the hopper has 2 45 bends in it and I can't see inside the tank from the hopper valve.

If it is an indicator problem I will post the troubleshooting links for that system. However, since it "smells" I tend to think this is a blockage issue.

Fishing around with a coat hanger made into a "hook" might be in order.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #23

When you pulled the tape out of the vent was the end dirty like it had been in a black tank?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
When you pulled the tape out of the vent was the end dirty like it had been in a black tank?
Another good point. There is more than one vent.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #25

I am sorry that I forgot to post the model its an 8296SS and I did contact the manufacture in the beginning regarding the tank not emptying completely and he told me to use something in the tank that was an enzyme base.(rv trine) He said that it isnt a problem if the tank doesnt empty out completely.
When we pulled the tape out of the vent, it had water on it. If there is more than one vent, are they joined together before they come out of the roof, cause this is the only vent that is over the bathroom.
We have an electric fan on the vent pipe so the cap being to close and closing things off isnt an issue.
We bought this trailer used and there isnt much info about it left by the previous owner..I will call FR and find out what the specks are on the tank, if the vent pipe is a straight shot to the black tank and ask again why it never completely drains.Maybe a different tech,,,maybe a difference answer..
We have tried different leveling methods as suggested, the trailer is level, someone told us to lean it to the outlet side a bit, but when we do that, the doors dont close properly.
thank all of you for your help I will keep all your posted if and when I get the situation resolved,,
Also, thank you herk 7769 for the photos, it makes things alot easier when you can see it..
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #26

if I get messing around in there with any instrument, I am afraid that I will get something stuck and then really have a mess...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
if I get messing around in there with any instrument, I am afraid that I will get something stuck and then really have a mess...
I understand totally.

The photo was of a 5th wheel under construction and indicates that my tanks slope from front to rear even though the sewer outlet is on the driver's side of the camper. Tilting the camper to either side will guarrantee the tank will not drain empty since water will be trapped at the low point corner.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #28

I would get a tank sprayer that you stick down the toilet and spray the walls of the tank. You may have some "stuff" stuck to a wall that is not flushing out. Walmart and any RV Dealer have them, they are less than $10. It's worth a try.

2006 Rockwood 8318SS
Hemlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I understand totally.

The photo was of a 5th wheel under construction and indicates that my tanks slope from front to rear even though the sewer outlet is on the driver's side of the camper. Tilting the camper to either side will guarrantee the tank will not drain empty since water will be trapped at the low point corner.
Lou, do you have any more pics of the chassis at that point in the build? It almost looks as if the bottom of the tank has a slight V shape in it, which would help facilitate the waste draining to the rear low collection point, and if this were true there should never be anything left in the tank after a proper dump. (no pun intended)l
And if there is not a shallow V there really should be!!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #30

When I was a kid my parents had this exact same problem on the new Foxfire that they purchased for our seasonsal site. After replacing all the traps and a number of other things the dealer discovered that the vent pipe was not connected to the tank and had come off inside the wall. This could be your problem since you are not smelling the stench coming from the vent. I would try dumping some water down the vent and verify that it comes out the tank.

Tags
black tank, rockwood