Black Tank 1 pictures from travel photos on webshots
Black tank with heater pad and good shot of sensors

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #32

Dumb question....I am having similar problems with smell in my permanently parked 2011 392 QBBS Lodge. After reading this and some other strings I can see a number of "errors" on my part. My question is relative to the cap on the vent pipes. My caps will not "pull " off. The appear to have a glob of silicone on each side of the top of the cap? Would this silicone be covering a screw? How do you get the cap off????

Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by es335 View Post
Dumb question....I am having similar problems with smell in my permanently parked 2011 392 QBBS Lodge. After reading this and some other strings I can see a number of "errors" on my part. My question is relative to the cap on the vent pipes. My caps will not "pull " off. The appear to have a glob of silicone on each side of the top of the cap? Would this silicone be covering a screw? How do you get the cap off????
there is a screw under the silicone.

use this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Digest-it.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	3477  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

He means use that in the tank, not to find the screw holding the vent cap.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #35

If I read this right you said that when you opened up the smell in the bathroom was bad. Does this mean you had not been in the camper for a week or two or three? If that is the case...then it is simple, as the poster back a couple of pages said...the P-Trap dried out on the bathroom sink...therefore allowing the odors in. (Remember, most Forest River products have the bathroom sink going into the black tank.)
Is this the only time you have smelled the odor...or is it a recurring thing?
As to the tank itself, they all drain to the bottom as they are either V-Shaped or if two tanks are side by side they both go down into a V-Shape.
The reason you only have 5 inches from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the vent is because of the V-Shape, the tank is higher toward the outside walls.
If I read the post correctly, is does not drain out all of the capacity. If that is the case then the are probably solids that did not get out of the tank and have simply built up over time. I am only getting 21 to 22 gallons out of my 30 gallon tank. I am going to try the RV-Digest It the post above recommended next weekend...will post the results in another thread.
Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #36

Just a suggestion here as I have had issues duming tanks at the odd campground where the ground seems to have a slope away from the dump station resulting in the tanks not completely draining. I just recently bought a HydroFlush which is a clear 45 degree elbow with a hose connector on it. You connect it to the drain on your tank, then connect your dump hose to that and a water hose as well. after it stops draining you turn on the hose which shoots water to the back of the tank. When you turn the water off you can see the waste coming back out. I was absolutely amazed how much crap (literally) came out. After quite a few flushes I had nice clean water coming out.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #37

Jack
please let me know what happens when you use the rv digest, I have also purchase this product and will try it in the tank when we return to our site this weekend,
I was not aware that the sink sometimes is plumbed into the black tank, would like to know for sure if that is the case.. As far as the smell goes, we get the smell very strongly when we open up after being gone for a week, however, we continue to get it when flushing also. The first thing that I do when I open up, is to run alot of water through the lines before I do anything, due to smelly water at our campsite,,so if the traps were dry, would I still have the smell? I run the water before I ever flush?
I am wondering about the pipe possibly being disconnected as suggested by hoffkm, being there is no smell coming from the vent.
One thing we know for sure,,,the tank is not emptying out completely, I have the wand that goes into the tank that spins around and have no success, I will try the hydro flush also suggested,
when we measured the water in the tank after being pumped, there was still a few inches remaining, I dont know how many gallons that would actually be, however, I fill it must be quite a bit. The trailer was a year old when we purchased it, and the problem must have been there from the previous owners. It is just so frustrating,,I worry about the winter, we do pour alot of antifreeze into the tank because of the lack of drainage,
keep the suggestions coming, I will try it all..
guess my question still is,,,should this tank drain completely,,,have read previous threads that folks have called FR and were told that some models just dont drain out 100%...
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'ray View Post
Just a suggestion here as I have had issues duming tanks at the odd campground where the ground seems to have a slope away from the dump station resulting in the tanks not completely draining.
I've been wondering about this suggestion for a couple of days:

Wouldn't it help in a case like this to use a leveling board under the wheels opposite the tank outlets? This could empty reduce the amount of liquid below the outlet?
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Wouldn't it help in a case like this to use a leveling board under the wheels opposite the tank outlets? This could empty reduce the amount of liquid below the outlet?
That is exactly what I do, especially when winterizing or if I am not going to be using the camper for awhile.

My black tank has the drain coming out in the middle of the back of the tank, and my gray tank drain comes out of the curbside front. I will block the rear tires of my TV to raise the trailer tongue so my black tank drains completely, and then block the trailer tires (more on the street side) to dump my gray tank. This seems to be the only way to completely drain both tanks. Done on level ground, I still have an inch or so of water in my black tank after draining, which is normally not a problem between camping trips.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
there is a screw under the silicone.

use this:
correct, use the digest it in the tank!

The vent cover has screw under the glob of sealant, you will need to remove the screw to get the cover off.

Tags
black tank, rockwood