Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Owner/Operator

Question Another Converter Question

I've searched in this section of the forum on "converter" and read the threads. I still have some objective and subjective questions regarding the converter, specifically in the 8289WS

Nowhere (that I could find) in the Rockwood literature does it state what converter is used in the RV. Progressive Dynamics states that Forest River is changing to their PD4560 combined Power Center/Converter, but I don't think that the Rockwood line is one of the models.

From reading the threads, it appears that there will be a WFCO converter in the 8289WS. The size (amperage rating) is one of the questions that I have.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the WFCO converter, and have had much better luck with the Progressive Dynamics series, particularly the PD9260C with the Charge Wizard technology. Whether or not I change out the converter when I install the AGM batteries (three D31Ts) will depend on the answers I get to this post.

Here are my specific questions:

1. What model converter is normally in the 8289WS (realizing that the factory might change at any time)?

2. What kind of success/failure/experience have people had with the OEM converter?

3. Will the OEM converter effectively charge the AGM type batteries without degrading their longevity, specifically the Optima Yellow Top?

Again, any input appreciated.

RodeoGeorge

Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
I've searched in this section of the forum on "converter" and read the threads. I still have some objective and subjective questions regarding the converter, specifically in the 8289WS

Nowhere (that I could find) in the Rockwood literature does it state what converter is used in the RV. Progressive Dynamics states that Forest River is changing to their PD4560 combined Power Center/Converter, but I don't think that the Rockwood line is one of the models.

From reading the threads, it appears that there will be a WFCO converter in the 8289WS. The size (amperage rating) is one of the questions that I have.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the WFCO converter, and have had much better luck with the Progressive Dynamics series, particularly the PD9260C with the Charge Wizard technology. Whether or not I change out the converter when I install the AGM batteries (three D31Ts) will depend on the answers I get to this post.

Here are my specific questions:

1. What model converter is normally in the 8289WS (realizing that the factory might change at any time)?

2. What kind of success/failure/experience have people had with the OEM converter?

3. Will the OEM converter effectively charge the AGM type batteries without degrading their longevity, specifically the Optima Yellow Top?

Again, any input appreciated.

RodeoGeorge
1) normally wfco

2) expect failure at the least opportune time

3 if its a three stage yes

Turbs

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

My WFCO 8900 is 55 amps of DC power conversion.

My WFCO will be 4 years old in June. Never a problem.

The yellow top is a whole nother thread.
Short answer, IMO, a waste of money.
TINY capacity compared to other solutions of similar cost.
Only (I do mean that) advantage is maintenance free.
Optima battery

what will I gain?

battery ?'s

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Thanks Turb & Lou

After all my consternation and calculation, I'll probably just add a second or third Interstate. I do not do a lot of dry camping, but will probably add a single solar panel (already have the controller) when looking for something to occupy my time.

I'll also check the exact model of converter that is in the unit, and change out if it is not at least a three stage.

Shoot, the money saved on the Optimas will just about pay for the solar panel.

Thanks again all.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
Thanks Turb & Lou

After all my consternation and calculation, I'll probably just add a second or third Interstate. I do not do a lot of dry camping, but will probably add a single solar panel (already have the controller) when looking for something to occupy my time.

I'll also check the exact model of converter that is in the unit, and change out if it is not at least a three stage.

Shoot, the money saved on the Optimas will just about pay for the solar panel.

Thanks again all.

RodeoGeorge
George as lou said his is 4 years old with no issues.
I had one belly up at less then 2 years and I've seen less as well as 6 7 and 8 year old ones.
Point is I've yet to see someone complain about a progressive dynamics or heard of a short term failure from them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Turbs
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Typical for any electronics. The term "infant mortality" applies to most electronics. If it makes it through the first 30 days, it will normally last a long time.

24 years in the Marine Corps in electronics, and 10 years at Hughes Aircraft as a senior development engineer, and in both cases "testing" was paramount.

Now I'm much more fortunate, with people like Turb and Lou to do the development and testing. I can just ride on their backs, and contribute when I can.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also the "new" pd converters "can" run completely without a battery if needed