Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Antenna upgrades

My 2005 8283SS has a Winegaurd amplified antenna (Bat Wing). I bought the digital add-on for digital reception but was not able to install it. Forest River mounted my antenna on an angle to fall between the air conditioner and the refrigerator vent cover. By adding this digital conversion, it hits the refrigerator vent.

Anybody have any experience with the new replacement antenna heads such as Jack's or others?

This Winegaurd doesn't seem to be as good as they use to be. I had one on our old 5er and it pulled in twice the signal as this one does. Could that be the difference between a aluminum roof and a rubber one?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I understand that you can trim the Wingman to fit. Not quite as effective, but it will still boost the signal.

I don't think the Wingman is actually a digital converter.....it just helps pull in digital channels.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

By the time I trim the Wingman to fit, I would end up with one element left. Waste of money. No it is not a converter. It is a plane that gives the antenna more area to capture the signal. Kind of turns it from a VHF to more of a UHF antenna.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

I had the Jack antenna installed a few months ago. So far it does good enough for me.
I camped along with my brother last September. His batwing with the wingman attached pulled in 2 or 3 more stations than I did.
Even though the Jack is considered a fixed antenna, if a station's reception is a little broken up you can turn the antenna to get a better signal.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

I too had the same issue with the wingman not clearing and purchased the Jack and am happy with the reception I get from it. Better than the old normal Winegard.
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #6

Aluminum roof could be an issue. I was reading some articles before I installed my home outside antenna and they said that a metal roof will decrease the signal if specially you use a roof mounted antenna close to the roof.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #7

shaw direct or bell express???

We just bought a new rockwood this week and are debating which satillte system to put on it. I think we are steering more towards the whineguard dome carry out system. We are from Manitoba Canada and were told that the shaw direct may not work in the southern states. Is this true? Has anyone with a dome carry out tried it?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Aluminum roof could be an issue. I was reading some articles before I installed my home outside antenna and they said that a metal roof will decrease the signal if specially you use a roof mounted antenna close to the roof.
I actually had much better reception with my old 5er that had a metal roof. My antenna was also closer to the roof. I am thinking the metal roof gave the antenna a greater ground plane to bounce the signal back to the antenna.

Having the new trailer sitting next to our old trailer before selling it. I got several more stations on the old trailer.

That is why I am thinking the metal roofs help the signal.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalagal View Post
We just bought a new rockwood this week and are debating which satillte system to put on it. I think we are steering more towards the whineguard dome carry out system. We are from Manitoba Canada and were told that the shaw direct may not work in the southern states. Is this true? Has anyone with a dome carry out tried it?
I'm not sure what brand satellite we had but found out quickly that camping under trees rendered the satellite useless. Satellites require unrestricted view of the South Western sky if your in the upper Americas.

If I were to buy another satellite again, I would just get a dish from source provider and about 100 ft. of cable. Set it up on a tripod and use a signal meter to capture the signal. That way I could move the dish out away from under the trees and still have my trailer in the shade.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

shaw direct

The one we have been looking at is a carry out by wineguard. It has a 50ft. cord and you can move it around. It is a bit pricy, 2,000.00 however, as oyu say you can move it around. We want to get one that automatically find the satillite as we have experienced how hard it is to try and do it manually! Am just concerned that in the southern USA we would not get a signal from Shaw direct as we were told the carry out may be small to receive the signal........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregad View Post
I'm not sure what brand satellite we had but found out quickly that camping under trees rendered the satellite useless. Satellites require unrestricted view of the South Western sky if your in the upper Americas.

If I were to buy another satellite again, I would just get a dish from source provider and about 100 ft. of cable. Set it up on a tripod and use a signal meter to capture the signal. That way I could move the dish out away from under the trees and still have my trailer in the shade.

Tags
antenna