Old 08-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #21

We talked with the factory on a visit/tour about the Load Range C tires just being barely adequate. Their response was that the LR C tires were within specification, and to include LR D tires would encourage the customer to overload other components of the trailer.

We lost 3 LR C tires in the first 5,000 miles, thankfully no blowouts. The spare lost air due to sidewall pinholes. A second tire would continually loose air. And the third tire developed a significant sidewall bulge.

The factory replaced all three, two with LR D. I replaced all rolling tires with new Marathons LR D and saved one of the OEM LR D tires for the spare.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #22

With FR ... Cheap Easy Sloppy trumps Safety

This is yet another in a loooong line for examples.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #23

Replaced my Duro tires with 18.5 k miles and 5 years old from C to D due to comments on this forum. Did email Duro about speed concerns on trailer tires. This is response I got from Duro. Go figure! "All of our radial trailer tires have a "N" speed rating which equates to 87 miles per hour. That does not mean we think you should drive your trailer at maximum speed all the time! Also, moving to a load range "D" does not increase the speed rating, only the carrying ". Confident pulling at 67 mph even on the crappy IN roads.
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #24

We've only used our 2016 8281WS Rockwood Ultra lite once and my husband did the figuring like you did. Too much weight on those low grade tires. We took it this week (only used once) and got NEW load range E tires on it. Feel much more comfortable now. We believe that FR only puts tires on their RV's that get them from the manufacture destination to the retail destination.....PERIOD
Old 08-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Mine are rated for 75mph (Load Range C):

Brand/Model: Constancy LY188
Size: ST205/75R14
Load Range: C
Speed Rating: “L” (75mph/120kmp Max)
DOT: 7BAY AT5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Trailer tires rated for 70+ MPH. Hmmm...

Having a hard time getting warm and fuzzy about that.
I have the Constancy Load range D tires with a speed rating of L. I typically drive 65-68mph. I spoke with the Westlake tire rep at the rally. Westlake manufactures constancy tires. When asked about the speed rating of 75mph stamped on the sidewall he said they were actually only rated to 72 mph. He had no explanation for the 3 mph inconsistency there. Makes one wonder doesn't it?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #26

Last November, I had a slow leak in one of my tires. Stopped by a Goodyear truck centre in Texarkana. They looked at my tire and showed me cracks along the sidewall of the tire and showed me that the other tire also had cracks. They advised me that it was unsafe to travel on these tires and as they were a truck centre and only carried large tires, they sent me to Discount Tire just down the road. Long story short, they concurred with Goodyear but also found that my two other tires had stretch marks and that all four tires needed to be replaced. Called Rockwood (Chris Hollowell) and was told to bring it to an authorized service centre (60 miles away) and they would replace my tires. When advised that the tires were unsafe to drive on Rockwood authorized $75 per tire as that is what they pay their service centre. On the recommendation of Discount, they installed 10 ply steel belted radial trailer tires load range E. Took pictures of the old tires (they were dated Dec 13) and sent them, along with receipt for new tires, to Rockwood and got a cheques for $300. They were very good about it and did not give me any hassles.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #27

well, emailed the dealer to see what was going on with the trailer. He said that he had received authorization and was waiting for the parts to come in. He didn't specify if that included the tires and wheels. Will have to wait and see. I don't want to get the blood pressure up before its time.

Per a response, the wheels are also rated at 2150 lbs matching the tires. So if they are willing to replace the tires, then they will have to pony up for new wheels too. I see that I can get Load E tires, but I'm having trouble locating wheels for that load rating in a five lug 15 inch. Again, FR cutting corners and having five lug wheels instead of six lug.

All I know is that I NEED my trailer back. After spending so much time in it this summer, I'm going through withdrawals and need to go out again.

Will let you know if FR or the dealer steps up on the wheels and tires.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #28

Ugggghhhh! This weekend we shredded one of the Constancy LY188 205/75R14 tires on our new Rockwood 2604WS. No obvious cause. Tire pressure was checked the morning the tire failed. Then I checked the tire load rating versus the trailer GVWR. It looks to me like the tires are grossly under-rated. So I'm going back to my dealer and to Forest River. When combined with a bunch of other sloppy workmanship issues in our trailer, I'm not a happy customer. I'm not likely to return to Forest River for my next trailer.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnR Gaskell View Post
well, emailed the dealer to see what was going on with the trailer. He said that he had received authorization and was waiting for the parts to come in. He didn't specify if that included the tires and wheels. Will have to wait and see. I don't want to get the blood pressure up before its time.

Per a response, the wheels are also rated at 2150 lbs matching the tires. So if they are willing to replace the tires, then they will have to pony up for new wheels too. I see that I can get Load E tires, but I'm having trouble locating wheels for that load rating in a five lug 15 inch. Again, FR cutting corners and having five lug wheels instead of six lug.

All I know is that I NEED my trailer back. After spending so much time in it this summer, I'm going through withdrawals and need to go out again.

Will let you know if FR or the dealer steps up on the wheels and tires.

Any update on this?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #30

Nothing yet. The Stealership still has the trailer. I keep getting the same message from them "parts have been ordered, should be in any time".

I think I am going to make contact with the factory and let them figure out this mess. The stealer has had the trailer for a month and half so far.

Tags
forest river