Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #21

we've been on titan talk as well...prior to buying the truck...
we knew what we were getting into! but got a great deal on the truck and liked it the best...had a frontier before so it felt like home . we hadn't planned on upgrading the pup til next year...but here we are...happy new microlite owners!
I meant to ask also what hitch setup you have? we were supposed to get an equalizer but the guy installing it said it was WAY too much for the tongue weight of the trailer (300ish)...it seems to pull fine and no sway noticed on the few trips so far...hopefully it stays that way if we get out on a longer trip. thanks for the input! nice that someone has the same setup as us!
beanpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
The dealer sold me the Reese Pro Series WD hitch w/ dual friction control. I don't know much about this topic, but the 45+MPH winds on our return trip from the dealer were not fun. The friction bars and W/D hitch were absolutely necessary to safely control the trailer. Couldn't imagine towing this camper without at least the W/D hitch.

Are you towing the camper without any sway or W/D control???

BTW RE: Titan air intake --- After a bit of research it appears that there is "little" if any increase in MPG with an intake. I have a drop in K&N drop-in filter and have modified the intake (cut back the tube inside the filter box). Don't think this helped with MPG's at all. Wonder what the dealer would say about the MPG increases for the NISMO cold air intake???
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

This will be the 2nd season w/ my 2106. Quite happy w/ the layout & amenities.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #24

we have a 2011 minilite model 1809s. Have a look! I hated the curtain valances so I replaced them with 1/2 inches pine wood. These valances look much better than the ugly ones that comes with these trailers. We also added curtain liners because the 2011 dont have liners anymore. Our interieur is tuscan cream and vineyard fabric colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05954.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05956.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06650.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06651.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6246  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #25

Very nice upgrade!
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
flyfishn

Just purchased 2011 1809S. I have owned about dozen or more RV's (pop-up, TT, Class B, 4 Truck Campers) and have come back to a small TT and economical TV. I looked at R-Vision, R Pod, and Fun Finder, and chose the Rockwood for quality of construction and nice Tuscany interior. I have put Husky 3000lb front power jack, dual AGM's, Blue Ox Pro sway control WDH, TV mount, rear cargo carrier, cyclone vent, and many small additions.
I had to re-mount several lower drawer supports that were not mounted correctly, or screws completely loose, re-caulk front and rear roof seams. Will be taking it out for first test this coming week. Overall, a very "Big" little camper.
Has anyone with Mini installed Solar? Not quite sure about the roof construction for mounting a solar panel.
Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #27

Roof construction is similar to the walls with more hard foam forming a curve for water drainage. In short you have the inner lauan panel and the hard foam followed with a lauan sheet and a sheet of fiberglass to terminate the work. It is quite solid and can support close to 300 pounds of weight if you walk on the roof. Make sure you have good caulking around the work.On my 1809s I installed severals moulding to cover imperfections that the factory messed up. See my pictures. I know it is only a trailer but for me it has to be perfect or nothing. The first 2 pictures are showing the end night table vertical corner. There was no moulding on this horror. I did the same in many other areas of the trailer. On the last picture I added a moulding between the shower tub and the bathroom cabinet to prevent water mess . I bought this moulding at home depot and it is self sticking with putty . You can cut it to your need and it looks very nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05977.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05978.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06015.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	6260  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
flyfishn

Capucine
Nice job. I also am very particular with imperfections. I did not have real high expectations in a TT in this price range, but am somewhat surprised that quality control is not a first priority with any RV mfg.
Thanks for your reply on the Solar. I am probably going to purchase a 135W kyocera, and Morningstar controler, run the cable down the refrigerator vent and put the controller in the overhead cabinet. I am somewhat concerned about mounting the solar brackets into just fiberglass and luan (btw, why are mfg still using luan?....should be using a more durable waterproof material imo)
I just installed a splash guard also.
gtk
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #29

Lauan is used by most rv's manufacturers. It is quite waterproof to tell you compared to regular panels, but now they are coming with a better material called Azdel. It is a composite material that is supposed to not get damaged by water. Only a small amount of manufacturers use it. I dont see why not you cannot install your panel on your roof if it is not too heavy and create a wind resistance. If you install a screw in this roof you will see how tight it can go without stripping the hole. This hard foam is very hard and hard closed cell.The caulking that you will install is very important. Just take the example with the tv antenna mounting base!!! By the way there is no fiberglass on the roof. The fiberglass is only on the side walls. The roof has a alpha vinyl menbrane over the lauan sheet. Make sure it will not interfere with your warranty for the alpha roof because this roof menbrane has a pro rated 12 years warranty.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
flyfishn

Thanks again for the information re: roof construction. I have mounted solar panels on rubber roofs in the past and used a ton of dicor self leveling sealant. Never thought about the roof warranty. 3-M makes some HD stick on mounts for the solar panel brackets and may go that route. My Hallmark UTS XS (08) was built with 'Carbon Fiber' one piece roof that would last longer than anything on the market. Someday, RV mfg will all start using high tech materials like Azdel and carbon fiber.
Happy Camping Capucine!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #31

Just bought a 2304 yesterday, I hope it works out as well as I hope. I love the floor plan. Happy camping to all!
Campski65
Campski65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #32

Just bought a 2011 2304 yesterday...

I love the floorplan. I hope it works out well. Kinda nervous as this is my first brand-new unit! Happy camping to all.
Campski65
Campski65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #33

Just got ours about a month ago, our first RV. Love it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2222943374.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	6600  
Newbierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
Crew Captain

We bought our 2502S back in February and are fairly happy with it. The floorplan and included options are the pluses. The negatives: build quality isn't quite as good as our last hybrid (Jayco 17C) and we had it in the shop for a while for some warranty work - sharp corners tore the mattress prior to delivery, microwave replacement, bad sewing on velcro, side window was sealed shut at factory, and something they couldn't repair as it was "working as designed" is that darn fridge fan.

This TT is heavier and longer than our previous HTT, but we get better gas mileage with it. On a recent trip from Denver to Western CO, including going over Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel (steep approaches on both) we averaged 10.5mpg in our F150. I used a ScanGuageII to measure this. There were long, steep climbs sometimes at only 40mph with the accelerator floored, so I'm pretty happy with those numbers.

We'll probably keep it for a while, but are already thinking of what we'd get next.
E2 hitch & Primus IQ
Nights camping in '11: 10
Nights camping in '10: 24
FlightCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbierver View Post
Just got ours about a month ago, our first RV. Love it!
Where is the campground in your picture? It really looks like a nice place.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #36

Just got our 2012 MiniLite 2306, we love it. Using 2004 Trailblazer 3 speed auto, any suggestion on best gear to use? D seems to use passing gear quite often?

ClarkExplorers
ClarkExplorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #37
flyfishn

FlightCrew,
Nice TT (purchased from Nolans RV I assume) I tested my new 1809S last week over Kenosha Pass to Terryall Reservoir, and averaged 12.5 mpg, and 40 max up the steep grades with my Nissan Xterra. My Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH worked great on curves and kept my TV perfectly flat. I am spoiled because my last Truck was a Cummins TD with 400hp and 700lbs of torque (never had to pull over to let backed up traffic pass me).
I have now added (spice rack, towel racks, bathroom skylight filter, swing away TV mount with Vizio 22", magazine rack, catch all containers, Inside/Outside thermometer, Tornado bath vent, and multi containers, rear 2" reciever and storage box, battery cut off switch) amenities.
Used a lot of dry wall plastic anchors and velcro......still solar to come, and day/night shades (I wish my 1809S came with some of these items)
my wife works for UAL.....you work for an airline?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier

Where is the campground in your picture? It really looks like a nice place.
It is an awesome spot. Montpellier, Idaho. It's a KOA, the owners are great and the campground is spotless.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkExplorers
Just got our 2012 MiniLite 2306, we love it. Using 2004 Trailblazer 3 speed auto, any suggestion on best gear to use? D seems to use passing gear quite often?

ClarkExplorers
Our Pathfinder is a 5spd auto. It spends most of the time in 4th. I usually hold it in 3rd for most uphills just so it isn't "hunting". The really steep stuff needs 2nd to hold 40 mph
Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #40

i just purchased a gently used 2008 - 1809 Mini Lite. i love the size and weight.
crazy that all that room is in a 16' box. the hitch is 3.5', the bumper and spare is 1.5'.
so, total length is 21' exactly.
it's the 90" wide model (vs. 96") w/out the bed night stand.
my tow rig is a Nissan Frontier crew cab short bed. pulls great!
also...i just installed a 22" Haier LED flat screen above the fridge. it sits in an articulating mount. i had to create a strong/secure fasten point for the mount.
PM me for pictures/instructions.
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote