Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #41
Crew Captain

gtkato, thanks and correct, Nolans. Most of the time I can't feel the trailer back there at all, sometimes forget it's there. I'm still surprised I'm getting better mpg with this trailer than my previous HTT which was about 7' shorter and at least 1000lbs lighter. It's only a matter of 1 to 1.5mpg, but I didn't expect mileage to get better at all. The dealer said maybe it's the better axles on the trailer, maybe the slope on the front of the trailer - who knows.

Now that I know what I70 is like between Denver and Grand Junction, I want to see how these smaller highways are when it comes to climbs, etc. How was Kenosha Pass? Was it a long, shallow approach? A short, steep one? I used to gather as much info on CO Mtn Passes for flying purposes, now I'm thinking it'd be handy for RV'ing purposes.

TV mounts: the 22" Toshiba our trailer came with was too big to fit in the spot allocated for it. So we instead put in a 19" LCD/DVD that fits perfectly and we used those MaxGrip TV Straps as there was nowhere to screw in a mount. It doesn't budge.

I'd like to get some shades for the door windows and the vent in the bedroom, it's like being under a spotlight in the morning.
E2 hitch & Primus IQ
Nights camping in '11: 10
Nights camping in '10: 24
FlightCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
flyfishn

Flight Crew,
Kenosha was a nice gentle curve approach, but climbs from about 8000ft to 10300 in a short distance. This next week we will go over Berthod Pass to Delany Butte lakes, dozens of hair pin turns up and down. We will then go over Rabbit Ears pass to Steamboat which is steep grade but less sharp curves. Berthod is the real test with a trailer in tow. Both climb to well over 10500.
I ordered a wireless rear view camera which I will try out this next trip. I hate not knowing what is behind me at all times.
Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #43

Rockwood mini lite ETC 181 roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Lauan is used by most rv's manufacturers. It is quite waterproof to tell you compared to regular panels, but now they are coming with a better material called Azdel. It is a composite material that is supposed to not get damaged by water. Only a small amount of manufacturers use it. I dont see why not you cannot install your panel on your roof if it is not too heavy and create a wind resistance. If you install a screw in this roof you will see how tight it can go without stripping the hole. This hard foam is very hard and hard closed cell.The caulking that you will install is very important. Just take the example with the tv antenna mounting base!!! By the way there is no fiberglass on the roof. The fiberglass is only on the side walls. The roof has a alpha vinyl menbrane over the lauan sheet. Make sure it will not interfere with your warranty for the alpha roof because this roof menbrane has a pro rated 12 years warranty.
Does the ETC 18x series use the same roof as on ML/Roo series. I thought is was fiberglass. Just purchased my first TT an ETC 181 and will take possession in few weeks.

thanks
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #44
flyfishn

You are correct.
The ETC series uses a fiberglass roof (same as sidewalls), and Mini Lite uses a rubber roof.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #45

The roof on the ETC is fiberglass, the same material than the walls. Personnally I prefer the ETC roof versus the alpha menbrane. I am sure that the fiberglass roof has less maintenance than the alpha. The ETC is not a bad choice for a trailer. It has almost the same finish than the minilite with the same 3 drains tanks and the same size. The only item I dont like on the ETC are the plastic windows. On the long run they get scratched, These windows were desinged from their european models trailers for weight saving.I have seen a lots of europeans trailers with cracked plastic windows specially on the older models.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #46

Talking Finally, New camper photos...

2011 Mini-Lite 2304 by Rockwood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0164.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	6891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0160.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0173.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6893  
Campski65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #47

We got a new 2304S this spring and haved used it for about 10 days so far this summer. We like the floor plan with the Murphy bed. There is lots of room when the bed is folded up and the counter space is a bit more than most small campers. I pull it with an F150 and I do not us a WD type hitch. It pulls ok and I have not had any swaying problems. This trailer was an upgrade form a Keystone Cabana Hybred. No more sleeping under the canvas!
One mod I did to it was adding a switch to turn the external fridge fan off at night. It is a bit noisy for sleeping and cycles on and off very frequently. The dealer said it was OK to do this since the evenings in MN are not usually that hot and it would not adversly effect the fridge.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #48

kcampski 65. Very nice trailer you have. It is nice when they are brand new .
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #49

isn't that murphy bed great? i just cannot believe how much more space we have when it's up!! that is my favorite feature!
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #50

Hi GTKATO
Was curious how you secured your TV mount. I'm not familiar with the internal support structure of TTs but know you would typically fasten to wall studs. I have the 2010 1809S
wolkstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkato View Post
I have now added (spice rack, towel racks, bathroom skylight filter, swing away TV mount with Vizio 22", magazine rack, catch all containers, Inside/Outside thermometer, Tornado bath vent, and multi containers, rear 2" reciever and storage box, battery cut off switch) amenities.

Used a lot of dry wall plastic anchors and velcro......
regarding the TV mount for my 22" Haier in my 1809...

- i used 1/2" marine starboard to create a mounting plate for my articulating TV mount
- the mounting plate is about 8" wide and runs from the top of the refrigerator to the ceiling of my 1809
- at the ceiling, there's a 1" x 2" beam behind the wall which serves as a secure fasten point
- i also fastened directly to the top of the fridge (the 3/4" laminate top, that is)
- then i placed a couple of screws thru the thin paneling to bring it all together

PM me w/ your email address and I'll forward pictures
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #52

Murphy bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campski65 View Post
2011 Mini-Lite 2304 by Rockwood

I noticed you had the murphy bed option. Do you have any problems with having a lot of bedding and the bed not going up? How comfortable is the mattress, have you had to add to that as well, and if so have you had problems with folding it back up?

THanks
dblaettler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #53

dblaettler04---- i know you were writing to campski, but i am going to give you my opinion,--- we have the murphy bed option and absolutely LOVE IT, we actually ordered the 23lb because of that option. easy to fold up, and down, no problems with bedding, there are straps with snaps to hold it all in place,and when it is up, you have SO much more room in the camper, plus a sofa is there in its' place, so you done have people sitting on your bed... as far as comfort.. i think it's great, DH back is killing him the next day - maybe suggest eggcrate or something. in our camper, one of the hooks to lock the bed back up is off, so the slider won't fit, but the other side is fine, so we just lock in one, no big deal. best decision ever!!! hope that helps!
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #54

I have a 2010 1809S. It is the perfect size for us and we love it! I have one thing I'd like to change though....I'd like to replace the front window with one that opens. I called a local dealer and he's never heard of it being done. I called Forest River and they said the same thing. When the protective cover is up it lets a lot of light into the trailer but it would be additionally nice to have a functional window that would let in more air, especially on those nights when it is not quite warm enough for the A/C but it is just warm enough to make sleeping difficult.
ontheroadagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #55

ontheroadagain: I dont think this modification will work for our trailer. I know that it is very nice to have a front window that opens but it will be a lot of modifications and you have to find a window of this size will be next to impossible. Think about most of the trailers that dont have a window in the front and we are a very small amount of trailers with a front window. I know that most of the oldies trailers had a front window that opened and some of them had 3 panes of windows that you could opened. Sorry but we will live with our front window as it is. At least we have one. I own a mini lite 1809s model 2011 fully equipped to the maximum and we love it. Do you have the 14 inches wheels? We took this option and it was a good choice.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #56
flyfishn

We just returned from a 3 weeks (3500 mile trip) to Glacier NP and PNW in our 2011 1809S. The trailer handled well with the Blue Ox Sway Pro and handles well with the independent suspension.
We had a complete failure of our Husky Power Jack the second night on the road and caused a one day delay (replaced with a manual hand crank jack with Swing up fatsway jack stand). The only other problem we had was the bottom refer support came out three times and front refer decor panel fell down. This bottom support bracket seems to just snap in with a lot of finess. Anyone else have a solution to keep the bracket in place? Of course the black water tank sensor NEVER worked (read full all the time, even with some extreme cleaning).
We love the front window for light. Yes it would be great to have that window open since the awning side bed window DOES NOT OPEN because of the awning support. The window above the sink also will open only about 2 inches when the door is open and secured. Those TWO WINDOWS should have been SLIDERS (what were they thinking?)
Overall, the Mini Lite was great for our travels (we were also happy to secure smaller NP camp sites with our small footprint).
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #57

My wife and I are looking for a smaller travel trailer like the 1809s. Has anyone done any winter or cold weather camping? It doesn't look like the bottom is sealed, nor does it look like it has heated tanks. I am ok running it dry in the winter I just want to know how well they are insulated and how well the heater works.
Srelaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #58

We have a Rockwood 2306 that we used for winter camping last year. I did not get the heated tanks we camp in Mi. In the winter and the water is off. We used a ceramic heater and we were plenty warm. We are anxious to do more winter camping this year last year was our first year. Half of the winter we were in a funfinder. The Rockwood appears to be a better quality unit.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
flyfishn

Srelaford,
The 1809S with the preferred upgrade package comes with holding tank heating pads (these run on 12V) that automatically turn on with temps below 41 and off at 65. I fly fish in the fall, and will test the heating pads when temps get into the low 20's. I have always owned true 4 Season campers, and this will be the first without the enclosed/heated tanks.
I think the 12V heating pads will use a lot of amps/night....and will just have to wait to see. I have 2 AGM batteries, and not too concerned. Will be adding solar next spring.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #60

I'm resurrecting this thread as I was wondering how everyone likes their Mini-lites after having some time to camp in them for a while. I know everything seems great when brand new but how do you feel about them now? We will be picking up ours in a few weeks (hopefully). Anything we should watch out for?
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote