Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread as I was wondering how everyone likes their Mini-lites after having some time to camp in them for a while. I know everything seems great when brand new but how do you feel about them now? We will be picking up ours in a few weeks (hopefully). Anything we should watch out for?
the floor is soft in places.
my 1809 is just 3/4" thick on the floor, tongue & groove connection between the seams.
so the only thing between your feet and the outside is the 3/4" flooring that sags from my 240# weight.
there's no insulation under the floor, just covered w/ a black plastic water-proof material.

there's really no way to create additional supporting structure.
it's probably designed this way to keep the weight down.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #62

Avocadoman1: I am reading your tread regarding your floor. I think you made a mistake about the construction of the minilite floor. There is no tonge and groove and no 3/4 inches floor eather. This floor is constructed the same way than the walls with an aluminum framework for the floor. It is a sandwitched floor that includes: a vinyll flooring, a luan sheet, hard syrofoam, another sheet of luan and to finish a darco black menbrane under. All these pieces are bonded together with a special glue. If you have a soft spot it can mean that you have a problem. There is a possibility that there is a leak that created some damages to your floor and has caused some delamination of the floor and created a soft spot. Check it before it will be too late. It is very expensive to repair!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadswife View Post
We love our 2502s...how about u?
We just picked up our 2012 2109S on February 14th from WANA RV in Shipshewana IN. Great dealership! So far it has been everything we wanted. Weather has been bad here in Southern Michigan, so we have been unable to camp. Everything works as advertised. So far so good.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #64

I like my 1809s 2011 and would not change it for any other trailers. It is only 20 feet and it gives you so much room inside. After my tons of problems repaired by forest river all were fixed perfectly and since my warranty is over now, I can fix all the minor problems myself. In any brands there is always something to repair. The trailer is on the road, it shakes, run over bumps etc and it is normal that something goes wrong sometimes.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #65

Seems like a life time but its only been 15 months since I purchased my Rockwood Mini-lite 2502s. I posted in this thread at the beginning with only 8 nights experience. But now I have over 150 as I not only camped throughout Georgia and Florida but have lived in the trailer for almost four and a half months while I am rebuilding a small Craftsman style home in Georgia.

When I move into the house I think I will feel that I have moved into a huge palace.

I had a full bathroom, washer dryer and a counter area that served to hold a convection oven electric grill top and a full refrig so the camper served as my bedroom, living room and dining room. I have a pole barn under which I store the trailer so it's protected and I used an electric radiant heater with thermostat to keep toasty.

I have used all the appliances while camping and had to tighten the draw slides after I hit a bump with the TT on one trip. I replaced the stock shower head with an Oxygenics handheld, added a tilt head to the TV swing arm and installed several LED lights.

That's all and I am anxious to get into some summer travel this year as I am moving into the house as we speak.

Love the unit and expect to have some repairs over time but so far so good!

Best to all and good camping.

S Cannon
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502s
Ford Explorer Sports Trac 4x4 4.6 Ltr. V8
Equalizer WDH -Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Controller
Nights Camped to Date in 2011 - 150
SCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Avocadoman1: I am reading your tread regarding your floor. I think you made a mistake about the construction of the minilite floor. There is no tonge and groove and no 3/4 inches floor eather. This floor is constructed the same way than the walls with an aluminum framework for the floor. It is a sandwitched floor that includes: a vinyll flooring, a luan sheet, hard syrofoam, another sheet of luan and to finish a darco black menbrane under. All these pieces are bonded together with a special glue. If you have a soft spot it can mean that you have a problem. There is a possibility that there is a leak that created some damages to your floor and has caused some delamination of the floor and created a soft spot. Check it before it will be too late. It is very expensive to repair!
after further review, i stand corrected.
the floor of my 2008-Mini Lite 1809 is the same thickness as the walls.
there has been no de-lamination of the floor.
there has been no water leak.
there is no failure in the floor other than "user over-use".

the floor is designed for a 150-175# person using it one weekend/month.

i am a 240# man and i use this Mini Lite 20 nites/month for business purposes.

So...i just had a 220# man walk back & forth along the 3' wide x 8' long area of the floor that is most traveled, while i inspected underside.

when viewing underside, i see "give" in the floor.
that is, due to minimal cross supports (they are about 4' apart they run side-to-side, from the front to the back), the floor gives when a person walks on it.

thus, between the 4' spaced cross supports there is nothing but the "sandwiched" floor to support a large man.
and i see where the panels are joined on the underside, that point gives the most.
the seam runs side-to-side, and appears to give a bit more due to nothing supporting the seam.

that's my story. nothing is defective, the floor has not failed.
it's just been subjected to alot of use.

all of that said...there are so many great features of this product:
- lightweight (can pull it w/ a V6 sport utility vehicle)
- dual axle (doesn't sway when pulled)
- a 16' box (21' from front of hitch to rear spare) that lives like a house
- everything has functioned perfectly

this is a great coach!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #67

I bought my 2306 in March of 2011,
Before I took delivery I had found a few spots in the Cabinetry that had been scratched or tried to be touched up - I was going to have them replace the cabinet's but since it was a 2 hour drive and I knew my 5 year old would do much worse in which case he bicycle made some marks on one the wooden walls so I took delivery of it that way - wasnt really that bad and I dont even notice them now LOL

The only issue's I have had are as follows:

Replaced one of the Gas Tank Pigtails that comes off of the regulator due to hissing and then not letting the gas get to the grill - $15.00 fix from camping world

One loose wheel bearing -had to take the cap off and re-tighten the wheel bearing and get a new Clip to replace the one that was there - $1.00 to fix

Crack in the black rubber cap that covers the zerk fitting on the axle - one call to alcoa fixed that

Had to re-seal the roof with Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant cause had a leak coing in from the Antenna wire where it seperated from the roof. - 2 tubes at $8.00 a piece and an hour of my time.

I have done a few mods to the trailer:

Battery Disconnect
New Oxygenetics shower head
Locking Fresh water Door
Added 2 new Gel Batteries
Replaced the outside light with a Smart Light 1000 in white (Led Bulb) and amber cover
DOT reflective tape across the back bumber
MaxxAire II Vent Covers
Grab Handle for the front door

Overall I am very Happy with the trailer - on one side I wished I had gotten a Slide for more room and on the other side I am glad I didnt cause that's one less thing I have to worry about going wrong - If you ask me would I do it again - Yes and would most likely keep the same configuration I have now - Queen in Front and Triple Bunks in the back.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #68

sherdep, I see you reference your battery disconnect mod -- did your 2306 not come with one standard? Per the brochure, it's supposed to be a standard item on all Mini Lites (highlighted near the bottom):

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
sherdep, I see you reference your battery disconnect mod -- did your 2306 not come with one standard? Per the brochure, it's supposed to be a standard item on all Mini Lites (highlighted near the bottom):

Mine did not come with one and in the 2011 model year Brochure I have that is not even an option - I have a 2011 so they must have just started adding that as an standard option - which I dont understand why none of them have done it from day one and has to be added after the fact until lately I have seen more and more adding it as a Standard Option
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #70
flyfishn

Have enjoyed my 1809S

Now that I have spent 6 months getting my Mini-Lite 1809S exactly the way I want it, I am now looking at the new Lance 4 season trailers. My 1809S did not come with a battery shut off switch, but I added a 3 position switch right next to the positive terminal and under the battery box cover.
Like most owners, I have had some minor issues with the 1809S (mostly quality control issues and re adjustments, recaulking, etc), but overall very pleased with the Mini Lite product and still recommend the trailer to prospective owners. The Mini Lites offer a lot of trailer $$$ value.

Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote