Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread as I was wondering how everyone likes their Mini-lites after having some time to camp in them for a while. I know everything seems great when brand new but how do you feel about them now? We will be picking up ours in a few weeks (hopefully). Anything we should watch out for?
I have owned only two campers but over 5 different trailerable boats (21-28ft) All of these were great brand new but over time, and depending on use you can experience problems. Once I settled on the size and style of the camper I wanted plus the brands that fit I checked carefully over the course of 4 months to see how others faired. I also checked recommendations from dealers who could sell me any of the brands without predjudice, as well as camper repair businesses.

In all cases Rockood/Forest River received favorable responses. Not necessarily overwhelming other brands but high marks. Also I was told that Ultra-lites need some TLC if used heavily or in rough conditions such as off-road boondocking. Although, the lighter weight keeps the loadings down and in some cases actually minimizes problems.

That said I expect to have "wear and tear" issues but on a price/value basis the Rockwood Ultra lites seem to be very popular and a good investment.

I love the unit and would select my 2011, 2502s if I were to do this again.

Enjoyable and safe camping to all.

S Cannon
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502s
Ford Explorer Sports Trac 4x4 4.6 Ltr. V8
Equalizer WDH -Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Controller
Nights Camped to Date in 2011 - 150
SCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #72

I was thinking of camping preparation since there was no more snow on the ground.I have my minilite parked in my driveway but a big surprise erased all my dreams today feb, 24th. Dreaming is over for now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1171.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	10557  

Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #73
Site Team

It's a pretty picture to look at but it looks so cold!!! I'm only to rub it in a little that its 83* today in SoCal but I won't post a picture of everyone wearing shorts and sandles.

Hopefully soon it will be spring for you too.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #74

I have a 2109S on order. Looking forward to some good trips.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #75

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
I bought my 2306 in March of 2011,

The only issue's I have had are as follows:

Replaced one of the Gas Tank Pigtails that comes off of the regulator due to hissing and then not letting the gas get to the grill - $15.00 fix from camping world

One loose wheel bearing -had to take the cap off and re-tighten the wheel bearing and get a new Clip to replace the one that was there - $1.00 to fix

Crack in the black rubber cap that covers the zerk fitting on the axle - one call to alcoa fixed that

Had to re-seal the roof with Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant cause had a leak coing in from the Antenna wire where it seperated from the roof. - 2 tubes at $8.00 a piece and an hour of my time.
Hay Matt

I have the 23LB - same as the 2306 and had almost the same exact problems.

Had to replace one of the pig-tails from the propane bottle due to a leak.

Had to replace the rubber caps on the axles.

Caulk around the storage door needed some attention and caused a little water leak inside the front storage area.

First outing we noticed a leak from the water heater. I isolated the water heater with the bypass valves. Found out the plumbers putty had a chunk of dried material and the fitting was not properly seated. This was a PITA to fix, but got it done.

I noticed the couch is 'separating' from the wall. The camper is not stored on a level site, so this may have caused a little flex.

Question: How did you identify the loose wheel bearing?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Hay Matt

I have the 23LB - same as the 2306 and had almost the same exact problems.

Had to replace one of the pig-tails from the propane bottle due to a leak.

Had to replace the rubber caps on the axles.

Caulk around the storage door needed some attention and caused a little water leak inside the front storage area.

First outing we noticed a leak from the water heater. I isolated the water heater with the bypass valves. Found out the plumbers putty had a chunk of dried material and the fitting was not properly seated. This was a PITA to fix, but got it done.

I noticed the couch is 'separating' from the wall. The camper is not stored on a level site, so this may have caused a little flex.

Question: How did you identify the loose wheel bearing?

Thanks,

Darren
Hey Darren,
I noticed it when I was backing the trailer up and watched the wheel flex and kick out - straightened the trailer out and went to the wheel and gave it a tug and felt the play in the wheel. Once I jacked the wheel off the ground you could tell it was loose from the play - it shouldnt have any play but should move around freely.
I had to replace the cotter pin but other then that it was an easy fix.

I have owned a few trailers (Boat trailer and a Utility trailer) - the utility trailer I bought with bent axles thinking it was loose or bad wheel bearing's - I had to replace axle's cause they were bent (bought the trailer that way) from being overloaded.

I now carry a spare set of Wheel Bearings and Seals so if it comes loose I can replace the bearing, races and seals on the side of the road
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #77

Just bought the Flagstaff 25KS which has the Murphy bed. Can't wait to use it.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #78

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-718633099.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	10666

Heading home from the dealer.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #79

After much looking and Internet search, DW & I purchased a brand new 2012 2109S at the RV show last weekend. We are moving up from a PUP and liked the small size (22') and the layout, especially the queen bed with access from both sides. Got the dealer down on price and had him throw in 2nd battery at no cost. We do alot of camping at state parks that have no hookups. The unit will stay at the dealer until I pick it up in early May.
I did a lot mods on the PUP, so I am thinking of mods already, such as:
Spice rack
Towel racks
Vent covers
Tube on bumper for outdoor rug
Can't wait!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #80

Have had my 2502s a little over a year and love it. Very comfortable. I could live there.