Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #141
F22

First pic is outing with our 2012 2109S on Memorial Day weekend campout with our church group at 7000 ft elevation. Boxer doggie obviously in charge.

Second pic at home of TT with TV, 2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8. We find the 2109S to be a perfect size for us -- two adults and one medium size dog. For us, the walk around queen bed is a definite plus.

I'm in the beginning stages of putting a solar system on the TT, since we will dry camp. You can't see it in the pic, but I had a 120 watt portable fold-up solar panel out, and had it temporarily hooked to the battery with a Morningstar Tristar PVM 45 amp controller. I plan to put two 140 watt panels on the roof (they will fit with little or no shading effect), two 6V golf cart batteries on the tongue, and an inverter and solar controller will go in the pass thru storage in the middle. As it was, we got by with the fold up panel and the crap single 12V battery that came with the TT for 5 days and 4 nights. And the nights were below freezing, so when we woke up very early in the a.m., we ran the furnace (which uses a significant amount of 12V power as well as propane). We could not have made it thru the weekend without the solar, even tho it was a temp setup.

gif hosting

hosting images

I also just finished converting over all lights to LED's. I used the LED units pictured below. Each one has 68 LED's and is a simple change out from the automotive bulbs that come OEM. They are easily 5-10 times brighter, no heat, little power usage, no yellowing of fixture covers long term. I feel it is a no brainer. We dry camp, but I would do it even if I didn't dry camp. I converted all the interior lights of my 4Runner over to LED's 2 years ago, and the interior lighting is nothing short of dramatic. Any vehicle or RV I buy gets converted to LED's immediately.

picture hosting

We will never use the grill that came with the TT. I wouldn't cook that close to the TT. We have a Coleman propane camp stove for that.

We did not use the slide lock and do not plan to. From what I have read, many do not use them, and the full time delivery driver that delivered our trailer, said he never uses them on any Rockwood trailer and has never had a problem, and he is delivering trailers 7 days a week almost year round, all over the US and Canada. But to each his own -- for those who prefer to use them and feel safer, by all means do so.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #142

We have had our 1809s for 3 months and used 1/2 dozen times (weekends)... overall very satisfied.

Only problem so far has been the cabinet door over the bed pulled right off with the hinge. Those cheap little screws just pulled right out of the wood. Easy fix.. replaced wood screws with bolts/nuts.

Quick Q's...

1) TT (with 13' wheels) seems to a litle low to the ground. Would 14" wheels or larger tires help?

2) Single step seems a little narrow (deep?) and you have to watch your step when exiting TT... has anyone replaced with a larger step or added any accessories to make step safer?
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #143

Hi F22
Nice pics, we have the exact TT and just spent first nites in it. We also dry camp alot so I am interested in your solar mods.

On the LEDs, where did you buy them from? and details on the solar will be nice to see when you are complete.

I agree on the outside grill being worthless and I too was not comfortable grilling that close to the camper. imagine the grease splatters!. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that we use.

Also do not use the slide lock either.

Are you planning on Max Aire Vent covers?
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #144

F22 and WBDVT- my 2109S was built on 5/24. i'm waiting to hear from the dealer when to pick it up and have the PDI. i assume that an outside power cord is included. how long is it? have you felt any need for an extension?

i purchased a Fantastic Fan vent cover for the vent. same company that makes the vent.

F22, i would also like to know where you purchased your LED lights.

thanks for the information.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #145
F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hi F22
Nice pics, we have the exact TT and just spent first nites in it. We also dry camp alot so I am interested in your solar mods.

On the LEDs, where did you buy them from? and details on the solar will be nice to see when you are complete.

I agree on the outside grill being worthless and I too was not comfortable grilling that close to the camper. imagine the grease splatters!. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that we use.

Also do not use the slide lock either.

Are you planning on Max Aire Vent covers?
I bought the LED's on ebay. The seller is micro.digital Plug in the following title in search and you should find any current auctions for the same item by that seller. I believe there are other sellers that sell an LED with the identical configuration.
2x Car 68 SMD LED T10 168 194 Pure White Auto Side Indicator Light Bulb DC C3
I tried various LED's, started with panels, but had problems with the wedge adaptor making contact. Also tried shorter LED "bulbs" with less LED's, but these with 68 LED's fit, and this company's LED's seem to make sold electrical contact every time. They only seem now to run one auction a day for them, but I was persistent and gradually won enough auctions to change out all the bulbs.

Max Aire Vent covers ... definitely NO ... only because it will create shadows for my planned solar panels, which is a no no, as it cuts way back on the output of solar panels. Whenever the project is complete, will post pics and details.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #146
F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
F22 and WBDVT- my 2109S was built on 5/24. i'm waiting to hear from the dealer when to pick it up and have the PDI. i assume that an outside power cord is included. how long is it? have you felt any need for an extension?

i purchased a Fantastic Fan vent cover for the vent. same company that makes the vent.

F22, i would also like to know where you purchased your LED lights.

thanks for the information.
Length of electric extension? Haven't had a chance to measure, but off the top of my head, my best guess is about 15', give or take. We dry camp and seldom will stay with hookups, so won't be getting an extension. Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
The MiniLite 1809s is a great size for 2 people who generally use for long weekends and some regional travel. Has everything you really need. If we were snowbirds we might feel differently.
Have a 2008 1809..love the size, moved up from a 2007 1408, both built well, travel solo in it for 4 to 5 months each winter, turned dinette into large comfy sofa..snowbirding is fun!! tow with 2009 dodge Ram 1500 5.7lt hemi..puls great
sselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #148

my 2008 1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadoman1 View Post
i just purchased a gently used 2008 - 1809 Mini Lite. i love the size and weight.
crazy that all that room is in a 16' box. the hitch is 3.5', the bumper and spare is 1.5'.
so, total length is 21' exactly.
it's the 90" wide model (vs. 96") w/out the bed night stand.
my tow rig is a Nissan Frontier crew cab short bed. pulls great!
also...i just installed a 22" Haier LED flat screen above the fridge. it sits in an articulating mount. i had to create a strong/secure fasten point for the mount.
PM me for pictures/instructions.
I purchaced a 08 1809..i am suprized yours is 90'' wide, mine is a full 8 ft', my 2007 1408 was 90'', they must have changed them sometime mid year, I prefer the 90 '' as the bed is longer, the 96'' has a full bed and a nitestand at the end of it, all in all, both the 1408 and 1809 have served me well, I have pulled the 1809 from OH to AZ/CA for the past two winters, in it for 4 to 5 months, mine has the cream cabinets and stainless steel appliances, have portable solar panels two 12 volt batteries..to replace with 6 volt..very comfy little trailer, many other trailers of this size do not have the large window in front..makes it look real open.
Tow with 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 LT Hemi regular cab short bed, pulls great, hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!!
Happy trails!!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #149

1809 floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadoman1 View Post
after further review, i stand corrected.
the floor of my 2008-Mini Lite 1809 is the same thickness as the walls.
there has been no de-lamination of the floor.
there has been no water leak.
there is no failure in the floor other than "user over-use".

the floor is designed for a 150-175# person using it one weekend/month.

i am a 240# man and i use this Mini Lite 20 nites/month for business purposes.

So...i just had a 220# man walk back & forth along the 3' wide x 8' long area of the floor that is most traveled, while i inspected underside.

when viewing underside, i see "give" in the floor.
that is, due to minimal cross supports (they are about 4' apart they run side-to-side, from the front to the back), the floor gives when a person walks on it.

thus, between the 4' spaced cross supports there is nothing but the "sandwiched" floor to support a large man.
and i see where the panels are joined on the underside, that point gives the most.
the seam runs side-to-side, and appears to give a bit more due to nothing supporting the seam.

that's my story. nothing is defective, the floor has not failed.
it's just been subjected to alot of use.

all of that said...there are so many great features of this product:
- lightweight (can pull it w/ a V6 sport utility vehicle)
- dual axle (doesn't sway when pulled)
- a 16' box (21' from front of hitch to rear spare) that lives like a house
- everything has functioned perfectly

this is a great coach!
my 08 1809 has the same soft floor, I have spent 4 to 5 months for the past two winters, 230# long term stay= soft floor, glad I read this, love my 1809 anyway, get lots of complements, cream interior stainless package makes it look larger than it is.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #150

I have a 2109S and the electric cord measured 25 ft
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #151

Thanks wbdvt. How is the 2109S working for you so far? I keep expecting any day now to hear that my unit is at the dealer. One of these days...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #152

HI, got a 2502s in feb. love the trailer.
tnt2502s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #153

GlacierGus - so far we had an enjoyable first camping experience with the 2109S. DW had been having buyers remorse but after spending 3 nights in it, she is very happy with her "little cabin in the woods." Next outing won't be until July 5 to July 9. on that one we will be boondocking at a vermont state park.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #154

Pick up my 2109S on thursday. Then a week of camping by myself to learn and try things out. DW has to work. Somehow I will carry on!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #155

2109s

Does the sofa in the Rockwood 2109s convert to a sleeper?
davehelmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #156
F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehelmick View Post
Yes, it's a jack knife sofa.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #157

We picked up our 2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S in May and so far have put 2,600 miles on it. Only two problems so far. The bathroom door was warped and sticking out a lot on the upper part. Took it back and the dealer put a new door. Also adjusted the screen door so that it closed easier. We also bought the 4" foam mattress pad from Camping World and another feather bed topper so now we can sleep really comfortably. Other than those minor problems, our 2109S has been wonderful and we love it. We are already planning another long trip for this fall.
DOOLINSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehelmick View Post
Yes, it does convert to a sleeper, but I tried to sleep on it and it's so hard it's like sleeping on a board. It would need some type of padding to work.
DOOLINSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #159

Does the 1809s slide-out have "manual" crank in case no electricity? If so, where/how does it work?

I have a "extra" handle that came with TT never been used...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #160

the 1809s can be operated manually and if you lift the front fabric look at the gear motor. This is where the manual cranking is. Same for the 2109s because they use the same sofa outfit.You should not have to be afraid in case of electricity because the sofa works on 12 volts from the battery or the converter.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote