Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #1

Any reviews on Rockwood Roo 21RS

Wanted to know if anyone has or have had this model. I have a family of 3, and 2 dogs. Looking towards purchasing a 2009 model of the Rockwood Roo, and towing with a Honda ridgeline. I've read some of your comments about slide-outs being a problem. Is this model, or maker, reliable? Would anyone recommend anything else? I'm looking for something light (less than 5000 lbs), and under 24 feet.
rkoubong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

Smile 21rs owner & great camper

We bought ours in july 07 & have been camping six times since, with no problems.
I highly recommend this camper,we usually have our daughter & son in law
or my parents sleep over a couple of night's while camping.
feel free to contact me with any questions
ROBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

We have a 2008 version. Bought it a year ago and used it about 10 time so far. WE LOVE IT!!! It does have the typical little issues that all RVs tend to have, such as a loose this or a cheap that but overall its an excellent trailer. Here is a little Pro/Con for ya.

Pros:
light weight
tows very well
has everything we need an then some
appears to be constructed with quality in mind
Excellent breaking
Excellent floor plan
Tons of lights
Fantastic Fan is great feature
Outdoor BBQ is good quality
Suspension is very well suited to the weight and size of the trailer
Decent 3-stage power converter - WFCO
Hard cover on spare tire

Cons:
Not enough exterior storage compartments
Fresh water tank could be bigger (but I guess thats all part of the ultra lite thing)
Only one 12 volt outlet on ours
One down side right now that is really bugging me is that Forest River is using package banding material as support for the seat cushions. Ours has collapsed recently. This is by far my biggest issue but I would still buy the trailer again.

Good luck!!!
mckroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

roo 21 RS

We bought a ROO 21 RS today and are looking forward to the season. Any pointers with this unit? We will be towing with an Envoy 5.3L V8
amphimachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoubong View Post
Wanted to know if anyone has or have had this model. I have a family of 3, and 2 dogs. Looking towards purchasing a 2009 model of the Rockwood Roo, and towing with a Honda ridgeline. I've read some of your comments about slide-outs being a problem. Is this model, or maker, reliable? Would anyone recommend anything else? I'm looking for something light (less than 5000 lbs), and under 24 feet.
i don't know where you heard slideouts are a problem. a huge number of RV's have slideouts. Class A, C, 5th wheels and travel trailers have had slideouts for years. if the idea had problems, then they wouldn't be so common in RV's.
sure, some slideouts have problems. but i bet there are more issues with roofs than slideouts.
we have a slideout and the only issue we've had was not having a slideout awning.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #6

My wife and I just purchased a 2008 Roo 21RS and noticed that the table cushions could use a little plumping. Any suggestions on how to make them full again? I seen a post earlier about "package banding material as support for the seat cushions" and was wondering what the fix was. Thanks.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

Roo 21RS seat cushion issue

Hello EastLakeRoo,

Yes, I have a very good fix. I didnt take any pics of the whole process but here is This link has one of it completed and one of the foam I used.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mckenzie...eat=directlink

The foam is 2 1/2 inches thick.

First cut out the black cover under the seat, this will expose the banding straps and the rest of the cushion. There is a center wooden support in the middle of the seat, just cut two peaces of foam the same size as the cavities on either side of the support. Dont cut out the banding, just slide the new foam in between the banding so it fits nicely in the cavity on both sides of the support. The sliding part may require more than two hands. Once the foam is in place take some 1/8" plywood and cut it the size of the bottom of the seat and screw it in place, this will help support the new foam.

When I did mine I just used the thin plywood under the bottom bunk and replaced that plywood with some 1/2" plywood and some hinges since I tend to use that area for storage and I need to get in there to drain the water tank.

A picture of the support is in the link above as well.

One more thing you may really want to consider. This is totally unrelated from cushion thing. Right now I am dealing with a warranty issue that I have yet to have resolved but I may be able to save you a lot of headache. I noticed recently that the cavity where my slideout comes through at the back of the trailer is cracking on the two lower corners. I suspect there is structural damage causing the cracking which is bein g caused by the weight of the slide out when it is retracted and bumpy roads. I would suggest buying some sort of adjustable support to place between the floor and the bed. I used a cargo bar. (See the link above)

Hope it all works lout for you.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Brian
mckroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #8

We have a 2010 Rockwood Roo 21SS, and our Honda Ridgeline towed it awesome . It was a little hard on gas though. The space in the trailer is amazing.
gendrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #9

Thanks mckroo on your seat fit and rear slide out prevention suggestion. when I did but the trailer there was a cargo bar in the back but it was just laying on the bed. I assume it was for what you are suggestion to support the slideout in tow. I will definitely find it and use it for the slideout going forward. As far the cushion goes I will see if i can find some found like that and work on it over the winter. Sounds like a good winter project. anyway I appreciate the comments and photos. will make things even better in the longhall. Happy camping.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #10

Hi EastlakeRoo,

I think the cargo bar you found laying on the bed is actually meant to be used to secure the slideout "in" while traveling, but I guess it could be used for supporting the slideout too.

happy camping,
arichard33ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #11

The rockwood 21rs is a great trailer for its size. Should have no problem with the slide unit it is a well designed trailer. Newer models are now 8 foot wide which gives it much more room.
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #12

Unhappy

my buddy has 2008 roo 21 ss and he ready to trade it in he says to many problems slide broke shower leaked hot water heater does not work in lp mode
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #13

I have a 2007 Roo 183. It has leaked water since day 1. It has been back to the factory two times for corrections but they can't fix the problem. The entire front bed has been replaced and they still can't stop the water leaks. The factory no longer responds to us when we call or write. I would not recommend a Roo purchases.
WetRoo183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #14

Can you tell me a littl emore about the slide problem? We have a 2010 21ss and the slide broke on first trip... motor apparantly went bad. now local dealer cant seem to get a replacemnt motor! just trying to figure out if this is a common problem for ROO's?? should we find a better motor maybe??
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #15

2010 roo 21ss

WE recently bought a ROO 21SS from RV Wholesalers... received in March still haven't received the title in order to register the unit in NJ... First camping trip the Slide motor stopped working so, no slide means no bathroom, no space, no 2nd bed etc etc ..... hot water heater would not work, DVD player doesn't work properly..... we are wishing we never sold our pop up! is this typical for a Rockwood Roo1!?!?! WE took it to a local dealership, Driftwood RV in South Jersey... they said since we didn't buy from them, we are LOW priority, and Forest river doesn't have parts!! nice people! WE called RV Wholesalers.. thy are trying to find another dealer but I think there isn't any other within 100 miles of here... called Forest river, they said Driftwood should not have a problem getting parts! I cant believe we bought this useless RV! If I could get my hands on a new motor, I would put it in myself, its not rocket science!! anybody want to buy a slightly used ROO21SS
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood