Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Any thoughts on mini/microlite 2109 Vs 2502

Hello all;
I am new to this forum and the travel trailer world as upgrading from our pop up of 17 years.
Now is just my hubby and I and med sized puppy.
We may occassionally have a guest and in time, possibly grandkids.

Since this is such a big decision for us, was wondering any thoughts on the 2109 vs 2502 besides the obvious size.

We just want to be sure we can make good use of this for years to come and hopefully not have to move up too quickly.

We went to a camping show and saw the 2109s and thought it was very nice.
Wondering what the size of the 2502s is from bumper to hitch.

I appreciate any input and am excited to have joined this forum. We already have 4 trips planned for this summer so far and have to get moving on a purchase.
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

I think you'll appreciate a bigger bathroom with the 2502 that has a tub. We like ours for the grandkids to washup in. Not sure about the weight difference of each, or what capacity your tow vehicle can safely tow. Good luck with your decision!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

We have a chevy silverado. I believe we have the capacity to tow the 2502s (have checked into this). I know this may be a silly question but is the 25 the size of the box or the entire trailer from bumper to hitch?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Always Learning

If you look at the Rockwood site, they list the external length:
2109S

That's a really tough decision. The bathroom is better on the 1901. But the extra room that the slide gives you in the 2109s is hard to deny.

Do you want to deal with a murphy bed on a regular basis?

I'd have to be in both of them to really get a feel for storage space. Both have fairly limited carrying capacity (~1,000 pounds). I've never dealt with trailers this size (we went big)- so I don't know if it's actually limiting, though. But, they're pretty close to the same as each other.

I think this is definitely one where I'd have to be in both and pretend to camp at a dealership for a few hours in each.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Ependydad
Thanks for the reply.
I was comparing the 2109s and the 2502s

The 2502 is larger but trying to find the right balance for us. Not too big and not too small.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

We don't have a concern on our length unless we are considering old state or C.O.E. parks that haven't upgraded for the larger trailers people are purchasing. It's personally easier for me to back up my 28' TT than my shorter 17' fishing boat. I think even a few extra feet of indoor space will help with any kind of company, even pets. We take a pet bed for our dog too!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
Ependydad
Thanks for the reply.
I was comparing the 2109s and the 2502s

The 2502 is larger but trying to find the right balance for us. Not too big and not too small.
Sigh, reading-is-fundamental. Sorry about that! I apparently don't read as carefully as I should. I saw the 1901 reference in your message and went with it.

Ok, here's the likn to the 2502s:
2502s

Looks like it is a few feet longer at 25' 8" vs. the 2109 at 21' 8". IMO, for getting into and around campgrounds- that 4' is going to be largely a non-issue.

With the 2109, I would worry about one's ability to watch TV while the other is doing kitchen stuff. With the 2502, I would worry about the TV being in the head-space of the person sitting on that side of the dinette.

We pack heavy, I definitely like the extra carrying capacity of the 2502 (1,800 pounds).

I honestly think the second entry door on the 2502 is more gimmick than actual appeal. The nice part is, you can get to the fridge and bathroom on both with the slides in while you're on the road. I'm betting that you can get to the bed with the slides in with both models if you so choose (overnight stop on the way to a destination).

The bathroom and shower vs. tub that was made is a good point. At a dealer, I'd definitely get in one and pretend to shower- paying special attention to "rinsing my nether regions" and the roominess for that; the 2502 likely wins. Same with sitting on the throne - looks like you might have a little more leg room in the 2109.

Interesting choices! Have fun shopping!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

Have to just add alittle more what we like with 2 entry doors. That being 1 door we use to take our bedroom things in, the other taking groceries & other items in nearer to the kitchen. Plus 2 escape options in case something bad happens isn't a bad thing either. Just our experience. Hard decision, but you'll get help from others on here that own both models.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your feedback. We have been in the 2109. Now have to actually get into a 2502. Thinking of length of trailer for storage purposes also.
Would like to make our decision by March so will keep researching and get other's opinions.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
MI Camperz

I like the 2502 better. Separate dinnete, not just slide away table. You said grandchildren later. Picture while you're cooking in the 2109. The only place for them to sit is on the sofa right behind you. With the 2509, they are sitting off to the side some. Plus 4 can sit there plus a couple at sofa. If you just have sofa, where is anyone else going to sit? That is, on a rainy day or early morning, of course. The tub is also a bonus for cleaning little people and things , or storage.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

Thanks again to all! Lot's to think about. Have to think where we would store the camper between trips. Can be on our driveway if the 2109. Storage place if 2502. We will just have to get inside of a 2502 and check it out.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

You might just want to look at the 2504s, This model has the large size booth and also has the Murphy bed option which gives extra room when the bed is not needed, It also has bunks for any grand kids.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuertz View Post
You might just want to look at the 2504s, This model has the large size booth and also has the Murphy bed option which gives extra room when the bed is not needed, It also has bunks for any grand kids.

We have been looking at the various Mini Lites over the past year (needed something larger than our Vibe 6502 to sleep more). We were excited to see the new 2504s model this year. It is the most spacious inside with room to sleep up to 6. It has a little more kitchen space, good wardrobe space and the Murphy bed option. When that slide is out, it feels pretty large inside. The large slide dinette sleeps two adults ... For when friends or our adult children tag along.

We haven 't taken delivery just yet, but spent plenty of time exploring our new 2504s at the dealer. We can't wait for spring to hit the road with our new 2504s.

Good luck with your decision.
RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #14

PTLady, We find the 2502s a perfect size for towing & camping in. The two of us plus 2 Schnauzers & another adult find it very comfortable. It is short of counter space in the kitchen so I installed a flip-up addition to the cabinet side at the sink which helps the cook a lot. I was advised against this by Forest River because of the danger of running the slide in while the extension was in the upward position but I overcame that problem by installing a safety lock-out switch on the slide circuit which won't let the slide work unless the flip-up extension is in the down position.
WayneMcElrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #15

Thanks again Wayne...sound complicated about that switch though. Where did you get the flip up addition?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #16

PTLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
Thanks again Wayne...sound complicated about that switch though. Where did you get the flip up addition?
Bought the supports from E-bay & attached a nice usable size cutting board that went with the interior of the trailer. The switch idea was my own idea since I know electrical circuit designs. Works great!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneMcElrath View Post
Bought the supports from E-bay & attached a nice usable size cutting board that went with the interior of the trailer. The switch idea was my own idea since I know electrical circuit designs. Works great!
Did you ever contact FR about the switch idea? They might like it and run with it for future owners.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Did you ever contact FR about the switch idea? They might like it and run with it for future owners.
Never contacted Forest River but I did tell the dealer about it.

Tags