Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Anyone have the Rockwood 23RS, 233 or the Mini Lite 2306?

We are looking at the Rockwood 23RS, Hybrid 233 (three bunks) or the Mini Lite 2306. We are a family of four and a dog, our boys are 5 and 3 so something to grow into. Our limitation at the momment is we have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 dbl cab long bed that can only tow up to 6500lbs, hence why we are looking at the above trailers. Anyone have any of these and what do you like or don't like about them? If you have the hybrid have you had problems with the canvass? How bad is the lack of insulation on the hybrids?

Thanks so much
dblaettler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

We were towing with an 03 Taco, and have the 2502s...truck did ok, but in the long run, we felt the TT was just too much so we upgraded to a Tundra. We also looked at the Roo 21 ss...about the same wt wise as what we have now. Just a matter of preference for your family.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

you've got 3 different types of trailers. you've got a regular TT, a hybrid TT and an expandable TT.
all are similar but with big differences.

with a hybrid, DON'T buy a hybrid unless sleeping under canvas is a priority. most hybrid owners were previous popup owners and love that experience. so they are aware of canvas issues and are willing to put up with the few negatives that come with that. and yes, you can insulate the canvas ends with Popupgizmos/solar blankets and Reflectix.

the 23RS and the 2306 are more similar but the hard-sided rear bed slide allows for more floorspace.

unless you love sleeping under canvas, i suggest dropping the hybrid off your list.
i have a hybrid and absolutely love it. you can't get that much sleeping capacity and floorspace in any other type of RV, for the length of it.
but i love sleeping under canvas and hate "shoebox" travel trailers.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

I have a 2007 23Rs and love it! For me, it's perfect for two adults and two dogs. I'm sure it would be fine with two small children. I entertain friends who stop by in a 10x10 screen room because it gets tight inside, although we have brought a friend along a few times for weekend trips. I love the way it feels very open inside for a small camper and it's been a breeze to tow with a F150.

We're currently having problems with the hard slide, but it was our fault for leaving it out for weeks at a time without having the seals checked or replaced.

Good luck with your decision.

2009 F150 Supercrew - 2007 Shamrock 23RS Hard Slide -buh bye!
2011 Outback 260FL
Cleo & Isis - Jack Russell Terrorists

Nights camped in 2010 - 54
Nights camped in 2011 - 93
sunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

anytime anyone asks me about the purchase of a hybrid, I promptly try to steer them away. It's a slight upgrade from a pop up with the same terrible sleeping arrangements. I owned a 2011 Kodiak 181E Hybrid, used it for 12 nights and couldn't take the uncomfortable bed anymore. Not to mention the potential for leaks around the bed openings, both parked and moving. Don't know much about the hard side pop out. Of the 3 I would choose the mini lite.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've had a pup, two hybrids and a TT. Really like our current hybrid because of ...

1) Canvas beds - which is important that you DO like canvas (as Dan said). This is one of the reasons to buy a hybrid IMO.
2) 23' camper towing and 29' open. Huge amt of space when opened, but we have the 233S (with the side-out).

The seals on these Roo/Shamrock hybrids are pretty good. Its true, though, as stated above, that hybrids could leak more because of the greater number of openings. I wouldn't let it sway you away from a hybrid, though. If you think you might worry about leaks, then consider that ALL trailers regardless of make or model have the potential to leak. We have not yet had a problem (knock on wood) with our current hybrid and never had leaks with the old one either.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you've got 3 different types of trailers. you've got a regular TT, a hybrid TT and an expandable TT.
all are similar but with big differences.

with a hybrid, DON'T buy a hybrid unless sleeping under canvas is a priority. most hybrid owners were previous popup owners and love that experience. so they are aware of canvas issues and are willing to put up with the few negatives that come with that. and yes, you can insulate the canvas ends with Popupgizmos/solar blankets and Reflectix.

the 23RS and the 2306 are more similar but the hard-sided rear bed slide allows for more floorspace.

unless you love sleeping under canvas, i suggest dropping the hybrid off your list.
i have a hybrid and absolutely love it. you can't get that much sleeping capacity and floorspace in any other type of RV, for the length of it.
but i love sleeping under canvas and hate "shoebox" travel trailers.

So we are in Vacaville and I noticed you were in Napa. Have you taken the hybrid to the ocean? I am worried about condesation that could occure with the hybrids as I have read this is a big issue and the beds as well as the bedding gets wet. We want to be able to take it all over as well and I am not sure if the canvas is for us although I do like the feeling of being in a tent but worried about leakage with hybrids as well as insulation. Does it get really hot inside even with the AC or cold with the heat on? I love the idea of having more floor space but I am just wondering if the tents will really work. If any of the ones we have looked at the Rockwood Roo 233, without the slide, would be the best option. Did you get yours from Napa RV?
dblaettler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Site Team

yes, i've camped often at the ocean. just got back from 4 nites in SoCal, right across highway 1 from the ocean.

condensation happens when you close up the trailer, without allowing for air movement.
cracking a vent and a canvas window some will eliminate most condensation. when using the furnace, this is very important.
using PopupGizmos/solar blankets help keep the canvas from getting cooler than the air inside, also reducing the chance of condensation.

condensation is only a big issue for those who don't do their homework before buying a hybrid, which you are doing.
i'm guessing you've never owned a popup before, since most popup owners would know these solutions.

never have had problems with keeping my Roo cool in the summer or warm in the winter. in fact, we were in Yosemite last April when a snowstorm hit the Valley for two days. a little condensation but that was because there was 3 inches of snow on the canvas.

but again, having a hybrid means that you HAVE to love sleeping under canvas. i can't emphasize that enough. we like the openness, the light, the sounds of nature and sleeping on a floating bed. so we're willing to deal with the occasional noisy neighbor or putting up the wet canvas if it's raining. for us, these are minor negatives that don't outweigh the positives.

and no, i didn't buy from Napa RV. they weren't a Roo dealer back in '06. in fact, i drove to Chicago and back to get my Roo. i refused to be swindled by West Coast dealers and chose to drive to save thousands of dollars.

feel free to send a personal message if you want to talk more about it, so we don't have to do this on the forum.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaettler04 View Post
We are looking at the Rockwood 23RS, Hybrid 233 (three bunks) or the Mini Lite 2306. We are a family of four and a dog, our boys are 5 and 3 so something to grow into. Our limitation at the momment is we have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 dbl cab long bed that can only tow up to 6500lbs, hence why we are looking at the above trailers. Anyone have any of these and what do you like or don't like about them? If you have the hybrid have you had problems with the canvass? How bad is the lack of insulation on the hybrids?

Thanks so much
we got the 2306 this year and really like it. have used it 20 nights so far this year and have two kids (3 and 2). we tow it with a chevy 1500 or a jeep grand cherokee. both have a 4.8L V8 and a 6,500 pound tow rating. they both tow it ok and I'm glad that i didn't get anything bigger with what we have to tow it with. We will average 8-10mpg towing, and 15-20 not towing. The pickup does a little better mpg, but the jeep shifts better and feels like it has more power. I'm sure our jeep could handle the mountains, but it i don't think we'll attempt that for a while until we have a bigger tow vehicle. it would have to run pretty hard in the mountains.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, 233, 23rs