Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
where did you get these numbers? did you take your VIN to a Dodge dealer? they can use that to get some real numbers.
the Payload of 1480lbs. is payload capacity but that sounds high for your smaller v-8 Durango with AWD.

you didn't post what year it is. also, which package SLT, SXT, Limited? usually makes a difference.
I bet that number is pretty close. I have the heavier v8 and I have 1365 lbs. But like you said I would call Chrysler and get the full build sheet on your suv. I have done that for both of my vehicles.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at those before, but really liked the Rockwood Mini Lite because it had a couch and a dinette. Do you miss having a dinette?

The 2109s has a couch and the bed stays down. there is 2104s option that has a dinnete and then you could order order it with a Murphy bed. so you would have both. We found the dinette uncomfortable and took up more room in the interior
Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #23

The 2104S could be another option. It has the Murphy bed option and the 85" dinette and has a weight of a little less than 4,000 lbs. They are quite roomy for a small trailer.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #24
Site Team

well, you've got good payload numbers, so the 5700lbs. towing capacity is your limiting factor for the heavier 2503S.

by the way, the brochure/website numbers are not the actual weights when they leave the factory. the Yellow Sticker on the trailer, is its actual weight when it left. that's the best number to get from actually looking at it. brochure/website numbers are for a stripped-down version of the trailer, without the many things that most of us get.
like: a/c, awning, oven, tv, spare tire, and so on.

by the way, here's the Dodge Towing Guide's numbers for your car:
Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle Results
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuertz View Post
The 2104S could be another option. It has the Murphy bed option and the 85" dinette and has a weight of a little less than 4,000 lbs. They are quite roomy for a small trailer.
If you get the Murphy bed can you get the fold down couch then?
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #26
Happy Campers

Run the Numbers

Go to the Dodge site and see if you can find additional towing info.

Try this website RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears to "run the numbers".

You have to consider your weight, your partner, the dogs, fuel, propane, water, and your cargo.

Also consider any "add-ons" to the TT. (Power jack, power awning, etc.)

I think you'll find you will be very over loaded with the 25, with no margin for error.

Good luck
Some Yorkies
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #27

Karrun, we have the Mini Lite 2109S and bought it specifically because we did not want the dinette. Just the two of us. We leave out the big heavy table that came with the TT and use a small camping table, if we want a table at all. We greatly prefer the couch over the dinette.

I also have a Durango but with the Hemi 5.7. This tows very well. Took the TT to Alaska last year and had no problems with the mountains. I don't think you want to go any heavier or longer than the Mini Lite 2109S (or sister FBRS 21).

Our trailer as delivered weighed 3600 lbs. Loaded for a vacation would bring it close to 4600lbs. That doesn't leave you much room for everything else.

In any event you will want (and need) an Equalizer 4 way WD hitch. Makes everything a lot smoother, easier and safer.

Good luck with your search.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #28

Another limiting factor is your class III hitch (5000 lb max trailer and 500 lb max tongue weight). I'll join others in recommending a 21 fbrs. Plenty of room for two people, but 3 dogs would have to be pretty small.

My 2 cents: Fill the truck with gas, load dogs and anything else you will take camping, grab the spouse and go to a CAT Scale. For about $10 you will get the total weight of your vehicle and the axle weights. That will give you a better idea of the margins on all your weight limitations.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #29
Happy Campers

Running the numbers

We went from central Illinois to central Florida last spring with our 3 dogs.

We had a good trip, but if I ran the scales fully loaded, and used the TT weight calculator, I am sure I was getting close to MAX load.

My son in law bought a used 21ft hybrid and his Dakota can hardly handle it.

We hardly use the dining table. Instead we made ottormans to put our feet up.

Best bet... Find a used 2109s ,or 21FBRS, about 2 -3 years old.
Some Yorkies
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #30

1809S MiniLite

I drive a 2011 V-6 Tacoma minus towing pkg. I can tow up to 5000 pounds. We tow a Rockwood 1809S Mini-Lite. We don't have any problems. As is typical, we don't have a ton of power and it sucks up gas. I'm careful not to push it and don't go over around 65 MPH. I'd really like to trade the truck in for something with more power. The 1809S is a really cool TT & is well under 5000 pounds.
dgman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
We have a Mini-Lite, 2109S and pull it with a Toyota Tacoma; 4 liter, with a tow package. The towing capacity of the truck is 6,500 lbs and I figure that the trailer, fully loaded is aprox. 5,000 lbs. Therefore a "safety" margin of 1,500 lbs. We also have a WD hitch with sway bars. We've trailered about 20,000 miles with this package; over prairies and mountains and have never had any issues. That being said, I do wish the truck had just a tad more h.p. as well as weight. Thinking (very reluctantly), of moving up to a Toyota Tundra but don't want a bigger vehicle and also the fact that the Tundra doesn't come in a 6-speed, manual transmission, which I have now.
Judging by the specs of the truck you currently have, I would stick with a trailer like the 2109S, with it's weight and length (aprox 22 ft.). Anything bigger and I think that you're looking for problems.
The 2109S is a great small trailer for two people (and one small dog, who loves it as well).
Good luck!
We have the 2104 mini-lite which is similar in size/weight as the 2109. I too tow with a 2012 Tacoma V6 6500# tow-rate. The TT comes in at about 5000# loaded also. It tows it fine but I would not want to go a whole lot heavier than 5k-5.5k lbs. in total. You really feel it in the hills.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #32

karrun,
You can find your window sticker online. We bought a used Ford F150 that didn't have a window sticker. I Googled for it and found it online, use your VIN number to find it.

We have the Mini-Lite 2502S and two 60 lb dogs. We have plenty of room but don't need the dinette. If I had it to do over, would have gotten a smaller unit.
Go and look at these different models of the Mini-lite One of the models has a slideout with a sofa and no dinette. The table with it probably folds down. Ours does.
We went west this past summer and our older truck had the small V8 and slowed
considerably during some of the grades. And we weren't even into the mountains.
Go lighter!! Pack light! Peace of mind and less on gas!!
If room for dogs at
night, that is all that matters.
But don't rely on just looking at layouts online. Go look in person. Something smaller may be just right!

Just my two cents worth.

Karen
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote