Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #281
Due Diligence

My wife and I are preparing to purchase a 3008W early next year. We are sold on the front kitchen design and the open layout it provides. However, as a newbie to TT, I am concerned about purchasing the appropriate tow vehicle.

Their is a wide assortment of vehicles used by members of this forum to pull their Windjammer, so I am hopeful of getting some good input. My personal preference is to go with a Yukon Denali, and not a pickup. Any thoughts this group could share on the SUV vs. Truck choice of tow vehicle would be appreciated.

rovingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #282
Roving Bear, I considered using my 2006 Yukon Denali until a dealer explained the issues with the short wheelbase and the air suspension system and trying to use a WDH. My 3002W is a little heavier and longer but I can tell you my GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali still knows it is back there. But the Duramax/Allison combo is great. We travel cross country so the power to climb the big hills is required. Just completed a 3 week run through Wyoming, Montana and Utah and had no issues pulling the hills. Where you plan to travel may be different.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #283
Rebel.....Thanks for the reply. Your experience is what I am expecting to hear, even if it isn't the answer I want to hear. I told Tammy tonight that, based upon my early research, we were probably going to end up with a 2500 HD Denali. I want the Duramax/Allison combo, and easy pulling. We have much to learn over the next 3-4 months, so I appreciate your insight.

FYI....We only live a few minutes away from you, as we call Neosho home.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #284
Welcome rovingbear. We are a little north of you, Harrisonville is home. We have the 3008W Windjammer and use an Ecoboost F150. I have not pulled the terrain that Rebel has but I love the truck/trailer combo so far. So like the Missouri v-nose club is growing!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #285
Old Car....Thanks for the reply. I have read many of your posts with great interest, as I am amazed at the results you, and some others, have acheived towing 8,000 lbs or more with an F-150 with the EcoBoost V-6. To a newbie, that doesn't seem like enough TV. However, your results say otherwise.

Tammy and I intend to travel much of the U.S. and Canada. As a result, I anticipate being in hilly, even mountainous terrain, so I am naturally leaning toward lots of torque and lots of towing capacity in the suspension.

Want an SUV, may have to go with the truck.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #286
Welcome to the V-Nose family. We love our front kitchen WJ.

We pull ours with a SUV. Only problem is Ford quit making it about 7 years ago.

We have been through the Smokey Mountains to the Rockies in CO. We have been over 11,000 feet towing and have not had any issues.

I love the power of the diesel in the mountains. Only thing is the Excursion is so big, sometimes it makes sightseeing not as much fun. Finding parking places, narrow streets, winding roads all can be a pain. Don't get me wrong, I love the room of storage area and ability to haul my grandkids with it.
Mike & Stacy
Saint Joseph, MO
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2012 Windjammer 3008W
Nights Camped 2012 - 25, 2013 - 30, 2014 - 30
2015 - 17
mike2tall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #287
Mike....Many thanks. I am sure that you have plenty of suspension and power. I have a good friend who owns an Excursion, his hunting vehicle, and he will keep it until it dies.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #288
I don't think anyone will ever say they have to much power so you cant go wrong with the Duramax but the Chevy 6.2 has some impressive #'s. I have experience with the air ride suspension, i have a an 04 nissan armada that i pulled my last travel trailer with, the only issue was during hitch up and disconnect, the self leveling would fight you the answer was to just turn the engine off. Other than that it wasn't an issue for wdh, i think the real issue was the independent rear suspension it always felt a little squirmy, a solid rear axle and leaf springs can't b beat imho. I tow a bigger trailer now with a tundra and it's a huge difference. Go with the 2500 duramax and i don't think you will regret it, put a good tonneau cover on the back if u need the extra storage. Welcome and have fun!
CypressNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #289

I'm like you, prefer driving an SUV to a truck and a truck is not practical for my everyday driving.

We just got back from pulling our 3001 to Florida and back through the Smoky Mountains. My Nissan Armada does great, I really like the air suspension that automatically raises the rear under load. I believe at 9100 lbs, it has the most towing capacity of any SUV?? Take a look at them.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #290
We get delivery on our 2013 3002W in a couple wks & so excited! Will live in it 3days/wk to be near 6gkids. May have a ton of questions for U very soon if that's ok? Chose it cuz of 2 toities, ha!

jonesfit is offline   Reply With Quote