Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #41
Grumpy Old Member

This has been a fun thread to keep up with...

I don't get out and travel a lot but my one trip down into the Catskills yielded another V-nose in the row down from me. It was not a Windjammer, but I am pleased to see someone else enjoying the style.

Perhaps this look for a TT is an acquired taste, like a fine wine or distilled spirit. :-)

The season is over for me and my 3008w is winterized and put to bed for the winter. Hopefully spring will be along soon.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #42

Chris, How does the half ton Ram do pulling the 3008? My truck is the F150 V8 5.4 4x4 tow package and some folks think it may be too light for the 3008.

Thanks,

Bill
rancherwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #43
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherwillie View Post
Chris, How does the half ton Ram do pulling the 3008? My truck is the F150 V8 5.4 4x4 tow package and some folks think it may be too light for the 3008.
Hey Bill,

Given the 3008w's high tongue weight, my 1/2 ton struggles a bit to support the load. That's using a properly configured WDH and a modestly loaded box.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Dodge and the HEMI is more than up to the task. It's the new coil spring rear suspension that might be showing the weight. Anyway, it works for me for now. I don't tow often or for very far. But, when it's time to trade in, I'll be shopping for a 3/4 ton.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherwillie View Post

Thanks,

Bill
I pull my 3008w with a half-ton Tundra (2008 model w/ 10,000lb tow capacity). It does fine with a little sag in the bed but we use the Equalizer WDH. We also keep the bed weight down, like Chris suggested - the tongue weight is the killer on these V-nose units. We won't be going through mountains with it, but it does great on the flat Kansas Highways
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #45

I pull my 3002W with my F150. I took it out to the scales and I can't load down my bed with tons of stuff but other than that I am good to go. It tows great but I keep it around 60 and I am in South East texas so I have not seen a real "hill" yet.
mike1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #46

Thanks for all of your input. Randy also said he does fine with a half ton Chevy.

We are giving up the long range stuff at this time in life and opting for 5-6 round trips of less than 500 miles per year and staying much longer when we get there. Our mountain driving will be minimal, so it sounds like we'll be OK.
Years ago we had a 5th wheel with 1500# hitch weight and it almost buried our 3/4 ton until we upped the spring support so maybe we are over cautious.

Thanks again, Bill
rancherwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
I pull my 3008w with a half-ton Tundra (2008 model w/ 10,000lb tow capacity). It does fine with a little sag in the bed but we use the Equalizer WDH. We also keep the bed weight down, like Chris suggested - the tongue weight is the killer on these V-nose units. We won't be going through mountains with it, but it does great on the flat Kansas Highways
Same TV setup with a 3001W rhyno. Next trip (next spring) I plan to add 2 more washers and drop the brackets one hole down to make the bars more parallel. I'm sitting on 4 washers right now btw.

I did buy the new set of updated brackets when I got the camper back in August also.

What is your setup rhyno?

And in keeping with the thread topic, no Windjammer sighting this summer at all, except the one in the rear view mirror.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Same TV setup with a 3001W rhyno. Next trip (next spring) I plan to add 2 more washers and drop the brackets one hole down to make the bars more parallel. I'm sitting on 4 washers right now btw.

I did buy the new set of updated brackets when I got the camper back in August also.

What is your setup rhyno?

And in keeping with the thread topic, no Windjammer sighting this summer at all, except the one in the rear view mirror.

JR
Ours was setup by the dealer. I'd have to take a look, but I think we're on single washers. The bracket distance from the hitch is about the same as yours, but the brackets height is lower, by one notch.

What difference does the number of washers make? How can I tell if I need more or fewer?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #49

Washers change the angle or tilt of your wd bars which changes the weight transfer from rear to front axle of your tow vehicle.

I have a Excursion which is a 3/4 ton vehicle and I use seven washers for the wd. My dealer set ours up for the wd and the tv felt light in the front end. I used Cat scales to set up my hitch. I had problems with measuring the fenderwell heights. I could change the washers and not see a height change. By using the scales I could see the weight change. I just pulled off the scales, unhooked the tt, and changed washers. Then I would hitch back up and reweigh for the $1. It only took a couple of reweighs to get it setup. I also had the tt loaded along with passengers in tv.
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #50

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Support - Installation Instructions & Parts Breakdown

See the installation video at the bottom of the page on this link. It shows the washer installation and measurement process. I have watched it several times to be educated when I pick up my TT (SOON!)

PS - Keeping to thread - I will let keep posting where I am headed so when we pass on the road we can say we saw another Jammer!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #51

Just got back from the Georgia mts and saw a front kitchen Vlite going south when I was going north. The day before we left, a rear living room Vlite just like mine pulled in 2 sites down from me! His was a 2011 model. The only difference I could see was the skirting was gray where mine is gold. They are out there!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #52

Just came back from 8 nights boondocking trip in the windjammer 2102w.It was our first trip and everything went great except we had a flat on the way home on the TT. The only other problem is the concertone system what a mess nothing works right with that thing...Love the Jammer...
John III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #53

We have a 2011 Windjammer3008W. Have traveled from Texas to Arizona and back. We also are living in it in Smithville TX.
When I tried to register the Windjammer with Good Sams, they did not recognize it a one of Rockwoods RVs. The dealer we bought it from have several on the lot and seemed to be selling them. I hope that Forest river continues to make them.
fastedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #54

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life as I was browsing through Forest River's web site I see 25 new V models. It seems to me they think the V's are a very strong line. There's 17 new V-Cross units, 5 V-Lite's and 3 new Windjammer's. I really like the look of the new V-Lite 28WRBS but I'm not the type to upgrade every year.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #55

Seems to be more discussion and more people with Windjammers and v-nose trailers. As we go into the 2012 camping season I'll be curious to see if we actually run across more of them while out at the campgrounds. DW and I have two major trips planned and 24 nights already reserved for 2012 so far so hopefully we will see some other pointy-nosed trailers. Everyone enjoy the upcoming season!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #56

Hello V-Nose Owners. I am looking at purchasing a V-Lite 30WTBS. Love the floor plan with the quad bunks in the front and master bed in back with slide. Since most of you have owned your now for at least one season, what are your likes, dislikes? How is the quality of the floor, build, how does it pull? Can you tell any difference in gas mpg with the V-Nose? Looks like soon there will be a V-nose in Southeast Michigan.

FYI: I currently own a 2008 Jayco Feather Lite 311.
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #57

Pbrackney, our Windjammer is the first TT we've owned and we've had it since May '11. We made 10 trips--24 nights our first season. The longest pull was across the state of Missouri from the KC area to Hannibal. It pulls very easy. We have the Equalizer 4 point sway control hitch system. As for gas mileage, I can't really say since it's the only trailer I've pulled but from what I've read around here I would say it's about the same as another other unit. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #58

Old Car thanks for the great info. I am loving this Forum and reading all the posts on the V-Nose. Its almost like the V-Nose owners are a "club" within the TT Community. It's pretty cool. It seems that all the V-nose owners have nothing but great things to say about them. Almost seems like a no-brainer. We went to our local RV show this week in Detroit and after walking in the V-Lite, nothing even came close in comparison. We would walk into the regular TT and say "no, not as good". What model do you have?
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #59

We have a 2012 model 3008W. It's a front kitchen floor plan that the DW loves. With the kitchen up front it really opens up the rest of the trailer as far as living space. We also have the free standing dinette table and chairs which allowed us to have the atrium windows. Lot's of light and open feeling. It's just the two of us 99% of the time so ours only sleeps 4. We were dead set on a rear kitchen Jayco until we ran across this unit. We love the thing and have 24 nights already reserved in 2012 and more to come. Looks like Easter weekend will be our first trip out this season.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #60

We are in NY. We travel to the south with our 3065 Windjammer. We saw quite a few in SC. We love our camper!