Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

Attempted breakin

Went to check on trailer at storage facility. Found someone had (unsuccessfully thanks to deadbolt ) tried to break in. Will be looking for new storage place.
Would like people’s thoughts on of door can be repaired or need to be replaced. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	192625
Gpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I am thinking a new door.
Most likely it will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.

You might be able to have it banged out, but it will always look bad.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I am thinking a new door.
Most likely it will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.

You might be able to have it banged out, but it will always look bad.
And probably won't fit right.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpaw View Post
Went to check on trailer at storage facility. Found someone had (unsuccessfully thanks to deadbolt ) tried to break in. Will be looking for new storage place.
Would like people’s thoughts on of door can be repaired or need to be replaced. Attachment 192625
What are the details of your storage facility so we can all avoid similar fates?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
What are the details of your storage facility so we can all avoid similar fates?
I hate to see that, we park our 32 ft at home. I realize all cantt do that. I wonder if the storage place has insurance? If not find a place that does.
Leslie-and-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

New door and frame from the looks. I would certainly go after the storage facility. Do they have cameras or gate access only? If so, seems like that implies a secured location.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #7

Glad they didn't get in. That also reminds me, it's time to go visit my trailer.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

A new door is sold as an assembly and is pre hung in the frame.
I'd go through the insurance because the new door alone will probably cost as much or more than the deductable. Especially with frieght charges for shipping. If the outer frame is fine you could unscrew the old door and attach a new one but I'll bet the hinges will not line up so you'd have the holes from the old hinges.

Is your trailer plugged in at storage? You can get motion cameras cheap and may help in identifying a would be thief. I have one that looks like a cell phone charger and works great.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
DaveAlb

Happened to me too...

This happened to me too in June with the camper parked in front of our house. I suppose they were after the television. They tried to jimmy it open about 1 foot above the lock. Deadbolt saved me as it did you. Called the police and reported it for their records. Also called my insurance company for their records. A local body shop fixed it very nicely for about $300 which I had to pay. They took the door off and pounded it out and repainted. Looks like original...but they are talented.

Truly a bummer what happened though.
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
NEW DOOR

Just had a new door installed at the rally in Goshen this past August, $288.00
(dealer cost) installed by factory TECHS.

Came with the new FRICTION hinge.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone's input.
The facility is located in West Fort Worth. The trailer is backed up to a cemetery.
They have no security camera's on the RV lot and up examination, the flood lights for that area are broken. They do have about a 7 - 8 foot fence with barb wire and also supposedly a high voltage fence running around the perimeter.

I confronted the management and all I got was sorry.

Found out they had some other break in's a couple of weeks ago where they had actually broken windows to get into the trailers.
Luckily there are several RV trailer repair places around the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Just have to do some research for best course to take on fixing door.
Gpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #12

Take everything out that’s valuable and leave it unlocked from now on. Better to let them in and snoop around than have to deal with replacing a door.
sschifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Storage facilities are not responsible for break in's...even if they claim to be 'secure'!

That is why we have insurance, unfortunately.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie-and-Ann View Post
I hate to see that, we park our 32 ft at home. I realize all cantt do that. I wonder if the storage place has insurance? If not find a place that does.
Look at almost every rental agreement for storage facilities. The part nobody reads has a "weasel clause" stating that they are not responsible for theft or damage. Only exception to that would be negligence on the part of one of their employees such as running into your vehicle while scooting around in a golf cart or moving another RV (if they do that).

I'm fortunate in that I have a nice pad for my TT in my back yard (with it's own 30 amp power). If I were to need a storage yard the first thing I'd do before signing the contract is to do a "walk around".

I'd look for obvious signs that they take security seriously with lots of cameras that cover all areas and "Razor Wire" on top of perimeter fences. While walking around the fences look for obvious signs of recent repair where others have cut through the fence to gain access. This is a sign you don't want to leave your unit there as there are those in the neighborhood that don't let fences stop them.

It's too bad we live in a society where your nice things are constantly at risk from those who've totally screwed up their lives with drugs, etc.

Theft and attempts like this are so routine in many areas Police don't even respond to take a report. They direct the victims to a department website where they fill out the form online. Only time anything happens is when a thief is caught red-handed with stolen goods and then they go back through the online reports to see they can ID any of the owners of the "loot".

No wonder so many people would like to return to the measures taken in the "Old West". Present day justice system isn't even a speed bump to today's thieves. Sadly, I live in a state that is #6 on the list that shows the highest property crime rates. We're beat out by DC, NM, AK, LA, and SC.

Lowest property crime rate is NH. Maybe their thieves just disappear into the woods --------- forever.

Here's the complete list for 2017
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

Surprisingly CA (just above the median) and NY (way below the median) are fairly safe places for your property.

Amazing that our Nation's Capitol is the worst and Congress does little to deal with the growing problem which is mostly fueled by drug use.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Look at almost every rental agreement for storage facilities. The part nobody reads has a "weasel clause" stating that they are not responsible for theft or damage. Only exception to that would be negligence on the part of one of their employees such as running into your vehicle while scooting around in a golf cart or moving another RV (if they do that).

I'd look for obvious signs that they take security seriously with lots of cameras that cover all areas and "Razor Wire" on top of perimeter fences.

This is what everyone wants and expects from an RV storage lot...

Problem is, most are unwilling to pay the monthly fee associated with such an RV storage lot!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote